Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why doesn't AA codeshare to Philippines?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Platinum Elite
Why doesn't AA codeshare to Philippines?

Is there a known reason why AA doesn't codeshare to MNL? I've been trying to get a J ticket through my work travel agent and not having the codeshare is making it quite challenging to book, not to mention way less miles because the connecting leg on either JL or CX doesn't earn very many EQDs.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP
They don't 'cause they don't. No airline offers codeshares on every other airline along every route to every city in the world.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 11:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Could be that the yields for US-Philippines routes are low. Maybe Philippines law is restrictive?
Old Apr 28, 2017, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
Could be that the yields for US-Philippines routes are low. Maybe Philippines law is restrictive?
Yeah that's what I was thinking. Wasn't there something strange about AA award tix from MNL have to be purchased in-person or something? Wondering why AA would have that restriction (and lack of codeshares) but not the other Us carriers
Old Apr 28, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Didn't they used to?

I'm surprised that they won't codeshare to MNL but they will to CGK.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 7:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mmjaysee
Is there a known reason why AA doesn't codeshare to MNL? I've been trying to get a J ticket through my work travel agent and not having the codeshare is making it quite challenging to book, not to mention way less miles because the connecting leg on either JL or CX doesn't earn very many EQDs.
MNL-HKG is something like 700 miles. It's a short flight.

How do you figure you are earning "way less miles" especially if you are flying J? AA will happily sell you connections to MNL from their metal to CX metal in HKG.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Check Flightstats.com. AA doesn't codeshare from MNL (at least not today). Nor does UA or DL.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
I also agree that there must be some strange local rule that discourages the codeshares. I highly doubt it is AA not wanting to do so.

Rasheed
Old Apr 28, 2017, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Check Flightstats.com. AA doesn't codeshare from MNL (at least not today). Nor does UA or DL.
DL doesn't need to codeshare. They fly to MNL.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: DL, AA, AV, AC
Until recently, the Philippines had a Category 2 International Aviation Safety Assessment (IASA) rating by the FAA. As such, US Airlines were not able to code share with airlines from the Philippines. Having said that, the Philippines has been upgraded to Category 1 since late 2014.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA PLT, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by mmjaysee
...Wasn't there something strange about AA award tix from MNL have to be purchased in-person or something?...
Don't know about the code share issue, but I had this problem with a one way AA award ticket MNL-NRT in 2015. They wanted me to come to a ticket office in Manila in person to pay the taxes, but I was in the US. After literally hours of late-night international phone calls and over 100 emails I finally got them to except payment via phone after I emailed my and my companion's passports. Really a ridiculous process...
Old Apr 28, 2017, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by wunderk
Until recently, the Philippines had a Category 2 International Aviation Safety Assessment (IASA) rating by the FAA. As such, US Airlines were not able to code share with airlines from the Philippines. Having said that, the Philippines has been upgraded to Category 1 since late 2014.
True for Phillipine airlines. However I don't believe that is the case for other airlines, for example JAL or CX.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 6:36 pm

I have had a problem for years trying to get award tickets that originate in MNL. I think it has to do with Philippine Law. YMMV
Old Apr 28, 2017, 8:17 pm

They don't codeshare, but they do sell tickets to MNL via HKG, NRT, PVG, or ICN. Just the last segment is on a different carrier and if not one world, you won't be earning any miles.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:55 pm

Booked a ticket last week by redeeming AA miles for MNL-SYD thru cx. AA agent claimed there was an issue for issuing tickets and i had to go into the ticketing office in manila. Ended up going there but apparently agent was completly wrong and since 2015 they can issue tickets perfectly fine.
As for rev tickets i have bought some on AA originating in MNL. Thanksgiving was the most recent trip. However they dont codeshare on the tickets they did sell me. They put me on PAL to NRT then AA the restve the way to sfo / return via jfk-dfw-hkg on AA then CX for hkg-mnl although hkg-mnl was not codeshare either

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.