Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

25% Bonus through 15 Jun 2017 Converting Hotel Points to AA Miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

25% Bonus through 15 Jun 2017 Converting Hotel Points to AA Miles

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2017, 4:59 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by kevinflyaway
I was looking at SPG Night & Stay awards and decided not to do it, since you need to know which hotel you want to stay at when you actually do the transfer. Do I understand correctly that a Marriot Travel Packages gives you a voucher/certificate which is worth a 7-night stay?! How long is this voucher/certificate valid?

If so, I made make the transfer via Marriot. It gives you almost a free 7-night stay, instead of just the points through SPG transfer.

I would do:
SPG 83500 -> Marriot 250500
Travel package (cat. 1-5 + 100.000 miles)

Direct SPG transfer would nett 129375 AAdvantage miles
Marriott Travel Package would nett 125000 AAdvantage miles + the 7-night stay
The miles are transferred within a few days, and the bonus miles within 7 days thereafter per AA T&C.

Yes, you receive a 7-night certificate which needs to be attached to a hotel reservation. I have never done a TP without attaching the hotel certificate to a hotel reservation, but from what I understand it may be done (check out discussion at link provided at the end of this post). The certificate is good for 1 year and may be extended once, for another year from the date you request the extension. Also, the certificate may be removed from one reservation and attached to a different reservation without affecting the expiration date. The certificate is good for the category hotel it is redeemed, but may be used for a lower category hotel or fewer days. While normally one would not want to do that, it can be done. You can upgrade a certificate after your initial purchase.

Many of us just make a dummy award reservation to hold the certificate and change it to another hotel and up the category later if required.

Another in and out of the MR program, when looking for awards if you are unable to find awards for 7 consecutive nights, which usually happens when you plan late or during very high demand times (NYE in Sydney, Christmas in Vail, etc) then you can always make your stays longer and as long as a contiguous stay includes 7 award nights (or less) you can use the certificate. So for Sydney as an example let's say you can get 4 award nights the nights of Dec 26-29, pay for Dec 30 and 31 (at $699 AUD/night) and do 3 more award nights the nights of Jan 1-3, then you can use a 7-night category 8 certificate for that stay. It's best to call Marriott Reservations to make this type of reservation or any reservation involving a new TP, upgrading a TP, or changing a TP reservation IMO. It only takes a couple minutes. Yes, some of that can be done online, but better safe than sorry IMO.

RL example: April 2013 I called Marriott Reservations and cashed in 270K for a category 5 hotel TP that included 120K US miles plus 50% bonus (another 60K US miles) and a 7-night stay at Phuket Renaissance (it was a cat 5 then) with the intent on probably changing it to a better bang for my points property. In October 2013 I called Marriott Reservations and extended the certificate for a year until October 2014 and for 90K points upgraded the certificate to a category 8 and had it attached to, and used it for, a June 2014 stay at St. Ermin's Autograph Collection (which was Cat 8 then). This made for a better return on my points at a value of 1.6ĸ/pt vs 0.92ĸ/pt at the Phuket Ren.

You cannot upgrade/change MR Cat 5-9 certificates to RC Tier 1-5 certificates or vice versa.

Check out this thread in the MR forum for more info: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-packages.html

I hope that helps, and if something lacked clarity or you can't find the answer in the thread linked above, please don't hesitate to ask additional questions.

Last edited by aaupgrade; May 26, 2017 at 5:06 am
Old May 27, 2017, 12:30 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
The miles are transferred within a few days, and the bonus miles within 7 days thereafter per AA T&C.

Yes, you receive a 7-night certificate which needs to be attached to a hotel reservation. I have never done a TP without attaching the hotel certificate to a hotel reservation, but from what I understand it may be done (check out discussion at link provided at the end of this post). The certificate is good for 1 year and may be extended once, for another year from the date you request the extension. Also, the certificate may be removed from one reservation and attached to a different reservation without affecting the expiration date. The certificate is good for the category hotel it is redeemed, but may be used for a lower category hotel or fewer days. While normally one would not want to do that, it can be done. You can upgrade a certificate after your initial purchase.

Many of us just make a dummy award reservation to hold the certificate and change it to another hotel and up the category later if required.

Another in and out of the MR program, when looking for awards if you are unable to find awards for 7 consecutive nights, which usually happens when you plan late or during very high demand times (NYE in Sydney, Christmas in Vail, etc) then you can always make your stays longer and as long as a contiguous stay includes 7 award nights (or less) you can use the certificate. So for Sydney as an example let's say you can get 4 award nights the nights of Dec 26-29, pay for Dec 30 and 31 (at $699 AUD/night) and do 3 more award nights the nights of Jan 1-3, then you can use a 7-night category 8 certificate for that stay. It's best to call Marriott Reservations to make this type of reservation or any reservation involving a new TP, upgrading a TP, or changing a TP reservation IMO. It only takes a couple minutes. Yes, some of that can be done online, but better safe than sorry IMO.

RL example: April 2013 I called Marriott Reservations and cashed in 270K for a category 5 hotel TP that included 120K US miles plus 50% bonus (another 60K US miles) and a 7-night stay at Phuket Renaissance (it was a cat 5 then) with the intent on probably changing it to a better bang for my points property. In October 2013 I called Marriott Reservations and extended the certificate for a year until October 2014 and for 90K points upgraded the certificate to a category 8 and had it attached to, and used it for, a June 2014 stay at St. Ermin's Autograph Collection (which was Cat 8 then). This made for a better return on my points at a value of 1.6ĸ/pt vs 0.92ĸ/pt at the Phuket Ren.

