Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Australian man "crushed" in economy seat 14 hours sues AA for injuries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Australian man "crushed" in economy seat 14 hours sues AA for injuries

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2017, 10:29 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
In this day an age a huge disconnect exists between the size of seat, aisle, and restroom and size of the western passenger, interesting .... you have business economics versus the increasing obese and unfit travel...

Last edited by chipmaster; May 5, 2017 at 10:35 am
Old May 5, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I hope AA has the <determination> to take this to trial. Let the courts rule on what 'too big for an airplane seat' really means.
And let the courts rule what too small for an airplane seat really means.

Last edited by JDiver; May 5, 2017 at 2:34 pm Reason: Carrying out previous editing
Old May 5, 2017, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by rufflesinc
They should put a seat at each gate by the carry-on size-checker , but with vertical barriers and make borderline people sit in it and see if they can fit. As with TSA screening, a curtain can be used for privacy.
the privacy curtain is a bit much, but the idea of a sample seat to see if you're too fat to fit is something all theme parks do for their roller coaster restraints. They have them out in front of the line to get on the ride so you don't even get in line if you're too fat. Same idea. Put it in the ticketing lobby so you don't even check your bags if you're too big. Or decide you need to buy a bigger seat or more room via first class or MCE or whatever
Old May 5, 2017, 10:51 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Where would the law suit be adjudicated, USA or Australia? Since this is international do Warsaw or Montreal conventions apply?
Some of these allow minimal reparations.
Old May 5, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
the privacy curtain is a bit much, but the idea of a sample seat to see if you're too fat to fit is something all theme parks do for their roller coaster restraints. They have them out in front of the line to get on the ride so you don't even get in line if you're too fat. Same idea. Put it in the ticketing lobby so you don't even check your bags if you're too big. Or decide you need to buy a bigger seat or more room via first class or MCE or whatever
Old May 5, 2017, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by justforfun
And let the courts rule what too small for an airplane seat really means.
Maybe you're being clever. Maybe you're acknowledging this could be a case for international tribunals. Maybe you really don't understand the U.S. system of government. Hard to say.
Old May 5, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: AA LifeTime PLT (2.982 MM, But 3MM+ Total), HHonors GOLD, IHG AMB
If he were EXP with 8 SWUs without paying $12K minimum, higher probability problem would have been solved.
Old May 5, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
This ties into the discussion on the 737MAX thread nicely.

Fact: Passenger sizes continue to increase (not going to debate if that's good or bad, health, etc) - but they do.
Fact: Airline seats/space continue to decrease

At some point, something's gotta give.
Old May 5, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
This thread is about a lawsuit, yet it very immediately spiraled into a conversation about how to successfully shame obese people into not flying. Some of the suggestions in this thread are shameful. Pre-conceived notions about obese people and plans to treat them differently than other passengers are offensive, and I don't think they belong here.
Old May 5, 2017, 12:50 pm

In any event, occasional litigation is cheaper than making any changes to seat configuration or introducing 'obesity tests' (which would be bad PR).
Old May 5, 2017, 1:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
They should put a seat at each gate by the carry-on size-checker , but with vertical barriers and make borderline people sit in it and see if they can fit. As with TSA screening, a curtain can be used for privacy.
Didn't Southwest try that a few years back with the seatbelts? I don't recall exactly the situation, but there were some issues with oversized pax around 10-12 years back.

Big problem here is that as soon as the airlines try to force them into purchasing a second seat, they will cry discrimination based on the ADA act. As I recall, that was the basis of the earlier attempts at solving this problem going nowhere. I have personally been next to POS people before and many times, they are even embarrassed themselves, trying to crouch their bodies into the small space. It's a problem that has no easy solution, especially when AA will be reducing legroom on its planes to be the shortest pitch in the US! It just keeps getting worse!
Old May 5, 2017, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by josmul123
This thread is about a lawsuit, yet it very immediately spiraled into a conversation about how to successfully shame obese people into not flying.
I don't think anyone's shaming them into not flying. Into buying two seats or PE/J/F? Sure.
On the other hand, people here certainly ARE shaming the airlines about the ever shrinking width/legroom (rightly so IMO!)
Old May 5, 2017, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually there's a solution. Some bigger seats to accommodate bigger people. All it means is a revenue reduction for a few multinational corporations. I know it's apostasy and possible cause for excommunication to suggest a sacrifice by corporations and their officers (who could likely replace the revenue shortfall out of their compensation and still be solid 1%-ers). But I like living dangerously
Old May 5, 2017, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by divrdrew
Didn't Southwest try that a few years back with the seatbelts? I don't recall exactly the situation, but there were some issues with oversized pax around 10-12 years back.

Big problem here is that as soon as the airlines try to force them into purchasing a second seat, they will cry discrimination based on the ADA act. As I recall, that was the basis of the earlier attempts at solving this problem going nowhere. I have personally been next to POS people before and many times, they are even embarrassed themselves, trying to crouch their bodies into the small space. It's a problem that has no easy solution, especially when AA will be reducing legroom on its planes to be the shortest pitch in the US! It just keeps getting worse!
I recall the Southwest "Too Fat" Kevin Smith fiasco.
Old May 5, 2017, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by josmul123
This thread is about a lawsuit, yet it very immediately spiraled into a conversation about how to successfully shame obese people into not flying. Some of the suggestions in this thread are shameful. Pre-conceived notions about obese people and plans to treat them differently than other passengers are offensive, and I don't think they belong here.
^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.