Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA kicks me out of my booked seat - options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA kicks me out of my booked seat - options?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by N1120A
No. There were still F seats for sale previously
I dunno if that's a reliable indicator. On my recent AAdventure in involuntary TATL Y, I was told that all flights for the rest of the evening in all classes were sold out. I didn't think about going to aa.com and verifying that for myself until I was sitting in the torture chamber.

Guess what?

AA.com said tickets were still for sale on the next flight out in J and F. It was too late to do anything about it--the door was closed. So either three GAs and a CS manager lied to me, or AA is willing to heavily oversell LAX-LHR and then <no!> over whoever paid the least for their ticket.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 22, 2017 at 8:16 am Reason: Rules...
Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:48 am

Programs: AS, AA, BA, SQ
As annoying as it is I wouldn't expect to be reassigned seat 1A. Select the next best option and send a message to customer service. They should toss you a few bones as a "gesture of goodwill"(though are not obligated to so try word calm and briefly), but the seat assignment likely won't be changed. As a previous member posted, try and view this positively, your upgrade cleared before you got to the gate and you will still be able to swivel your seat 90 degrees... and I have yet to see anyone frown while flying sideways.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by brettsir
As annoying as it is I wouldn't expect to be reassigned seat 1A. Select the next best option and send a message to customer service. They should toss you a few bones as a "gesture of goodwill"(though are not obligated to so try word calm and briefly), but the seat assignment likely won't be changed.
I agree with this. Seat assignments aren't guaranteed but we do have a reasonable expectation that they'll be respected unless *good* operational reasons dictate otherwise. Seat assignments shouldn't be changed as a matter of policy just because someone richer, louder, or friendlier to the GA wants yours.

Also, OP didn't ask us whether he should be happy with the change. He asked what possible recourse he had.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: AS, AA, BA, SQ
Originally Posted by lobo411
I agree with this. Seat assignments aren't guaranteed but we do have a reasonable expectation that they'll be respected unless *good* operational reasons dictate otherwise. Seat assignments shouldn't be changed as a matter of policy just because someone richer, louder, or friendlier to the GA wants yours.

Also, OP didn't ask us whether he should be happy with the change. He asked what possible recourse he had.
I fully agree that seat assignments should not be tossed to the wind if someone who earns the company more money etc. walks up and wants the seat. I was just trying to say that unless the new occupant of 1A or the agent doing the change hops on FT we will never know if it was a "good" operational change or if someone pulled strings to get their favourite seat.
I believe the best recourse would be to contact CS and explain the disappointment of not getting the requested seat and hope that the person responding recognises an (I assume) EXP on a paid J fare should be appeased above what is required. My point of advice in this is to be as polite and unemotional as possible. Since technically the OP is entitled to no compensation (As far as I understand) a warm interaction with the AA person is much more likely to result in an agreeable outcome.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
I have been bumped a few times while originally having assigned seats in 1A or 2A on international flight to/from LHR. This usually happens a day or two before the flight departure and I attribute it to being FAM displacing me.

Not sure the timing of OP's seat assignment change, but I don't know if one can say with 100% certainty it wasn't a FAM, unless the seat change was several weeks prior to departure. I have since started selecting 1J/2J and have not had a seat change since.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
I get that tone translates poorly online. I get that 2A is still a good seat. If I'd been moved to a middle section seat, I'd push much, much harder. The real issue is that they don't seem to value loyalty enough to even send an email or something. I just went online and found this.
Well, the did value loyalty enough to seat you in F when you paid for J.

Anyway, there's not really anything you're going to do to get back into 1A. That's why I advised you to try to de-anchor your thoughts from that other seat.

Thursday I had an upgrade on an 8PM flight, but got done early and did an SDFC to a 6:45 flight, sacrificing the upgrade. Then five minutes later when I checked the app, I saw that flight was delayed to 8:55. So I got put back on the 8PM flight but had to sit in Y. I could have been unhappy about that; in fact, very briefly I was a bit annoyed that they hadn't figured that out when I did the SDFC. But I fairly quickly decided to instead focus on the fact they got me into an exit row, gave me a free drink, and flew me through the air at incredible speed. All of which is awesome. Remembering all that, I had a great flight.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Lowest level possible
Think they might send me to BA if I ask?
They should send you to DY. @:-)
Old Jul 22, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I know it isn't a FAM after calling, but rather likely a CK.
What's a CK?
Old Jul 22, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by jphripjah
What's a CK?
Concierge Key - an elite status level about Executive Platinum with AA.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Is that you, Mr. Schlappig? The horror of being moved back 1 row back.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Booked LAX-LHR almost 4 months ago. SWU to F from J. Seated in 1A for the whole time, until last night, when they kicked me into 2A. I know it isn't a FAM after calling, but rather likely a CK. Obviously this isn't a switch to a middle or a downgrade to J, but I'm pretty annoyed that my chosen seat for all that time has now been moved.
Anyone had this situation?
I had a similar seat issue on the same LAX-LHR flight in May. Mrs. SFO777 and I were book in 1A and 2A. When I checked our reservation a couple of days before the flight, she had been bumped from 1A to 1D. In the end she decided not to go and I stayed in 2A. 1A was definitely not FAM.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Time traveller
I have been bumped a few times while originally having assigned seats in 1A or 2A on international flight to/from LHR. This usually happens a day or two before the flight departure and I attribute it to being FAM displacing me.

Not sure the timing of OP's seat assignment change, but I don't know if one can say with 100% certainty it wasn't a FAM, unless the seat change was several weeks prior to departure. I have since started selecting 1J/2J and have not had a seat change since.
Even several weeks it could be a FAM, especially for international. When I was bumped from 2A due to a FAM it was weeks in advance of the flight. First class had been sold out for weeks so I couldn't even get a new seat assignment. The day before the flight, I guess the FAM decided to take a different flight and I was able to get a seat assignment, again 2A. At least the OP still has a seat assignment.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 12:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by wrp96
Even several weeks it could be a FAM, especially for international. When I was bumped from 2A due to a FAM it was weeks in advance of the flight. First class had been sold out for weeks so I couldn't even get a new seat assignment. The day before the flight, I guess the FAM decided to take a different flight and I was able to get a seat assignment, again 2A. At least the OP still has a seat assignment.
How do you know it was a FAM?
Old Jul 22, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Booked LAX-LHR almost 4 months ago. SWU to F from J. Seated in 1A for the whole time, until last night, when they kicked me into 2A. I know it isn't a FAM after calling, but rather likely a CK. Obviously this isn't a switch to a middle or a downgrade to J, but I'm pretty annoyed that my chosen seat for all that time has now been moved.

Anyone had this situation? Reservations has said they would call me about this, but haven't yet. Think they might send me to BA if I ask?
Your seat is not guaranteed. Equipment swaps, blocking seats, etc. are some conditions under which your seat will change. There isn't much you can do about it. And I probably wouldn't complain either since you only paid for J.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by lobo411

Ah! The never ending search for compensation, no matter how slight (and this ranks up there with the slightest of the slight)! Ask for a refund, full credit of EQD,EQM, & EQS, plus a personal apology from Doug Parker.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.