Second meal in transcon F?

Old Apr 26, 2017, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
I mean how many calories do you need in 6 hours?
I don't think that's germaine to this thread nor necessary for you to know. Let's stay on topic. The mods could probably close it now that the question has been answered.

Last edited by zpaul; Apr 26, 2017 at 10:00 am
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by zpaul
I don't think that's germaine to this thread nor necessary for you to know. Let's stay on topic. The mods could probably close it now that the question has been answered.
I'm not the only one who asked, and it's completely relevant: airline food is generally VERY unhealthy, although sometimes tasty. I don't think you get maximum upgrade value on a transcon breakfast flight because there's no warm nuts, ice cream, etc, but adding all those things that come with lunch or dinner and then a breakfast meal on top of that? Heart attack at 36,000 feet.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Actually, the Hawaii mid-con flights (to/from DFW) have a follow-on service. Westbound it is a snack plate. Eastbound it is a continental breakfast.
HNL-DFW is 3784 miles
OP is going JFK-LAX, 2575 miles. HNL-DFW is 47 percent farther.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Sadly, no second meal on any domestic flight, even on FLAAgship F between JFK and SFO/LAX.
Originally Posted by ryan182
honestly even if there was a second meal you'd be far better off skipping it and going to QF F lounge anyways
Might I suggest that someone flying to LAX, if timing allows it -- and I recognize that that is not always the case -- skip eating entirely on the plane or in the QF lounge and instead eat in a real restaurant? I mean L.A. is known to have a decent restaurant or two, not to mention In-n-Out Burger, any of which will be light years better than what is offered on any airplane or in any airport lounge.

(As someone who is flying to MSY tomorrow, I am surprised that serving airplane food on flights into MSY is not barred by the Geneva Convention.)
Old Apr 26, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
You'll get a dopey breakfast, and that's it. If you're still hungry, you can ask the crew if there's anything else to eat and they might find something for you.

Originally Posted by Blumie
(As someone who is flying to MSY tomorrow, I am surprised that serving airplane food on flights into MSY is not barred by the Geneva Convention.)
I know what you mean. Even the fried chicken right down the street from MSY at Brother's gas station is superb!
Old Apr 26, 2017, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
I mean how many calories do you need in 6 hours?
I'll say it -- I'm hungry again in less than 6 hours.

Not that it's EVER coming back, but for purposes of discussion, back in the "old days," as referenced above, US used to serve a hot meal and a cold arrival meal on all its morning westbound transcons in BOTH cabins. The arrival meal in first class was something like a small sandwich, side salad, and a dessert like cheesecake, and the meal in coach was something like cold sandwich tray (or a boxed sandwich, bag of baby cut carrots and a candy bar later on.)

You took off and ate breakfast at breakfast time, and then landed after lunch time in your originating city, so I ate the whole arrival meal easily every time.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by BWISkyGuy
I'll say it -- I'm hungry again in less than 6 hours.
Louis CK on hunger
Old Apr 26, 2017, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Sadly, no second meal on any domestic flight, even on FLAAgship F between JFK and SFO/LAX.
OP should count his/her blessings. One AA meal is bad enough.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Sorry, I should clarify that I meant by "mid-con" that the flights are from mid-continental USA to Hawaii. (as opposed to AA's other Hawaii flights that are from the West Coast or PHX)

In the old days, "Hawaii midcon" meant Hawaii widebody flights to/from DFW or ORD.....nowadays only DFW has these flights.
Yeah, I worked for AA back in the old days. We didn't refer to it as a Hawaii midcon".
Old Apr 26, 2017, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
I'm not the only one who asked, and it's completely relevant: airline food is generally VERY unhealthy, although sometimes tasty. I don't think you get maximum upgrade value on a transcon breakfast flight because there's no warm nuts, ice cream, etc, but adding all those things that come with lunch or dinner and then a breakfast meal on top of that? Heart attack at 36,000 feet.
Well about a year ago when I was working out daily (kind of nice not having a "real" job ) I would eat about 3,500 calories per day and I'm under 6 feet. Not sure you can really judge someone for wanting 2 meals in 6-7 hours if you don't know their circumstances. I will say though that I agree on the unhealthy part. The only "healthy" part of the meals seems to be actually just the "not unhealthy" part.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.