Wiki Posts
Search

DCA chaos due to BOS runway construction

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2017, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
DCA chaos due to BOS runway construction

I am booked on AA2150: scheduled departure 9:00 pm, monitors showing 10:00, flight stats.com showing 10:05.

i have a high standby number on AA2134 (GA says I'm sure to be boarded): scheduled departure 6:30, monitors showing 8:30, flight stats.com showing 11:29 (!).

What Do FTers think - should I assume flightstats is more accurate and stick with my original flight?

Or should I go with the standby flight, which looks like it will board at 8:00 and push back at 8:30 but might get stuck sitting on the runway for three hours (I overheard other pax making comments to that effect)?

EDIT: I now see I am cleared for 2134 (the 6:40 flight showing 8:30 departure but that might be 11:30).
Old May 23, 2017, 6:19 pm

I'd try for the earlier flight, especially if the plane is already there. I think it's extremely unlikely that the later flight is going to get out ahead of you in that scenario.
Old May 23, 2017, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
I'd be checking the inbound planes to see what's where.

I was at DCA on Sunday night and there were lots of folks trying to get to BOS on either AA or B6 who couldn't, with some chatter about the runway. Sounds like a mess.
Old May 23, 2017, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Forbes those who are/were wondering, I took the earlier flight and we took off less than 20 minutes after pushback. Arrived BOS before 10:00 pm.

So in this case going standby was a win!
Old May 23, 2017, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jordyn
I'd try for the earlier flight, especially if the plane is already there. I think it's extremely unlikely that the later flight is going to get out ahead of you in that scenario.
interestingly, AA2140 - scheduled for 7:30 - is still
showing an 11:00 departure, whereas AA2150 (my original flight, 9:00) is still showing 10:00.

the guy sitting next to me on AA2134 said he heard the plane that we were on was supposed to be used for 2140 but it got switched to 2134, hence the delay for 2140.

I'm not sure when the construction started (it was within the last week!), but my seat mate said BOS will supposedly be down to one runway throughtout June and July, with intermittent closures continuing until some time in November.
Old May 24, 2017, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Kamalaasaa
interestingly, AA2140 - scheduled for 7:30 - is still
showing an 11:00 departure, whereas AA2150 (my original flight, 9:00) is still showing 10:00.

the guy sitting next to me on AA2134 said he heard the plane that we were on was supposed to be used for 2140 but it got switched to 2134, hence the delay for 2140.

I'm not sure when the construction started (it was within the last week!), but my seat mate said BOS will supposedly be down to one runway throughtout June and July, with intermittent closures continuing until some time in November.
Yeah, 2140 was definitely the loser last night. As platbrownguy suggested, it's always good to make sure where the planes actually are as you make these decisions. I don't know if it was the originally scheduled aircraft, but the plane that ended up being used for 2140 didn't get to DCA until 10:54, so if you could see that at the time jumping onto 2134 or 2150 was obviously the smart bed.
Old May 24, 2017, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
This is the first I've heard of the runway construction - is this likely to cause ongoing issues with the BOS-DCA flights? Or only at certain times of day? I've got a trip coming up for which I was thinking of routing back from Europe through BOS to DCA, and I'm now wondering if that is going to be a bad plan.
Old May 24, 2017, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

I imagine this is more of a problem in the afternoon and evening then in the morning.

here is an article with the details about it.

http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-ne...n-logan-runway
Old May 25, 2017, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by whimsey21
This is the first I've heard of the runway construction - is this likely to cause ongoing issues with the BOS-DCA flights? Or only at certain times of day? I've got a trip coming up for which I was thinking of routing back from Europe through BOS to DCA, and I'm now wondering if that is going to be a bad plan.
Not just the shuttles.

I was on JFK-BOS-BUF, the AA199 JFK-BOS was forced to be in ATC for more than two hours. (Not a biggie as it's in J A321T, so I got three hours of sleep in the same A321T F seat for JFK-SFO/LAX but it didn't fully recline). BOS-BUF was then gone canceled, so I had to be rebooked to go back to DCA and then ROC. A long way back home.
Old May 25, 2017, 8:59 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Wow - hadn't heard that there was going to be runway work being done in BOS. Thanks for the heads-up! ^
Old May 25, 2017, 9:10 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Several times over the last few years I've connected in DCA; AA operations there seemed CHAOTIC on each trip--must go with the LOCALE
Old May 25, 2017, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Chaos?
Old May 25, 2017, 5:55 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Blumie
Chaos?
A few months ago I noticed for several departures pax were waiting at gates , well under < t-60, but there were NO agents.
Getting between the 2 concourses requires a bus connection, this info is not well publicized.
My note re "chaos" and "locale" is best left for an OMNI discussion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.