Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Ticket Refund and Related (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2017, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Ticket Refunds and Policies
As of 1 Apr 2016, 24 hour free cancellation, except bookings purchased within seven days of travel, is standard. Tickets purchased within seven days of travel are exempt from 24 hour cancellation policies, per USDOT.

NOTE: Hold can be used when offered. (As of 3 Nov 2016, AA randomly offers free 24 hour hold to those booking travel over seven days out, and some still report being offered up to 7 days hold for $15.99.)

Current refunds policy:

"You have 24 hours to cancel your trip for a full refund if you booked at least 7 days prior to departure. Link to AA Refunds FAQ."
Getting a reservation refunded is a two-step process. First cancel the reservation on aa.com or by calling Reservations, then second request the refund at http://prefunds.aa.com.

For bookings made online, AA may continue to sometimes offer hold for unspecified interim going forward, but 24 hours hold via telephone booking may no longer be granted by agents (though occasional ones might anyway).
update July 2016

AA follows USDOT requirements to the letter:● 24 hour cancellation with refund and no penalty, though

● No free 24-hour cancellations for purchases made within seven days of flying
(except on refundable fares)

● 24 hour hold will be offered for some random (at least to passengers) online bookings for some tickets for an undetermined interim period of time

● Extended hold for pay will still be offered online on many bookings (not within seven days)

● The five day holds for awards remains unaffected, but be aware all awards by non-elites also incur a $75 close in processing fee for 21 days or fewer from booking to flying.

● Awards that are cancelled incur a $150 redeposit fee (and $25 per other awards from the same account), except for Concierge Key and Executive Platinum members.
Fully refundable tickets that are cancelled: fare, fees and taxes will be returned to the original form of payment (FOP).

Nonrefundable tickets that are cancelled voluntarily: AA will generally issue a voucher for the fare, taxes and fees less the change fee described in the detailed fare rules. The voucher may be used for AA flights and other limited purposes. See Transportation Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread.

Full refunds, even for nonrefundable tickets, may often be made for the full fare, fees and taxes:

"We do not refund nonrefundable American Airlines tickets except when the ticket is cancelled within 24 hours of purchase, when we make a schedule change that results in a change of 61 minutes or more, upon the death of a passenger or passenger's travelling companion or because of military orders. Supporting documentation is required."

Some equipment changes, such as purchasing international First and being changed to a flight without First class, or a domestic F or Business seat is eliminated by substituting a single class Economy cabin, may also allow a full refund.

Don't forget to look at other venues for tickets, such as OTAs, if purchasing within the 7 day window and you would like some hedging protection. Expedia offers 24 hour cancellation on AA itineraries within the 7 day window and many AA itineraries can be held via Expedia Trip Lock (which charges a small fee to hold a fare for 48 hours).

Print Wikipost

AA Ticket Refund and Related (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2017, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Robert, I wish you and your spouse a speedy recovery. One thing that hasn't been mentioned, is to check if there has been a schedule change in your trip, a substantial change can be in your favor as you can request full cancellation. As others have pointed out, you bought a non refundable ticket, you clearly agreed to its terms once you purchased it. Nowhere in the terms did it mentioned any exception due to health issues. You might luck out and find a sympathetic agent that might make an exception, but that may not happen as well. I suggest is best to wait and see if a potential change occur.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 7, 2017 at 11:50 am Reason: Repair
Old Sep 6, 2017, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by RobertHodge
Recently my spouse and I had to cancel our reservation in August 2017 for a flight departing 10/28/17 due to medical emergencies. I had pancreatitis which resulted in emergency surgery on 8/3/17 and my spouse had to undergo emergency surgery on 8/22/17 to remove a cancerous prostate. Both of these conditions were life-threatening and both of our surgeons do not want us to travel for the next few months. This was memorialized in letters from the surgeons and were available by phone for further verification. Unfortunately, we were denied a refund by American Airlines, despite the fact that the cancellation was at least 2 months in advance. I was informed that the decision was made because these medical conditions were not life threatening. Unbelievable that a business can be so unprofessional and uncompassionate- prostate cancer and pancreatitis is not life-threatening??? Really? I wonder what public opinion will think of that. Undoubtedly, American Airline is able to fill those seats so there is no loss to American Airlines; besides you overbook anyway. BTW - my spouse and I have loyally used US Airlines/ American Airlines twice a year for the past 17 years to go on cruises. I find it extremely disconcerting that American Airlines would be willing to sacrifice the loss of future business over a few bucks ($1300); but most disturbing is the total disregard for compassion and understanding.
Were the tickets purchased with a credit card that provides free "trip cancellation" insurance?
50ae likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I have to side with AA on this one. You entered into an agreement, a contract, with AA for your travels with specific stipulations, terms & fee schedules. If your appendix has burst or you had a clot in your lung I'd be with you but your health conditions, while serious, had time to be treated so this is a case for your travel insurance.

