Wiki Posts
Search

Checking in online for another person

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2017, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, WF GoFar Rewards, AAdvantage, United MileagePlus
Checking in online for my mother

On July 14, my mother is flying BOS-PHX nonstop, however, she doesn't have a seat assignment since only premium seats were available to select.

I am in the Phoenix area, and I was wondering, is there a way I can send her a mobile boarding pass without using the American Airlines app? My mother probably won't know how to use the app to check in, and she won't have access to a printer. I want to check her in as early as possible to ensure that she doesn't get booted off the flight.

Or are there other alternatives that I am unaware of? For example, if I check in online for her but don't print the boarding pass, can she still print her boarding pass using the kiosks at the airport?

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 29, 2017 at 10:10 pm Reason: Broaden thread title, restore original post title
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
You can check-in online while you are at Phoenix for your mom. Then you mom can show up at BOS check-in counter and pick up printed boarding pass from an agent. Your mom’s boarding pass will have same seat assignment as when you checked-in online at Phoenix.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
Originally Posted by Delta 764
On July 14, my mother is flying BOS-PHX nonstop, however, she doesn't have a seat assignment since only premium seats were available to select.

I am in the Phoenix area, and I was wondering, is there a way I can send her a mobile boarding pass without using the American Airlines app? My mother probably won't know how to use the app to check in, and she won't have access to a printer. I want to check her in as early as possible to ensure that she doesn't get booted off the flight.

Or are there other alternatives that I am unaware of? For example, if I check in online for her but don't print the boarding pass, can she still print her boarding pass using the kiosks at the airport?
Just check her in on-line and let her get the boarding pass at the airport. You don't have to worry about not printing the pass. Boarding passes can be printed as many times as you want.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
You can check her in using the app and get the boarding pass. If you both use iPhones, you can text her the Apple Wallet (neé Passbook) boarding pass; she never has to use the app herself. She can click the Add button; once she's done that, it will show up on her lock screen. My spouse and I do this all the time; whichever of us happens to have made the reservation checks in, gets both boarding passes, and texts the relevant ones to the other. And FWIW, I have an up-to-date iOS and she has a several-year-old version on an even-older phone.

I don't know if Android has something similar if that's what you use.

And as others have said, she can certainly print out the paper boarding pass from a kiosk or an agent after being checked in online.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
you could also screenshot the mobile boarding pass and send it as a text to her and she can open the image on the phone. Or as mentioned just re-print from a kiosk.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by ryan182
you could also screenshot the mobile boarding pass and send it as a text to her and she can open the image on the phone. Or as mentioned just re-print from a kiosk.
The significant advantage of the iOS Wallet (especially for the not-technically-literate) is that it automatically turns the phone up to full brightness (and then back down to the previous setting), making scanning more successful.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ashill
The significant advantage of the iOS Wallet (especially for the not-technically-literate) is that it automatically turns the phone up to full brightness (and then back down to the previous setting), making scanning more successful.
true but I'm guessing that if using the app to checkin is something the OPs mother might not be familiar with I'd guess that the iOS wallet might also be something they would struggle with. Using the kiosks to reprint is likely the best option, an MMS of the mobile BP as a backup and/or to scan at the kiosk gives two easy options for those that are less technology enabled
Old Jun 29, 2017, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by ryan182
true but I'm guessing that if using the app to checkin is something the OPs mother might not be familiar with I'd guess that the iOS wallet might also be something they would struggle with. Using the kiosks to reprint is likely the best option, an MMS of the mobile BP as a backup and/or to scan at the kiosk gives two easy options for those that are less technology enabled
I absolutely agree that reprinting from the kiosks is the best option.

If reprinting is not feasible for whatever reason, I think clicking add on the boarding pass texted to her and then having it on the lock screen is easier than getting the image up, the right size, and the right brightness. The great thing about iOS Wallet is you don't need to know what it is, where the app is, etc.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 8:23 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
I thought online check in was disabled if you do not have a seat assignment and you were required to check in at the airport either at a kiosk or with an agent to get a verification card?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.