Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA kicks me out of my booked seat - options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA kicks me out of my booked seat - options?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
AA kicks me out of my booked seat (not a FAM) - options?

Booked LAX-LHR almost 4 months ago. SWU to F from J. Seated in 1A for the whole time, until last night, when they kicked me into 2A. I know it isn't a FAM after calling, but rather likely a CK. Obviously this isn't a switch to a middle or a downgrade to J, but I'm pretty annoyed that my chosen seat for all that time has now been moved.

Anyone had this situation? Reservations has said they would call me about this, but haven't yet. Think they might send me to BA if I ask?

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 23, 2017 at 10:22 pm Reason: Restore original post title
Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by N1120A
Booked LAX-LHR almost 4 months ago. SWU to F from J. Seated in 1A for the whole time, until last night, when they kicked me into 2A. I know it isn't a FAM after calling, but rather likely a CK. Obviously this isn't a switch to a middle or a downgrade to J, but I'm pretty annoyed that my chosen seat for all that time has now been moved.

Anyone had this situation? Reservations has said they would call me about this, but haven't yet. Think they might send me to BA if I ask?
I doubt they'll put you on BA for moving back a row. I think people on this forum actually prefer 2A as it is further from the galley.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
I doubt they'll put you on BA for moving back a row. I think people on this forum actually prefer 2A as it is further from the galley.
1A is more private and further from that loudish vent. Also, the point is that I chose that seat months ago.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

For a material change to something? You might not care about something like that, but it makes a difference to others.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 21, 2017 at 9:18 pm Reason: Redact previously deleted post content
Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:48 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
For a material change to something? You might not care about something like that, but it makes a difference to others.
I would check the CoC - nothing material about changing you to a different seat in the same cabin. Annoying, for sure! Beyond that I don't think you're going to get much more sympathy here.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 21, 2017 at 9:19 pm Reason: Re-edit
Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:48 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
What was the material change exactly? You are still flying first on the same flight. As you should know, seats are not guaranteed. Also, how do you know it wasn't a FAM since AA isn't allowed to tell you either way?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:54 pm
Suspended

It's not a big deal. Seating assignments are never guaranteed, and, you're in F via SWU, keep in mind.

And, of course, they won't "send you to BA" over this trivial change, but you can arrange that for yourself, in business class.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Seat assignments aren't guaranteed. Your upgrade has still cleared. You are still flying in the F cabin that you expected to be flying in. Doesn't sound like you've been separated from a travel companion. Can't see that there is much of an issue here - and certainly not a 'material' one.

Asking AA to move you to another carrier over this is, frankly, absurd.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just sit in 1A and tell the FA and/or other pax that it was your originally booked seat.
If they still make you move, take a picture of the FA and pax, and go on a tweet-storm. @:-)

I'm only like 90% kidding. They shouldn't be allowed to do this with no repercussions/ compensation, regardless of the legal CoC.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 4:21 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Just sit in 1A and tell the FA and/or other pax that it was your originally booked seat.
If they still make you move, take a picture of the FA and pax, and go on a tweet-storm. @:-)

I'm only like 90% kidding. They shouldn't be allowed to do this with no repercussions/ compensation, regardless of the legal CoC.
On the other hand, think twice about challenging the passenger now assigned to 1A if it turns out to be Ann Coulter.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 5:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Seats aren't guaranteed. "While every attempt is made to fulfill a specific seat, seat assignments are not guaranteed."

You were upgraded months ago , you're in the same cabin you were upgraded into. You may be right you weren't displaced by a FAM, but can't be sure. But maybe you were displaced by a VIP, Air Pass (the BIG Air Pass) holder, who knows - the airline decided this person must be catered to.

AA is not likely at all to endorse you over to BA merely because they moved you from 1A to 2A.

Enjoy your stop in the TBIT Qantas First Lounge and the trip in First Class.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA MM, Hilton Honors Diamond
I had this happen to me a few years ago on a HNL-DFW in paid first. It was when the only 767 configuration was the NGBC version so there was no aircraft swap and not a schedule change. About a week out from my flight, I happened to look at my reservation and saw I was switched from my G seat (one of the 2 in the middle section) to a window J seat. I called AA to see why I was moved out of my original seat. After finally getting a sympathetic agent at the EXP desk, she made some calls and then informed me that my seat had been moved by someone at the AA corporate office. After an hour or so of being on hold and the agent doing some wrangling, I was moved back to my original seat. This made me happy as there were no more D/G seats available for the flight.

It might be worth a call back to another agent just to see if you can get any more info. You might luck out with a great one like I did that attempted everything in her power to move me back to my original seat. In terms of being switched to BA because of this, I'd venture to say your chances are less than zero. Technically AA doesn't even have to guarantee you a 1st class seat. They could always downgrade you back to biz and re-deposit your SWU. Hope it all works out for you in the end.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 6:05 pm

Do an Ann Coulter. Take pictures of the person in your original 1A, and do a tweet-storm all over the Internet with this person.

(I'm joking)
Old Jul 21, 2017, 6:30 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
<redacted>

Gee whiz! One is still in F, on a SWU.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 21, 2017 at 9:20 pm Reason: Redact Rules violation
Old Jul 21, 2017, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
It's always difficult to convey tone online, so I want to preface this by saying I don't intend this any other way than as a sincere suggestion to make yourself feel better about the situation.

I recommend that as you sit down in 2A, you reflect on the fact that AA could easily have held your SWU on the waitlist for those 4 months and cleared it today, when the only seat remaining in F was 2A. If that had happened, you would be ecstatic that your SWU cleared, and you'd be thrilled when you sat down in that seat. Take a sip of your pre-departure Champagne and say to yourself, "this definitely does not suck."

In other words, try to de-anchor your expectation to the "even better thing" that almost happened, and re-anchor it to the fact that what did in fact happen is still pretty awesome. Think of it like that and it's possible you won't feel quite so wronged. After all, it's not like they owed you the seat. And I pretty much guarantee you'll have a lot more fun if you're thinking about how nice it is in F, instead of stewing about how you "should" be in 1A.

Last edited by HLCinCOU; Jul 21, 2017 at 6:47 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.