BUT, AA as an act of good faith should allow you to have the amount of your purchase given in a form of a travel credit with or without a fee for doing so. Airlines are known for doing so. I suggest reaching out to them again via social media or the via the rejection letter email very simply laying out that your travels cannot continue due to documented medical reasons of which you will gladly provide them and request a credit for future travels once you're able. Stick to facts and keep it simple. You can mention that after years of flying with AA you'd hate this to be your last impression or something of the line but don't go overboard.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 9:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk and sorry to hear about these issues.

Please follow the redirect as we move this to the AA forum.

Please note this thread started in the Flame Free Information Desk.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:33 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
AA frequently makes flight changes, if the change is more than 2 hours(?), one would be entitled to a refund. So, would there by any reason to cancel early vs. waiting until the day of the flight?
On the other hand, OP did not know AA would be rule stickler and (naturally) assumed that early notification to AA of their medical conditons was prudent.
I am confused re AA's response, if it were a medical emergency (in AAs eyes) would they have allowed a cancellation with a refund
Old Sep 7, 2017, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by nrr
AA frequently makes flight changes, if the change is more than 2 hours(?), one would be entitled to a refund. So, would there by any reason to cancel early vs. waiting until the day of the flight?
On the other hand, OP did not know AA would be rule stickler and (naturally) assumed that early notification to AA of their medical conditons was prudent.
I am confused re AA's response, if it were a medical emergency (in AAs eyes) would they have allowed a cancellation with a refund
I was also confused by that statement, because for domestic tickets in recent years, for discounted economy, I have only seen comments in the terms relating to death, and not to other medical issues. If airlines did this, there would be no need for a travel insurance industry that insures for this type of thing. My personal feeling is that I am willing to self insurance with the potential loss normally being the price of the change fee.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 5:54 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by nrr
Back in Apr 2014 I had to cancel a trip to Europe because I suffered a minor heart attack less than a week before the trip occurred. The agent was very sympathetic when I contacted her, we talked a bit about what I was going through at the time. I was well aware of AA t&c and did not ask for anything. Months latter when I got the green light from the doctor I check trips and so that the prices had no changed at all, called and had the trip re-booked at a new date with no penalty fees paid.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 6:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plt, AA AC
This is one of the reasons why I have the AA Citi Executive card. It provides coverage in these instances. Last year I had 1500$ worth of tickets (3 round trips) planned from SBP-DFW and I got laid off from that job so they refunded the ticket cost for me. It took a couple months but it did work out.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 7:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
If you ask nicely for credit, I have found they usually are helpful. But you can't go into the conversation assuming they should refund you, when that's not what you bought.

Try calling again and asking even for credit so that you can use the tickets at a later date when you are both healthy again.
JonNYC, aztimm and jhartvu like this.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 11:41 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
Originally Posted by RobertHodge
Recently my spouse and I had to cancel our reservation in August 2017 for a flight departing 10/28/17 due to medical emergencies. I had pancreatitis which resulted in emergency surgery on 8/3/17 and my spouse had to undergo emergency surgery on 8/22/17 to remove a cancerous prostate. Both of these conditions were life-threatening and both of our surgeons do not want us to travel for the next few months. This was memorialized in letters from the surgeons and were available by phone for further verification. Unfortunately, we were denied a refund by American Airlines, despite the fact that the cancellation was at least 2 months in advance. I was informed that the decision was made because these medical conditions were not life threatening. Unbelievable that a business can be so unprofessional and uncompassionate- prostate cancer and pancreatitis is not life-threatening??? Really? I wonder what public opinion will think of that. Undoubtedly, American Airline is able to fill those seats so there is no loss to American Airlines; besides you overbook anyway. BTW - my spouse and I have loyally used US Airlines/ American Airlines twice a year for the past 17 years to go on cruises. I find it extremely disconcerting that American Airlines would be willing to sacrifice the loss of future business over a few bucks ($1300); but most disturbing is the total disregard for compassion and understanding.
It is unfortunate you both experienced medical issues.

However, let us not make assertions that aren't factual.

-Prostate cancer surgery (prostatectomy) is never an emergency surgery.
-In general, in the US prostatectomies are scheduled at least 6 weeks after diagnosis and can be safely done according most reports even a year after diagnosis with no impact on long term outcomes

So based on those two facts, it is a bit much to say that it suddenly had to be done prior to your trip.

Additionally, your flight is scheduled 2 months after prostatectomy. Most surgical services would indicate that at 2 months after pelvic surgery there would be no contraindication to flight.

I get that the trip may not be desirable now after these medical events but to say medical events in august will preclude flights the end of October is difficult to reconcile.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 12:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk. And, I'm glad you're both recovering.

