Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flying on Qantas to Meet Unusual Gold Challenge?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2017, 5:14 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Hi,

I'm a lapsed ExPlat!

AA contacted me with an offer:

"To extend your elite benefits through January 31, 2019, earn 7,000 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) and $1,000 Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) on American or other eligible airlines for travel between the date you register and September 22, 2017.**"

and

"**Eligible airlines include American Airlines, American Eagle®, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia and Japan Airlines, as well as eligible codeshare flights."

Now I have to go SFO to SYD which is exactly 16000 miles round trip.

Clearly if I book QF flights codeshared with AA I'll be fine. But those flights are not so good.

But if I book directly with Qantas I can get really good tickets, but it seems they don't count despite this entry https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...nes/qantas.jsp which seems to imply if I book the cheapest economy flights with QANTAS they will count as 8000 miles for EQM and 16000 * 0.05 = 800 EQD?
Old Jul 23, 2017, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Nothing unusual. Standard challenge rules limit which airlines are eligible
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by inpd
Hi,

I'm a lapsed ExPlat!

"To extend your elite benefits through January 31, 2019, earn 7,000 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) and $1,000 Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) on American or other eligible airlines for travel between the date you register and September 22, 2017.**"

and

"**Eligible airlines include American Airlines, American Eagle®, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia and Japan Airlines, as well as eligible codeshare flights."

Clearly if I book QF flights codeshared with AA I'll be fine. But those flights are not so good.

But if I book directly with Qantas I can get really good tickets, but it seems they don't count despite this entry https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...nes/qantas.jsp which seems to imply if I book the cheapest economy flights with QANTAS they will count as 8000 miles for EQM and 16000 * 0.05 = 800 EQD?
Why are the AA codeshares operated by QF "not so good"? Same aircraft, same seats available, etc.

As to Qantas being eligible, I believe it is for a normal Challenge as a joint business partner of AA, so I'm surprised it's not for this status retention challenge; in this instance AA policy seems to be "no". You could call or tweet and verify - I'd request a tweet or email I could print out if I had troubles later.

As to Qantas fares - be aware there may be cheaper Economy fares that aren't listed on the aa.com chart that would earn nothing. See Earning AA Miles on QF / Qantas Airways (master thread).
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JDiver
...As to Qantas being eligible, I believe it is for a normal Challenge as a joint business partner of AA,
Unlike the listed partners: "British Airways, Finnair, Iberia and Japan Airlines" Qantas isn't at the moment, thus the limitation.

Hi,

I'm a lapsed ExPlat!

and

But if I book directly with Qantas I can get really good tickets, but it seems they don't count...?
Those are the terms, you don't get to customize the offer.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also AA fly LAX SYD (so AA aircraft & AA flight number)
QF fly LAX-SYD and SFO-SYD and other USA Australia routes
Old Jul 23, 2017, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Unlike the listed partners: "British Airways, Finnair, Iberia and Japan Airlines" Qantas isn't at the moment, thus the limitation.

Those are the terms, you don't get to customize the offer.
It looks like Qantas is only useful for the usual Challenge.

If I were the OP, given the conditions, I'd go SFO-LAX-SYD return on AA. No Q, O fare hassles, etc.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:58 am

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
That is a fantastic offer!
Old Jul 25, 2017, 11:55 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Took your advice

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Also AA fly LAX SYD (so AA aircraft & AA flight number)
QF fly LAX-SYD and SFO-SYD and other USA Australia routes
Details changed to fly to Mel.

Booked AA77 to Syd then QF to Mel. How does the transiting work. Only have 90 minutes.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:50 am

Programs: AS 100K
Details changed to fly to Mel.

Booked AA77 to Syd then QF to Mel. How does the transiting work. Only have 90 minutes.
You'll go through immigration then go over to the domestic terminal. 90 minutes is most likely enough time, but, if not, you'll be rebooked on the next flight which will be within an hour of the original.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 9:13 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax
You'll go through immigration then go over to the domestic terminal. 90 minutes is most likely enough time, but, if not, you'll be rebooked on the next flight which will be within an hour of the original.
So I won't have to recheck bags or anything like that? I'll just have to clear immigration and reclear security in the domestic terminal?

I like your optimism about being rebooked on the next flight within an hour. The QF leg is ticked as an AA flight so I bet they aren't as generous to me as they would be a QF customer.

Thanks.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 9:22 am

So I won't have to recheck bags or anything like that? I'll just have to clear immigration and reclear security in the domestic terminal?

I like your optimism about being rebooked on the next flight within an hour. The QF leg is ticked as an AA flight so I bet they aren't as generous to me as they would be a QF customer.

Thanks.
You will have to process immigration, collect your baggage, exit customs, follow the signage down the corridor to domestic baggage check, process security into the lounge for airside busses to the domestic terminal across the runway. You'll arrive airside, proceed to your departure gate. It takes time, it's definitely inconvenient.

QF will treat your AA marketed flight ticket no differently than a QF ticket - if you miss your connection, you'll be put on the next flight with an available seat.

I've done just this many times.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Slightly OT - but why do you want AA Gold?
Old Jul 26, 2017, 9:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jay_dubya
Slightly OT - but why do you want AA Gold?
Was wondering the same.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 3:04 pm

It might pay to look this gift horse in the mouth and consider a Platinum challenge; worth so much more (but requires $2,000 EQD and a fee).

AAdvantage Platinum status:
Earn 12,500 Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM
OR fly 16 Elite Qualifying Segments in three consecutive months
AND earn $2,000 in Elite Qualifying Dollars
within a three month period
AND pay a non-refundable fee

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...challenge.html
Old Jul 27, 2017, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond

Thanks.
I am not aware of any experience I've ever had on a codeshare on a OW partner where I was treated any differently if the flight had an AA ticket number. In fact, I was once upgraded from premium economy to Business class on a BA flight that was purchased with an AA flight number.

Last edited by mvoight; Jul 27, 2017 at 7:16 am Reason: typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.