Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: DL launches LAX-DCA with DeltaOne premium service - will AA respond?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation: DL launches LAX-DCA with DeltaOne premium service - will AA respond?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Last time I flew LAX-JFK in J, it was on the old 762s with reclining seats (I really liked those seats).

Just a random question here for those that fly frequently LAX-JFK.
Other than in the red eye, do you really see a lot of people with the seat in the flat position and sleeping all the way through?

Just wondering, do you really need a flat bed seat for day/evening 5 hour flight such as LAX-DCA?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Where did DL get the slot and perimeter exception from?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ellinj
Where did DL get the slot and perimeter exception from?
From DL PR release --

To provide service to the West Coast, Delta will reallocate one of its two “beyond-perimeter” roundtrip flights from Salt Lake City to Los Angeles. At the same time, the airline will begin service from Washington-Dulles to Salt Lake City, maintaining the number of total seats Delta offers between the D.C. area and Salt Lake City.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by carlosdca
Last time I flew LAX-JFK in J, it was on the old 762s with reclining seats (I really liked those seats).

Other than in the red eye, do you really see a lot of people with the seat in the flat position and sleeping all the way through?

Just wondering, do you really need a flat bed seat for day/evening 5 hour flight such as LAX-DCA?
OP here, I can only speak for myself but I do about 7 or 8 LAX-JFK round trips a year (and 2 or 3 LAX-DCA, and 2 or 3 LAX-MIA). About half of the time I take the early morning flights to JFK (and always early morning to/from DCA) and I do use the bed to take a nap.

But it's more than just the flat bed seat. It is the fact that AA offers an actual business class product on LAX-JFK (and MIA) with J in cabin service and lounge access on both ends. That's a big difference.

If AA won't deploy A321T on LAX-DCA, then maybe give us lounge access or modify the soft product a bit. Just some ideas.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by bzcat

If AA won't deploy A321T on LAX-DCA, then maybe give us lounge access or modify the soft product a bit. Just some ideas.
Ding ding ding! There's a pretty easy fix here. AA could instantly become more competitive by returning to the soft product offered pre-2014 on transcon routes (and currently offered on 738 routes from MIA-LAX), which include menus, 3 entree choices, duvets, Bose headphones, arrival snacks, and AC access on both ends. A very easy interim fix until they can evaluate whether or not to deploy an int'l configured 757 on the route (a pre-mod LUS 757 would be quite adequate, despite only having 12 J recliners). AA should also ensure that new AVOD/BSI 738s or only LAA 321s are deployed on the route, as well. Most people aren't fooled by marketing names like "Delta One," and simply observe the actual product that they're offered on board and on the ground.

Additional incentives such as double AAdvantage miles on the route through the end of the year, etc, could easily limit defectors in the market.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by AZbba
The writing is on the wall. AA will need a narrowbody config with ~16-20 lie flat seats to compete with this and especially jetblue mint. Mint is ever expanding.

Basically any flight between MIA/NYC/BOS and SEA/PDX (possibly) /SFO/LAX/SAN is going to have to get some sort of premium transcon plane or jetblue is going to eat everyone's lunch.
Agree, however, there is no easy fix to the hard product issue.

Short term, AA should immediately return to the former transcon F soft product offering on all flights that operate from BOS, JFK, PHL, DCA, CLT, and MIA to SEA, SFO, and LAX. I can see SAN potentially being included in that list, but doubt second tier cities such as PDX, SJC, and SMF, etc, would be included, despite the fact that other airlines such as PMCO have considered cities like SAN and PDX as premium transcon cities in the past from EWR. I can't imagine the incremental costs being that much to simply add headphones, duvets, an additional entree choice, and print some menus. However the perception of the product quality will be dramatically enhanced and feel like "real" first class again.

Logistically, all of those cities, with the exceptions of DCA (with only two daily flights to LAX, meaning 32 F seats per day) and SEA are stations that already have access to those service items.

Last edited by GotCalcio4; Apr 25, 2017 at 1:52 pm
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:25 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by carlosdca

I normally fly F with an occasional J flight and have NEVER used the bed. I just enjoy the flights for the space, the wine, what used to be premium service, and the entertainment options. It's basically a flying party for me!
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:56 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
I normally fly F with an occasional J flight and have NEVER used the bed. I just enjoy the flights for the space, the wine, what used to be premium service, and the entertainment options. It's basically a flying party for me!
I sometimes sleep on the flights. And if I've got dinner and post-dinner plans on arrival, then I may sleep even when going from the East Coast to the West Coast.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by WalterSFO
it appears that BA will never attempt to do LCY-DCA.

AA should get some guts and fly LCY-DCA in a joint venture with BA. LHR-IAD is no picnic, especially the wait to clear immigration/customs.
Only three problems here: 1) LCY is somewhat beyond the permitted perimeter for DCA. They would need, among other things, Congressional approval, and I can guarantee it wouldn't happen. 2) Even if a perimeter waiver was permitted, DCA has no customs facility, and that would require pre-clearance at LCY. 3) Even if 1) and 2) happened, DCA's short runways can't come close to handling a fully fueled and loaded widebody. The largest aircraft going into and out of DCA is a 757.

LCY-DCA ain't never gonna happen.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Zero chance that AA flies LAX-DCA with an A321T. Slightly better chance that AA would fly the route with a 75L, of which AA has plenty.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP sad former CK, Bonvoy LT Plat, BAEC Gold, VS, former UA, UA no longer, never, ever, QF
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Zero chance that AA flies LAX-DCA with an A321T. Slightly better chance that AA would fly the route with a 75L, of which AA has plenty.
One could hope (75L, more economy for kettles). Essentially doing exactly what Delta is doing (2 class service, lie flat and kettles).

As for the LCY/DCA speculation, BA flies an all J configured 319 on that route, not a wide body (in response to a prior comment).
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by rowingman

As for the LCY/DCA speculation, BA flies an all J configured 319 on that route, not a wide body (in response to a prior comment).
Are you talking about the 318 service JFK to LCY?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP sad former CK, Bonvoy LT Plat, BAEC Gold, VS, former UA, UA no longer, never, ever, QF
Yes, the only transatlantic from LCY is on a 319
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by rowingman
Yes, the only transatlantic from LCY is on a 319
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:51 pm

At least on BA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.