Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Int'l SWU Denied for Arriving at the Gate "Too Late"?

Int'l SWU Denied for Arriving at the Gate "Too Late"?

Old May 21, 2017, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Originally Posted by SamOF
Huh? Isn't the whole point of an Admiral's Club that you're not expected to spend the entire time between check-in and getting on board at the gate?
OP gave no indication that OP was in AC

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Hengilas
Absolutely do not understand why you have to be at the gate; I have cleared coutnless upgrades both comp and SWU and NEVER had to be at the gate to claim them. I always only show up right before boarding and collect my ticket.
Then one of these days you might lose your gamble, just as the OP did. And I may be there to get upgraded in your place.

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Hengilas
Absolutely do not understand why you have to be at the gate; I have cleared coutnless upgrades both comp and SWU and NEVER had to be at the gate to claim them. I always only show up right before boarding and collect my ticket. I'd be really upset at this.

100% agree with OP and don't know how you can lay blame on him for this situation
Agreed. The requiremrnt that at you need to be present at the gate the moment your upgrade clears or you lose it is completely fabricated. How about mobile boarding passes that get automatically updated with your new seat? Why on earth would you think you had to go to the gate to claim it. Ludicrous.
Old May 21, 2017, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by justforfun
Agreed. The requiremrnt that at you need to be present at the gate the moment your upgrade clears or you lose it is completely fabricated. How about mobile boarding passes that get automatically updated with your new seat? Why on earth would you think you had to go to the gate to claim it. Ludicrous.
OP was told to check at the gate - GA had no reason to believe OP would make the flight, considering the lines in CDG
Old May 21, 2017, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Agreed. The requiremrnt that at you need to be present at the gate the moment your upgrade clears or you lose it is completely fabricated.
The point is that the upgrade didn't clear -- the GA paged the OP multiple times to see if he was in the gate area; if he'd responded, the upgrade would have then been cleared.

If the GA pages you multiple times and you don't respond -- whether for a standby seat, a domestic upgrade, or a SWU, you can lose your spot. This is how it's been as long as I can remember. I know I sound like a broken record, but am a bit astounded at how unfamiliar frequent flyers seem to be with... you know, flying.
Old May 21, 2017, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by jay_dubya
OP was told to check at the gate - GA had no reason to believe OP would make the flight, considering the lines in CDG
That's not what happened at all. The OP checked in "timely".
Old May 21, 2017, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Yes, I did. Directly. I arrived at the check-in desk 2:05 before departure.

CDG is a mess. Basically almost everyone is "Priority" and in a single queue, the queues leading to security inspection have no priority access, and once in the security inspection area, they will only allow business class passengers to access the priority immigration queue.

If AA is going to put a cut-off time on upgrade clearing, don't you think they should announce that?

I frankly can't think of a way to politely address your assertion that arriving at the gate 35-minutes before departure constitutes a waiver of an international upgrade. They were still in the process of boarding my group.
That's not what happened at all. The OP checked in "timely".
See OP's account above. Apparently not timely enough. Not blaming OP for lines at CDG - but GA did nothing wrong
Old May 21, 2017, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
I would like to ask a couple of questions to clarify the situation in case other forum members are in a similar situation in the future.

Is there a difference between a SWU vs miles+copay upgrade? It seems OP was on the upgrade list with a SWU, so the GA could have upgraded him automatically and had the BP waiting for him when he arrived at the gate. However if OP was using miles+copay, does the GA need to swipe a credit card for the copay porition?

Also if OP was at the AC at CDG, could he have been in touch with the AAngels and inquired about the upgrade? Can the AAngels upgrade the passenger and process the SWU and/or collect the copay if using miles+copay? At what T-departure time, does the AC staff no longer have access to the upgrade list? And does this vary between US hubs and airports outside the US (e.g. CDG)?

Typically they say international flights start boarding 45 minutes prior to departure time. So I usually try to leave the AC or another lounge with enough time to get to the gate by that time. Another member here stated he/she arrives at the gate 75-90 minutes before the departure time. Is this recommended at an airport outside the US and/or if you are waiting for an upgrade and do not want to miss being called? If you are at the AC, doesn't the AC scan your BP and know that you are waiting at the AC and not at the gate?

