Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Australian man "crushed" in economy seat 14 hours sues AA for injuries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2017, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, WN A-List, AA Exec Plat, National Emerald

http://www.9news.com.au/national/201...e-for-injuries

Legal action brought by a NSW man who was agonisingly crushed in his airline seat during a 14-hour journey is set to have repercussions for economy passengers.

Michael Anthony Taylor, 67, of Wollongong, is suing American Airlines after cabin staff rejected his pleas to change seat after he found himself squashed between two obese fellow travellers.

Mr Taylor was left with permanent back and neck injuries after the Sydney to Los Angeles flight during which most of his journey was spent “crouching, kneeling, bracing or standing”.

In addition to aggravating Mr Taylor's existing curvature of the spine, he was left with permanent neck and back injuries for which he is seeking more than $100,000 in damages.
Interesting case; he really didn't get the service he paid for. But I don't see the airlines solving this properly (by size-checking passengers before they board).

I think in a case like this where your seat is unavailable because the people next to you have chosen to occupy significant portions of your seat you should photograph it, refuse to board, and then just fight for an "IDB" compensation. However that can seriously upset your travel plans and cause a ripple effect to your schedule and costs.
Old May 5, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Definitely needed a photo.
Old May 5, 2017, 7:32 am

He should also add the obese passengers that squashed him to the suit.
Old May 5, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by reamworks
I think in a case like this where your seat is unavailable because the people next to you have chosen to occupy significant portions of your seat you should photograph it, refuse to board, and then just fight for an "IDB" compensation.
^^^

Posting the images on social media would have brought an INSTANT response.
Old May 5, 2017, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Class action!
Old May 5, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Something is not right with that article. First it says "he found himself squashed between two obese fellow travellers" which imply he was seated in a middle seat but then the article says "spilled over onto his 43cm-wide window seat".

43cm is about 17 inches so he would be in the 10-across section.
Old May 5, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: AA EXP
Just saw this and was going to link it in the thread discussing the ability to move to any seat once door closes where I was mentioning this.

Airline owes each passenger their entire seat and should force purchase of 2nd seat by those who don't fit. The physical consequences of this scenario are real and not acceptable, though the pax should have dealt with the concern before takeoff.
Old May 5, 2017, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jphripjah
Definitely needed a photo.
I hope AA has the <determination> to take this to trial. Let the courts rule on what 'too big for an airplane seat' really means.

Last edited by JDiver; May 5, 2017 at 2:33 pm Reason: Edited for Rules conformity
Old May 5, 2017, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
They should put a seat at each gate by the carry-on size-checker , but with vertical barriers and make borderline people sit in it and see if they can fit. As with TSA screening, a curtain can be used for privacy.
Old May 5, 2017, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by rufflesinc
They should put a seat at each gate by the carry-on size-checker, but with vertical barriers and make borderline people sit in it and see if they can fit.
Ha
Old May 5, 2017, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by 869
though the pax should have dealt with the concern before takeoff.
This. I can't come to grips why he didn't say something. I can understand if he was flying ord-dtw for example but this flight?? I would have 1. asked for a different seat 2. if full ask to be re-accommodated on another flight that I'd be able to make full use of the seat.
Old May 5, 2017, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
They should put a seat at each gate by the carry-on size-checker , but with vertical barriers and make borderline people sit in it and see if they can fit. As with TSA screening, a curtain can be used for privacy.
I'd support this idea 100%.
Old May 5, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: Blinged Out
😂😂 Yes! This^

Call it a POS-izer
Old May 5, 2017, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by enviroian
This. I can't come to grips why he didn't say something. I can understand if he was flying ord-dtw for example but this flight?? I would have 1. asked for a different seat 2. if full ask to be re-accommodated on another flight that I'd be able to make full use of the seat.
I recently overheard a conversation about a passenger of size at door 2L prior to an AKL-LAX flight. Seemed to me that the FA and GA handled it well, and were prepared to rebook someone to resolve the issue. I didn't see the resolution, but it leads me to think that there is more to this story than they simply refused to let him change seats.
Old May 5, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I find just as much of an issue with athletes with big shoulders. Linebackers usually are big but lean.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.