Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What does "AAdvantage Benefits: Priority" mean???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2017, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvatage

Good evening!

I asked something similar to this in the Newbie Lounge thread, but we didn't get to the bottom of it. Anyway, here we go...

Let me begin by stating that we have no status on any airline. We fly on whoever has the cheapest fairs . Back in late December we purchased three airline tickets in economy on AA (not full-fare). Prior to purchasing, we applied for the AAdvance Platinum Select card to get free baggage, earlier boarding, and to get the bonus miles for inter-island award travel. Since then, our itinerary has changed quite a bit due to cancellations and close connections. Recently, I noticed that under the American "Cost Summary", it says "AAdvantage Benefits: Priority" (see screenshot). I never noticed this before so I think it was something added recently. That leads me to my question: what does that mean I googled it and found a few pictures of it on other peoples "Cost Summary", but nobody ever explains it! I know that with all the frequent flyers on here, someone has had it appear in their "Cost Summary" before and knows what it means !

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images  
Old May 25, 2017, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
I presume that should refer to the benefits that you are getting as a card member, free baggage, earlier boarding. For a non status, non card carrier members, those item come with a cost that can be purchased . In your case, you have them.
Old May 25, 2017, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat
If I'm not mistaken the Priority with a $0 means you did not purchase priority boarding or services.

Credit card holders have Preferred boarding and baggage waiver on AA marketed and operated flights only. So if you have any interisland flights in the PNR from another carrier like Hawaiian you do not qualify for benefits.

Check your itinerary for who is marketing and operating your flights so you don't go to the airport and get disappointed expecting a free bag and then are denied.

Also if you got the credit card within 7 days of your reservation it is necessary for the primary credit card holder to take out their AAdvantage number and put it back in to activate any applicable benefits. Common mistake as it takes at least 7 days for credit card benefits to become active and attached to the primary card holders AAdvantage number and if it is already in the reservation it does not automatically refresh itself and has to be done manually as stated above. you can call reservation or customer service to do it if you can't do it at aa.com.
Old May 25, 2017, 8:57 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat
This covers what Priority means and the folks who qualify:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...privileges.jsp

Based on you saying that there have been several canceled/rebooked issues with the tickets, I would think the most likely cause would be that you got rebooked in a 'Y' fare code unless you happened to sign up for the $450/year credit card instead of the $95/year card.
Old May 25, 2017, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by rjtfdx

Based on you saying that there have been several canceled/rebooked issues with the tickets, I would think the most likely cause would be that you got rebooked in a 'Y' fare code unless you happened to sign up for the $450/year credit card instead of the $95/year card.
Per post in the Newbie Thread, OP was re-booked in S outbound and N return.

Old May 25, 2017, 11:00 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by controller1
Per post in the Newbie Thread.
After going back to that thread, I noticed that the PNR previously contained a flight which was rebooked on HA. When AA did that to me (to UA) that segment became a Y fare. I'm curious if that would have any effect.

For what it is worth, I logged in as a family member with the AA Platinum credit card/no elite status and made a dummy booking. The attached picture shows "Priority Access." I'm thinking AA's IT is just really bad at displaying elite vs credit card benefits on the website and "Priority" on that page doesn't distinguish between Group 5 boarding and full Priority Access as listed on the previous link.
Attached Images  
Old May 28, 2017, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies! I guess its just referring to the CC benefits. That would make sense. The AAdvantage number is in the reservation so that must be what triggered it. At least we can have an assurance we will get the free baggage .

For what it is worth, I logged in as a family member with the AA Platinum credit card/no elite status and made a dummy booking. The attached picture shows "Priority Access." I'm thinking AA's IT is just really bad at displaying elite vs credit card benefits on the website and "Priority" on that page doesn't distinguish between Group 5 boarding and full Priority Access as listed on the previous link.
Thanks! That is exactly what I was looking for!

Again, thank you to everyone who took the time to reply!
Old May 29, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat
From AA.com

Priority privileges
Speed through check-in, security and boarding
Priority gives you the fastest route through most airport-congested areas.
Look for "priority" signs when you check in at the American Airlines counter, go through security and at the gate. For faster boarding, proceed when "Priority" is called and board even earlier if you’re a First or Business Class passenger or elite status member. Just look for "Priority Access" on your boarding pass.
Arrive late to the gate? Bypass general boarding and head to the priority lane to board at anytime.
Who's eligible for priority privileges?
First and Business Class passengers
AAdvantage® Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, Platinum and Gold members
AirPass travelers
Customers traveling on a full-fare Economy Class ticket booked in Y
oneworld® Emerald, Sapphire and Ruby members
Alaska Airlines MVP Gold 75K, MVP Gold and MVP members
Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive cardholders

Buy Priority
Unless you're flying on a Basic Economy fare, you can buy Priority for your trip on American marketed and operated flights:
At check-in on aa.com
At check-in at an airport kiosk
Through Reservations before departure

Considering you did not buy Priority as indicative of the $0, I would not assume you have the benefits, unless you are elite or in the First or Business cabin OR have the Executive card that has the $450 yearly fee and Admirals Club membership

If it were me, I'd be calling REZ to clarify otherwise you may be disappointed when you get to airport.
Old May 29, 2017, 2:41 pm

You have Priority because of your citibank credit card. Do not get excited not much to it.
Old May 29, 2017, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

It's not all that big of a deal. As long as I get the free baggage with my Citi card, that will be fine. I wouldn't mind having Priority though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.