Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

(2) One Ways cheaper than booking Multi-City + Apply funds from canceled rez

Old Jul 25, 2017, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K

I have a ticketed reservation that I will need to cancel (my meeting got concelled so no need for the trip). I know I will get hit with a $200 change fee and balance of ticket can be applied to new ticket. I am running into two situations:

1. When booking the new ticket (ORD-CHS//SAV-ORD) the ticket comes out to $469 r/t. If I book them as one ways - they come out to $378 r/t ( $206 + $172). Called AA reservations and she said that I would have to purchase ORD-CHS and SAV-ORD as one ways to get the lower fares as she couldn't combine on one ticket. Seems stupid to me but I may be wrong.

2. I then asked if I apply the value of the existing ticket ($440) to one of the reservations, I get hit with the $200 change fee and then the balance ($240) would get applied to one of the tickets with any balance getting sent to me in a voucher. If that's correct, do I then get hit with another change fee if I try to use this last residual voucher amount?

Very confused at this point. Not sure if I should HUCA.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
Option 3) Buy the 2 one-ways now, and save the cancelled ticket for your next trip.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA EP
No. U only pay the change fee once. A residual is just that -- left over money to be applied to another ticket

Originally Posted by ORDPLATAA
I have a ticketed reservation that I will need to cancel (my meeting got concelled so no need for the trip). I know I will get hit with a $200 change fee and balance of ticket can be applied to new ticket. I am running into two situations:

1. When booking the new ticket (ORD-CHS//SAV-ORD) the ticket comes out to $469 r/t. If I book them as one ways - they come out to $378 r/t ( $206 + $172). Called AA reservations and she said that I would have to purchase ORD-CHS and SAV-ORD as one ways to get the lower fares as she couldn't combine on one ticket. Seems stupid to me but I may be wrong.

2. I then asked if I apply the value of the existing ticket ($440) to one of the reservations, I get hit with the $200 change fee and then the balance ($240) would get applied to one of the tickets with any balance getting sent to me in a voucher. If that's correct, do I then get hit with another change fee if I try to use this last residual voucher amount?

Old Jul 25, 2017, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by ORDPLATAA

No. Doesn't seem like you'd be charged a fee for using the remaining balance from a voucher in your account. It's your own money. As long as you use it before the voucher expires you should be fine.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
All that information provided to you, oddly these days, is correct.

But do note if you do want to use the voucher, youll have to put the 440 (or 240 rather) towards one ticket, then wait a week or two to get the voucher, then book the second flight and play the game of sending in the voucher to ticket your second flight. You only "pay" the $200 fee once.

Take @Uzzar's advice - book the tickets now (at a good price), and use the voucher towards a future trip where the balance can be consumed without doing the voucher dance.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
Thanks everyone. Decided to just purchase the SAV-ORD leg and then, oddly enough, found it better to transfer add together a small amount of orphaned AMEX MR points with some Delta orphan points and use those to get into Savannah (versus flying into Charleston and renting a car). I'll just use the AA ticket that I need to cancel and apply it to a client trip I will need to take the week of August 14th that is going to be in the $400 range.

Appreciate all of the help!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.