Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Searching for DCA-LAX does not list any JFK connections...? (Multicity - to merge)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Searching for DCA-LAX does not list any JFK connections...? (Multicity - to merge)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2017, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
I'm a bit unclear now. It seems like there are mixed messages going on here – some people are saying JFK is a valid connection hub for specific routes, but some are saying it's not and that AA had stopped pushing connections through JFK.

Why's that? Why would AA want to discourage connections through JFK, especially as it's one of their major hubs? UA pushes connections all the time through EWR, and DL does the same with JFK.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 8:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ceasy
pretty sure there was another thread on this a while ago - indeed no more domestic connections to transcon's through JFK unless "forced" (i.e. two tickets)
I'd like to see that thread and the specifics therein-- did it more specifically pertain to connections to extremely inexpensive places, in latin america or whatever?

EDIT to add: was it this thread? Many AA business fares restrict travel via LAX-JFK

If so, I'd contend that that most likely isn't applicable to this case.

Last edited by JonNYC; Jun 14, 2017 at 8:37 pm Reason: other thread?
Old Jun 14, 2017, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Why's that? Why would AA want to discourage connections through JFK, especially as it's one of their major hubs?
Combination of capacity and geography, I'd surmise.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 10:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Interesting--I've also noticed that the DCA-JFK options downright suck most of the time. They seem built more for int'l connections than TCON connections.

I've got some upcoming travel where I'll have at least 2 and probably 3 roundtrips, DCA to west coast, in a short span, and the only way I'm willing to do the redeye back is to have the lie-flat seat, recover at JFK, eat, hop down to DCA, and then be able work on arrival. For the 2 trips I've already booked, I had to piece things together manually on ITA Matrix -- I bought discount J on the transcons (using BXP1 to upgrade to F) together with Y on the DCA-JFK segments, but it took work.

Given the lack of lie-flats west coast to DC (Delta has one of those 8 a.m. flights that sucks your whole day), I'd think there is a market for SFO/LAX-JFK-DCA... and I was certainly willing to pay the prevailing J rate on the transcon plus a bit for the Y segment to DCA, especially given the ability to use BXP1s to upgrade to F.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The OP mentioned that his search for DCA-LAX did not result in any JFK connections; I just performed some searches for random June dates and I can confirm that he's right. When I reversed the search and looked at LAX-DCA, the search returned some JFK connections. In Business and First, however, the LAX-JFK-DCA one-way flights were about $200 more than just the LAX-JFK flights. They were constructed by adding the LAX-JFK fare to the JFK-DCA fare.

Looks to me like JFK is not a valid connection point for DCA-LAX. You're free to connect there, but you'll buy two fares to do so. Single fare connections were offered over LAS, DFW, ORD, CLT and PHL and some other misc spokes. Just not JFK.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Why's that? Why would AA want to discourage connections through JFK, especially as it's one of their major hubs? UA pushes connections all the time through EWR, and DL does the same with JFK.
JFK isn't much of a hub for AA. More like a bigger spoke.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA PLT
I'm a bit unclear now. It seems like there are mixed messages going on here – some people are saying JFK is a valid connection hub for specific routes, but some are saying it's not and that AA had stopped pushing connections through JFK.

Actually, I don't think UA publishes DCA-EWR-LAX/SFO either (at least, whenever I've looked, it doesn't come up as an option and UA's website is better about letting you filter by connecting hub--I also wanted to check out the premium transcon service IAD doesn't have). If you don't want a direct out of IAD (or DCA for SFO), nearly everything else is routed via ORD, IAH, or DEN.

Not sure about DL, but it seems like both UA and AA want those to mostly be O&D.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA PP, Hilton/MR Gold
Would love to have some LAX/SFO lie-flat options from DCA beyond the single DL flight. Perhaps B6 will make it happen someday by bringing Mint into the market, but until then I'm not going to hold my breath....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.