I am sorry to hear the OP went through a very frustrating experience. However I wonder if the rest of us can learn from this instance and be better prepared if we also are in a similar situation in the future.
Old May 21, 2017, 7:07 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
If you want an upgrade, you have to make it more of a priority than this--if you show up 35 minutes before departure, that's too late to shepherd the upgrade through the upgrade clearing procedures and ensure that it's processed correctly.
Old May 21, 2017, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
If you want an upgrade, you have to make it more of a priority than this--if you show up 35 minutes before departure, that's too late to shepherd the upgrade through the upgrade clearing procedures and ensure that it's processed correctly.

Agreed. Getting the upgrade is more important than extra time in the lounge.
Old May 21, 2017, 7:17 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
First, per AA:

Boarding times:

"30 minutes prior to departure From/To the United States and:
Europe
Middle East
Asia
South American destinations: Asuncion, PY; Brasilia, BR; Belo Horizonte, BR; Curitiba, Br; Buenos Aires, AR; Rio de Janeiro, BR; Sao Paulo, BR; Lima, PE; Montevideo, UY; Porto Alegre, BR; Recife, BR; Salvador, BR; Santiago, CL; Sao Paulo Viracop, BR"

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ar-2017-a.html

We've had many posts regarding:

Boarding times - for many international flights, they begin boarding 45 (or earlier - see above) minutes prior to scheduled departure

D-0 - wherein many gate agents begin boarding early

Losing upgrades because one was not in the gate area before they began boarding, which is when they process upgrades

Whether it's AA policy or not seems immaterial, because the evidence supports gate agents are empowered to do pretty much anything they want as long as the jetway is closed and the aircraft is ready for pushback on time.

These posts have been full of angst - why should Club members be denied Club access merely because the gate agents might choose to process upgrades by voice calls, leaving those not present out of luck and upgradeless? Because D-0 is their priority. Apparently AA will penalize them for a late departure if it's due to gate checking bags because there were too many passengers with bin bags, or other reasons presumably under their control, and AA appears not to penalize them for early boarding calls and using upgrade in order but by voice call.

Last edited by JDiver; May 21, 2017 at 10:31 pm
Old May 21, 2017, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The OP was just minutes away from being off-loaded and left behind {if the flight was overbooked or there were standby passengers):

Arrival at Gate

You must be at the gate and ready to board the aircraft:

15 minutes prior to scheduled departure for flights departing from points -within- the U.S., Puerto Rico, and Virgin Islands

30 minutes prior to scheduled departure for flights departing from points -outside- the U.S., Puerto Rico, and Virgin Islands, i.e., Canada, Mexico, Europe, Asia, Central/South America, Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda
https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-ser...ooter?#checkin

Looks like a good learning opportunity. Want an upgrade? Get to the gate early. You don't ever want to miss your name being paged by a gate agent.
Old May 21, 2017, 7:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Rather than speculating about the GA's misconduct, if you believe that you have been done wrong, send in a complaint form.

Make it 2-3 short declarative sentences and leave out all of the irrelevant stuff. All that is important here is that AA requires passengers to be at the gate by T-30 for international departures and that you were, but you were told by a GA that this was too late as your name had been called sometime befo

If I were you, I would stick to the facts you know. AA can see exactly who cleared, how they cleared (instrument), and when.

The policy answer is that AA ought to specifically state that UG's must be at the gate no later than T-45, but the practical answer is that this is the case.
Old May 21, 2017, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Maybe if AA would make them redeemable greater than 2 seconds before last call would help.

Old May 21, 2017, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Your upgrade should have been processed and then when you boarded they should have handed you a new boarding pass. But...........

But it this situation - waiting for upgrade on international flight - I would arrive at the gate say 75 minutes before departure.

I check the upgrade list on the AA app (frequently) to see where I am on the list. I use expert flyer seat map to check how many open seats there are and availability to see how many J seats remain (again frequently). If Y is oversold then they may reduced number of J they will sell. The seat map is pretty accurate at 1 hour out.

If I know I will likely clear the upgrade - I will definitely go the gate early. And I continue to check AA upgrade list and EF seat map at the gate, particularly if I have a companion I am trying to get upgraded.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.