Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA Tales: woman pulls, slaps FA for not serving her alcohol

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA Tales: woman pulls, slaps FA for not serving her alcohol

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2017, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by aviatorzz
People are quick to jump on the gate agent retraining, well, train. But most people forget that once you are at altitude, whatever you have consumed and/or will consume is tripled in the air. So if she had two glasses of wine, it essentially is six.
That's an urban legend type thing.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 1:08 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by enviroian
Interesting. I wasn't aware of this and always believed what I had read to be true. So pretty much a old wives tale then.
Pretty much.

Alcohol could cause undue effects, but not to that extent, on a tired, jet lagged and dehydrated person. Or, something to consider as possible, much more on someone who had taken certain OTC or Rx medications.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by JDiver
Pretty much.

Alcohol could cause undue effects, but not to that extent, on a tired, jet lagged and dehydrated person. Or, something to consider as possible, much more on someone who had taken certain OTC or Rx medications.
Or already knocked back 3 more on the ground....
Old Jul 16, 2017, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enviroian
Or already knocked back 3 more on the ground....
I suspect, as others have posted above, more than two glasses of wine on the previous flight and maybe some on the ground at DFW.

But quite a few meds can potentiare alcohol or vice versa. The benzodiazipines, muscle relaxers (Valium!), even some antihistamines can do this.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 1:47 pm

Since she is 'rich' then she can afford to compensate all those people she inconvenienced on this flight by acting so poorly. The FA should get at least a few million from this 'rich' person.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MrTemporal
Since she is 'rich' then she can afford to compensate all those people she inconvenienced on this flight by acting so poorly. The FA should get at least a few million from this 'rich' person.
The diversion alone must have been costly. Add law enforcement costs, the costs of handling an unscheduled jet gate...
Old Jul 16, 2017, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by abk
Then there is always the question of whether AA over served her and is responsible for creating the situation.
AA let her on the flight or they overserved. Does pax have any responsibility?
Old Jul 16, 2017, 7:16 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by zitsky
AA let her on the flight or they overserved. Does pax have any responsibility?
My original post was meant to be slightly tongue and cheek; however if you view AA as a single enterprise which IMHO it is then a "rich" woman who may have had a couple at the Admirals club, then two or more likely a little more on the plane and then a quick one at the Dfw club may have got on the plane drunk having not paid for a drink but having been served complimentary by AA.
Depending on the state law, if she had injured a third party under the Dram Shop laws AA would possibly have some liability.

As an aside, that sounds a lot like some of my trips to Asia when I was in my 30s ( which sadly was like 25 years ago) except for the part about the FA.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Woman Brags She’s Rich, Demands Alcohol, Slaps Flight Attendant and Bangs on Cockpit Door
by Gary Leff on July 15, 2017 (link) (video of cops removing woman)

She's She's described as slurring her words and ring unsteady, and into full DYKWIA on a 691 mile DFW-MLI on a CRJ-900. She's allegedly bragging she's rich, flying first class and grabs the FA, pulls her down on her lap, tells her she'll get her fired - and as the FA rises she slaps her. Lady DYKWIA then bangs at the cockpit door to tell the pilot about the FA.

The pilot turns the aircraft around to DFW, where police remove Ms. Rich Firstclass from the aircraft so it can resume its originally scheduled flight.

Great way to get free lodging at the "graybar lodge"; fabulous career move.
I hope the FA sues her and makes her less rich
Old Jul 17, 2017, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Aventine
She probably should be going to AA
Maybe that is why she chose to fly AA
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by jcatman
Drunk & Dangerous Diva needs to dry out.
Precisely! They should keep it out of the aircraft. They have to stay in sobers for 8 hours. If you see someone who drinking too much. They will not able to fly.

Originally Posted by abk
Then there is always the question of whether AA over served her and is responsible for creating the situation.
Yes, she was responsible for her behaviors. She will put on no-fly list for 5 years. She will be banned from flying for 5 years. She need to be punished.

Originally Posted by cmd320
Let's not get ahead of ourselves here...

Still inexcusable behavior for the passenger. GA should definitely get some re-training.
Right! I'm actually agree with you. GA will have to do retraining. They should keep it safe.

Originally Posted by Aventine
She probably should be going to AA
Yes, she did. She flown on AA.

Originally Posted by mvoight
Maybe that is why she chose to fly AA
Yes, she took on AA.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by aviatorzz
People are quick to jump on the gate agent retraining, well, train. But most people forget that once you are at altitude, whatever you have consumed and/or will consume is tripled in the air. So if she had two glasses of wine, it essentially is six.
Source? I've never heard that drinking at a ski resort (8k ft+) is 3x. I had 3 at 11k ft last month and had no abnormal issues.

Assuming this was 5771 on Thursday, the flight diverted 15 minutes into the flight, so I don't think it was being overserved on the flight. The flight hadn't even finished climbing yet.

Originally Posted by N830MH
She will put on no-fly list for 5 years. She will be banned from flying for 5 years.
Again - source?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 1:05 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
The diversion alone must have been costly. Add law enforcement costs, the costs of handling an unscheduled jet gate...
Unless this incident necessitated overtime, there are no 'marginal' law enforcement or gate agent costs. Trying to recoup something that is not incremental seems grossly unfair to me.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
I suspect, as others have posted above, more than two glasses of wine on the previous flight and maybe some on the ground at DFW.

But quite a few meds can potentiare alcohol or vice versa. The benzodiazipines, muscle relaxers (Valium!), even some antihistamines can do this.
This could also be severe dehydration from the day before. Alcohol abuse that results in a hangover makes you wobbly, irritable, even combative the next day. Possible this person had only a few before boarding, say at the AC, and had a low/mid BAL, but tripped off line. No way to tell. But physically assaulting another pax or crew to me = mean hungover/drunk and probably mean when sober also.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA, 3MM
Sure, two drinks, the first one and the last one. What they don't tell you is how many in between.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.