You cannot upgrade/change MR Cat 5-9 certificates to RC Tier 1-5 certificates or vice versa.

Check out this thread in the MR forum for more info: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-packages.html

I hope that helps, and if something lacked clarity or you can't find the answer in the thread linked above, please don't hesitate to ask additional questions.
Thanks aaupgrade for all that information! I read your previous posts as well. Decided to go this way, instead of an instant transfer from SPG to AA. Will try to just get the certificate and if that doesn't work, make a dummy booking.

It's so funny that a lot of AA people find AA miles worth not so much. But I'm a Flying Blue member and find the AA miles worth a lot more Especially to travel First to many destinations to Asia/Pacific.
Old May 27, 2017, 5:14 am

Thanks aaupgrade for all that information! I read your previous posts as well. Decided to go this way, instead of an instant transfer from SPG to AA. Will try to just get the certificate and if that doesn't work, make a dummy booking.

It's so funny that a lot of AA people find AA miles worth not so much. But I'm a Flying Blue member and find the AA miles worth a lot more Especially to travel First to many destinations to Asia/Pacific.
You're welcome.

The perception is derived from AA increasing their redemption amounts a year or so ago, whereas AS did not, so when compared to AS who has many of the same partners, AA miles are not worth as much. I would venture a guess that most FF in the US limit their comparison to US carriers.

Those of us who do extensive international travel AND are familiar with other airline programs outside the US know that AA redemption rates are still a great value. All one has to do is compare redemption rates with Flying Blue, BA Avios, or Asia Miles to realize that. I too use my miles for longhaul F, or J if F is not available, to re-position for the start of my next RTW trip or a rare domestic F trip when I can find saver awards which is becoming more and more difficult.

On a side note, I have switched my primary earning to BA due to AA changing to a dollar based earning system; earning Avios on AA, BA and IB flights and any other flights needed to get BA Gold, and then crediting the rest of my CX, QF, and QR flights to AA. Even with BA's higher redemption rates am coming out ahead, not to mention the added benefit of OW F lounge (or Admirals club/J Lounge) on the 1 or 2 North American (AA domestic) trips I take each year.
Old May 27, 2017, 6:42 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
I am trying to transfer some old Best Western points - says delivery method is Ship - meaning mail. Any way to electronically transfer BW points to AA?
Old May 29, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Just did the transfer today and didn't have to actually book a hotel. I just got a confirmation e-mail stating that I bought the package. When I want to use the 7-night stay certificate I have to make a booking and then call to attach the certificate to the booking.

A+
Old May 29, 2017, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Originally Posted by roadtriper
It absolutly does! I transfered 20K SPG points 2 nights ago, and this am I had a 31,250 AA deposit all in one transaction that was posted as SPG transfer. RT
^

One question: Did the transfer arrive in 2 business days or 2 calendar days?

Thanks
Old May 29, 2017, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DrivingRain
^

One question: Did the transfer arrive in 2 business days or 2 calendar days?

Thanks
I transferred some Marriott points to Starwood (instant) to increase my total to 20K Starwood points - then transferred to AA. Took two days over this holiday weekend for the 31.25K points to show on AA.com.
Old May 30, 2017, 4:37 am

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Originally Posted by cova
I transferred some Marriott points to Starwood (instant) to increase my total to 20K Starwood points - then transferred to AA. Took two days over this holiday weekend for the 31.25K points to show on AA.com.
Fantastic, thanks. Overnight the same thing happened for me. ^
Old Jun 3, 2017, 11:07 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
How often does AA offer a conversion bonus?

Have been looking thru FT archives and can't find any examples where AA has run a promotion like this in the past.

Can anyone remember anything similar?

I don't really need more AA miles now but I hate to pass this up and regret it later.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Have been looking thru FT archives and can't find any examples where AA has run a promotion like this in the past.

I don't really need more AA miles now but I hate to pass this up and regret it later.
Last year they had a 20% conversion bonus in September 2016. I thought the 25% was a pretty good deal this time, so I did a transfer as well. Though I'm not going to book anything yet for another 3 months.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago

I think the offer to which kevinflyaway was referring was actually in October of 2015. Clicking the link will take you to the Marriott thread discussing that offer. I did not find a discussion in the Marriott forum on a 2016 AA bonus offer. FWIW, I did not take advantage of that offer.

In the 1998-present time frame, the only AA related bonus offer other than this one that I have taken advantage of was after the AA-US merger was announced, in April of 2013 I did a TP transferring 120K miles to US with a 50% bonus of 60K, and then transferred the 180K from US to AA in Sep 2014.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 8:22 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
I thought the 25% was a pretty good deal this time, so I did a transfer as well.
I think the offer to which kevinflyaway was referring was actually in October of 2015. Clicking the link will take you to the Marriott thread discussing that offer. I did not find a discussion in the Marriott forum on a 2016 AA bonus offer. FWIW, I did not take advantage of that offer.
It turns out that I needed a 7-night (exactly) award stay this month so the timing was perfect for a redemption. Waiting for the AA miles to post now.

Don't really have an immediate need for the miles piece but really hard to pass up the AA bonus vs. transferring somewhere else.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, Bonvoy LTTit
25% bonus Starwood to American

2500starpoint=2500 +25% American miles
is this a good deal?
Old Jun 10, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, 4.6 MM, LT Pt, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
You might want to read this thread.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-aa-miles.html
Old Jun 11, 2017, 2:47 am

I think the offer to which kevinflyaway was referring was actually in October of 2015.
Damn..I think you might be right
I did a normal transfer last year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.