Most, if not indeed all, of us have learned (from FlyerTalk, more often than not):

1) Read the detailed fare rules (clickable on aa.com before purchasing), read and even print them to a PDF. Nearly all discounted fares require change fees (usually $200-400 per ticket) for changes. Most also do not allow free changes or cancellation unless for death of close family member or travel companion. These tickets can generally be canceled and the residual (after fees) used within a year of booking toward other flights.

2) Be sure you have trip cancellation, etc. insurance if you feel you can't "self insure" (eat the lost amount), whether it's a trip insurance policy or annual travel insurance policy, a credit card that provides you with trip cancellation insurance, etc. Particularly with cruise ship companies, you'll find their cancellation policies are as strict as the airlines'.

3) The airlines have competent medical personnel to advise them of fitness to fly issues, including these. I'm guessing they felt two months' recovery would be sufficient to be fit to fly. And I'm sure they have a different view of what is "life threatening" and what realistic recovery times are for specific procedures than you and your spouse, the person's undergoing the procedures.

4) I'd have recommended cancellation closer - much closer - to date of departure. Then you'd know if you could travel, and as has been mentioned, the airlines make frequent chang s. A change of two hours or more entitles you to cancel without charge and full refundability.

5) Airlines have no soul, and their compassion exists only as embodied by their employees - that may vary a lot, but generally the airline employees won't stray too far from policy lest they be disciplined for doing so.

You likely can still follow the information given in 1) (and by others here).

See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html.

See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ancel-etc.html, where this all may end up.

Be sure to read the Wikipost at the top of the pages in each thread.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 7, 2017 at 1:35 pm
Old Sep 7, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
As others have noted in more detailed posts, check your credit card. You may have coverage for this.

And ... best wishes for your recovery.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 3:34 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
I cancelled a Germany-USA AA ticket (feeder on BA) and don't think I was issued an MCO, was just told to call back in and pick a new flight with a $200 change fee.

However, I was told that because this ticket is in EUR I can only book an itinerary ex-EU because it must also be denominated in EUR. Is this true?

Additionally, since most of the ticket is actually just taxes, is it possible to just refund it and lose the base fare but receive the taxes?
Old Feb 26, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Ambassador
A few weeks ago I was on a QR J ticket from ZNZ to DTW through DOH and PHL (all one ticket issued by QR). PHL-DTW was on AA. AA cancelled my PHL-DTW flight due to weather. I decided at PHL to rent a car and drive home and get a refund for my PHL-DTW segment. Since this was a QR issued ticket, I expected to go through the refund process with QR, however, the AA transfer desk at PHL informed me that since AA had taken over the ticket, I actually need to submit the refund request through their website with the AA ticket number for the PHL-DTW segment. They also advised me that my refund amount was $777.50 for the PHL-DTW segment. On my way home, I called QR and the AA Executive Platinum desk and both independently confirmed what the AA PHL transfer desk had advised me. Once getting home, I submitted the request through AA's website using my AA ticket number and a few days later my ticket showed as refunded, however, without a dollar amount. I called the EP desk and the agent was able to confirm the refund and see the amount of $777.50. At the time, I was unable to get a straight answer from AA or QR as to whether the refund was going to come from AA or QR, they naturally both pointed fingers at each other (I never provided my credit card information to AA which prompted my question).

This all happened about three weeks ago. Today I decided to push the issue with AA. They claimed that they authorized the refund on my ticket for $777.50 and the information was sent to QR. I called QR and this time the QR agent mentioned that she was able to see that AA had authorized the PHL-DTW segment for a refund (using the AA ticket number), but could not see a dollar amount. She contacted QR's refund desk and came back to me confirming what AA had told me, that QR needed to receive the refund authorization from AA, which they could see on the ticket, but then work with the Oneworld desk to actually process the refund as they still could not see the dollar amount. The agent took down my information, confirmed my credit card that I had used to initially purchase the ticket, and advised me that her refund department told her it could take up to a month for them to actually get me the refund since the Oneworld desk was involved.

It appears that I may have actually gotten somewhere today, however, in all my years as an EP travelling with AA and their partners, I have never had this exact situation happen where AA started the refund process on a ticket they initially didn't issue. I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this and was the process followed similar?

Last edited by umaa83; Feb 26, 2018 at 9:03 am
Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I booked a ticket last night and the schedule doesn't work for my wife so I need to change it (it's been about 10 hours as of writing)

The question is, how long do refunds take? I paid with 2x$100 GC plus credit card. To rebook I still want to reuse them. Or will the reservations desk, if I call, just change the schedule (and charge fare difference only)?

Edit: Decided to just call and find out since the hold times weren't bad. What I found odd was that the prices the agent quoted (after telling me that within 24hr she could waive the change fee) were higher than AA.com for the different itinerary. Is that something that happens - fares differing online vs the phone agent? And as I'm getting close to 60 days out if I do cancel, and wait for the refund to my gift card, and rebook, how likely is it that fare rules change and prices go up even more?

Last edited by Gig103; Mar 6, 2018 at 8:27 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.