Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

award tickets now get 24-hour cancellation as of 23 Jun 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

award tickets now get 24-hour cancellation as of 23 Jun 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2017, 5:33 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Award tickets now have 24-hour cancellation privileges, as long booked at least 2 days in advance.

Also refund process for revenue tix much improved (automated) as well

Last edited by JY1024; Jun 28, 2017 at 5:06 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts -please used edit post feature
Old Jun 23, 2017, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Good info thx. I booked an award ticket last night to LAS in a few weeks but need to cancel. Does the app support online cancellation now?
Old Jun 23, 2017, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
that's awesome, the process before was rather slow and clunky
Old Jun 23, 2017, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Good news for non-EXPs. Hopefully this isn't a precursor to eliminating the up to 5-day hold currently permitted on award reservations?

-FlyerBeek
Old Jun 23, 2017, 6:38 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Good news for non-EXPs. Hopefully this isn't a precursor to eliminating the up to 5-day hold currently permitted on award reservations?
Hadn't thought of that, seems like that could be a definite possibility.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 6:39 pm

-FlyerBeek
I can't see how this is good, honestly.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
Good info thx. I booked an award ticket last night to LAS in a few weeks but need to cancel. Does the app support online cancellation now?
Given that you are an EXP, not sure how this award cancellation affects you. Am I missing something?
Old Jun 23, 2017, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by laagima
Given that you are an EXP, not sure how this award cancellation affects you. Am I missing something?
It's always easier to cancel something on hold than it is to have to call and arrange for the miles to be redeposited.

In the past you could get an award ticket held even closer to departure. I recently booked one the day before departure and it was on hold until two hours before departure. I hope this new "feature" doesn't mean you can't put award reservations on hold within two days of departure.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:02 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stripe
.. I hope this new "feature" doesn't mean you can't put award reservations on hold within two days of departure.
I see no reason to assume that might be the case.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry perhaps I wasn't clear. EXP's have to manually call like everyone else to cancel an award res. I just hoped this new feature allowed online cancellation vs calling an agent.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by Stripe
It's always easier to cancel something on hold than it is to have to call and arrange for the miles to be redeposited.
But this new info is for cancelling award "tickets" so I imagine that the redeposit of miles may not be as automatic as one would like. Might be a lag as with EXPs calling to cancel and redeposit their miles. Good news for non-EXPs but perhaps EXPs may not be affected much, unless they allow online cancellation.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 6:27 am

But this new info is for cancelling award "tickets" so I imagine that the redeposit of miles may not be as automatic as one would like. Might be a lag as with EXPs calling to cancel and redeposit their miles. Good news for non-EXPs but perhaps EXPs may not be affected much, unless they allow online cancellation.
To me it's not good news at all. I don't recall Parker doing anything positive with awards other than the inevitable expansion of carriers that can be ticketed online. Holds are better than this even for non-EXPs.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 7:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by rrgg
Holds are better than this even for non-EXPs.
Agreed. But, as of now, no changes to the award hold policy and likely improvement here fo EXPs as well with the refund process (where AA has always lagged in comparison to UA/DL).

-FlyerBeek
Old Jun 24, 2017, 9:45 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Agreed. But, as of now, no changes to the award hold policy and likely improvement here fo EXPs as well with the refund process (where AA has always lagged in comparison to UA/DL).

-FlyerBeek
Agreed.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not yet at least. When I hit the cancel button on a reward ticket this morning the "you must call an agent to have your miles reinstated" message came.

What a joke.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.