Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Class Action Suit alleges AA wrongly charged for checked bags

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2017, 11:50 am
Original Poster

As reported by UniversalHub.com, a Harvard B-School professor named Max Bazerman has filed suit asking for a class action against AA, alleging that AA made him and many others pay for checked bags after promising that the bags could be checked without charge. The suit claims that "AA systematically breached the Contract because it required certain passengers to pay to check certain bags."

The lawsuit is 25 pages long, and it's got lots of detail. Prof Bazerman says that he got charged for checked bags on flights, even though he had a first-class ticket, was AA Platinum and OW Sapphire (via BA).
The full suit is here, and below are a couple of excerpts:

In the Contract, AA repeatedly promised Mr. Bazerman that AA would transport his first and second checked bags for no extra charge. Specifically, the e-ticket confirmation email (memorializing the ticket purchase, as described further in paragraph 45) which AA sent to Mr. Bazerman expressly stated that Mr. Bazerman and his companion would each incur a fee of “USD0.00” for their respective first checked bags.

Additionally, both at the time of booking and at the time of travel, Mr. Bazerman had “Platinum” frequent flyer status with AA. The Domestic Terms promise Platinum members that AA will transport their first and second checked bags for no additional charge. The Domestic Terms also promise Platinum members that these checked benefits extend to companion passengers travelling on the same reservation. On information and belief, AA.COM presented substantially the same information to Mr. Bazerman before he purchased the ticket.

Mr. Bazerman also had oneworld Sapphire status because, both at the time of booking and at the time of travel, Mr. Bazerman held British Airways “Silver” status, which qualifies him for oneworld Sapphire status. Matching the promises AA makes as to members with Platinum status, the Domestic Terms promise oneworld Sapphire members that AA will transport their first and second checked bags for no additional charge. On information and belief, AA.COM also presented substantially the same information to Mr. Bazerman before he purchased the ticket. As with Mr. Bazerman’s Platinum status, AA knew that Mr. Bazerman had oneworld Sapphire status. Mr. Bazerman specifically demonstrated his qualification for oneworld Sapphire status to AA both by telephone and again in person when he checked in at the airport in Phoenix.

Last edited by wideman; Jul 15, 2017 at 11:51 am Reason: fix typo
Old Jul 15, 2017, 12:11 pm
Suspended

Another Benjamin Edelman production
Old Jul 15, 2017, 12:55 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Another Benjamin Edelman production
Indeed!

The introduction says

"1. This case is about American Airlines, Inc.’s (“AA”) systematic failure to honor the contracts it enters into with its passengers. AA’s passenger contracts include promises that specified passengers are permitted to check a first, second, and/or third bag for no additional charge. These passengers include “elite” members of certain frequent flyer programs and those who purchase certain types of tickets, such as business class or first class. AA contracts also routinely promise certain other passengers that they are permitted to check their first bag for no additional charge. Yet, AA systematically required these passengers to pay to check bags that AA had promised to transport at no additional charge, and thus breached its contract with affected passengers."
Interesting. And, will they certify as a class action lawsuit?
Old Jul 15, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I'm confused. If he was a plat flying from BOS-PHX, why would they charge him?

And if there is a class, its a class of people who deal with agents who makes mistakes.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I'm confused. If he was a plat flying from BOS-PHX, why would they charge him?
And if they did charge him by mistake, why not just write into AA to get it refunded? I can't imagine they would refuse if he was properly entitled to free bags.

I can't be bothered to read 25 pages explaining why he's made a class action drama out of it.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
And if they did charge him by mistake, why not just write into AA to get it refunded? I can't imagine they would refuse if he was properly entitled to free bags.

I can't be bothered to read 25 pages explaining why he's made a class action drama out of it.
I just skimmed it but looks like he bought a coach ticket in 2016 for him and his wife. He's plat so they shouldn't have charged for checking two bags but they did. Plus he's seen reports of this happening to others on twitter. I'm all for passenger rights but ....
Old Jul 15, 2017, 4:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Google the guy and draw your own conclusions.

Why start a thread without at least doing that?
Old Jul 15, 2017, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I just skimmed it but looks like he bought a coach ticket in 2016 for him and his wife. He's plat so they shouldn't have charged for checking two bags but they did. Plus he's seen reports of this happening to others on twitter. I'm all for passenger rights but ....
The DOT can enforce passenger rights. The FTC can prohibit deceptive and misleading practices. After that, it's the courts. At least Edelman is willing to do the work , instead of just whining about it.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 6:18 pm

They claim:

"However, AA failed to honor its checked bag promises in the standardized software system that AA uses to determine whether passengers must pay for checked bags when they check in at the airport. Because this standardized software, AA’s Passenger Service System (“PSS”), required passengers to pay for checked bags that AA promised it would transport for no additional charge, AA systematically breached its contracts with passengers."

Could this possibly have any basis in fact?
Old Jul 15, 2017, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Google the guy and draw your own conclusions.

Why start a thread without at least doing that?
OK, I just did that.

The guy filing the suit, Max Bazerman, has written or edited 20 books, is Co-Director of the Center for Public Leadership at Harvard's Kennedy School, has an honorary doctorate from the University of London, was named as one of the "100 Most Influential in Business Ethics" by Ethisphere, and has won a bunch of teaching awards. Seems pretty solid to me.

So what conclusions did you draw? (Unless you were referring to Ben Edelman, who, as far as I know, has nothing to do with this lawsuit. Not sure why a few previous posters brought Edelman into the discussion.)
Old Jul 15, 2017, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by wideman
(Unless you were referring to Ben Edelman, who, as far as I know, has nothing to do with this lawsuit. Not sure why a few previous posters brought Edelman into the discussion.)
Look at the last page of the complaint.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by richarddd
Look at the last page of the complaint.
I see.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 6:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by wideman
I see.
Further googling and hilarity ensues
Old Jul 15, 2017, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by richarddd
They claim:

"However, AA failed to honor its checked bag promises in the standardized software system that AA uses to determine whether passengers must pay for checked bags when they check in at the airport. Because this standardized software, AA’s Passenger Service System (“PSS”), required passengers to pay for checked bags that AA promised it would transport for no additional charge, AA systematically breached its contracts with passengers."

Could this possibly have any basis in fact?
I am AAdvantage Lifetime Gold. After the AA/US merger, but before the two airlines were completely integrated, US agents at both SYR and PHL tried to charge me for a checked bag -- because the computer said so. I had to bring up on my smartphone US' baggage-policy page (which showed that AAdvantage Golds were entitled to a free checked bag on US) before the agents relented, and were somehow able to override the system. (And I also held a qualifying Citi/AAdvantage credit card at the time, which independently qualified me for a free checked bag on US.)

So yes, I think it is -- or at least was -- possible for an airline's computer to be improperly programmed re: checked-baggage allowances.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Further googling and hilarity ensues
Alas, why either of them could figure out why they think this is worth attaching his name to ...surely there must be something else that has more meat to it.

If the class is one who have been the victims of inadvertent mistakes by those in a customer facing role ... that's a big class!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.