Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

I'm going to start using the FA call button. Why not?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I'm going to start using the FA call button. Why not?!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
I was recently in J on an AA codeshare on BA LHR-LAX and noticed that maybe it was the super old 380 equipment but the call button when pressed does not make any noise or light in the galley, only a light above your seat. I pressed it a few times and the only FA who noticed did because he was passing by my seat up from coach. I guess that's one way to do it
Old Apr 27, 2017, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Funny. So I started this thread looking ahead to by flight AA73.

I'm on the 77W in J. So, I decide I'm pushing the button. Then I can't find it! Turns out it's on the remote. Then, it does nothing. I mean, it might call an FA. But it gives zero feedback to the passenger. FUNNY.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by ESpen36
I would not use the call button for a drink or other service element. It is rude because it signals to the FAs that I need something urgently, and it interrupts whatever duties they might be carrying out at the time. Instead, I would just stand up (if the seat belt sign and conditions permit) and walk up to the galley to make my request politely.

I would never use the call button except in an urgent/emergency situation. For example: I once used it when a kid sitting next to me vomited explosively and we needed a bunch of paper towels to clean up. I was not able to stand up to get the towels myself because we were on final approach. The FA was happy to help.

My $0.02.
This is ridiculous. Not you, per se, but this discussion.

If the call button is truly for emergencies only, it should be renamed so, and perhaps some verbiage included in the pre-take off announcement that pax should only use that button in the case of an actual emergency.

It's a FA call button. I agree if the FA's are performing duties and being attentive throughout the cabin, it's probably rude to hit the call button. But when the FAs are chatting and not paying attention to the cabin (a frequent phenomena), I hit the button.

Very extreme story here - I was in 5E on a 737 a month or so ago. One of the FA's must have known the couple in 6E & 6F. I am not exaggerating when I say that after the food service, the FA knelt down and carried on a 45 minute conversation with the couple. My noise canceling headphones made it barely tolerable. But with chatty FA in the aisle, secondary drink service stopped. Needless to say, I pressed the "rude" button. FA didn't blink. A different FA took my drink order and apologized later to me as she understood the situation and clearly was embarrassed by it.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
I fly AA F/J class and use "the button" when I want something like a snack or drink. I usually know what I want (a glass of the pinot noir... a banana... more nuts...) and am polite and businesslike. I don't think I've ever had any reaction that was less than the same back. Worst case, it can take some time if they're busy with something (blocking the flight deck so the pilot can pee, etc).
Old Apr 27, 2017, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by Steve M
I think it's hard to make the argument that the call button is for "emergencies only" when many of them look like this:

https://img0.etsystatic.com/000/0/67....319144410.jpg
if you ask an FA, they'll probably tell you that it's not an image of a beverage on the button, it's a Cabin Safety Professional holding a megaphone throughout the flight just in case they need to evac the plane on short notice. (or maybe it's a rolled up People Magazine...)

Seriously, Boeing and Airbus both put an image of a person holding a beverage on the call button. Who are we to question their aeronautical engineering credentials ?
Old Apr 27, 2017, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by carlosdca
IIRC, on Etihad and Qatar (The J cabins I've flown in the past few months) the call button does not make a sound, only a light comes up.
It may make a sound in the galley.

Originally Posted by carlosdca
Is it really that loud on AA's aircraft to disturb other pax?
I believe that it's the same chime that the pilot rings to alert the cabin crew that it's OK to start the cabin service. So, yes, you can hear it; but it's far from loud.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by txpenny
If the call button is truly for emergencies only, it should be renamed so,
It should also probably be red in that case. @:-)
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by Steve M
I think it's hard to make the argument that the call button is for "emergencies only" when many of them look like this:

https://img0.etsystatic.com/000/0/67....319144410.jpg
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Old Apr 28, 2017, 1:44 pm

On the LAA A321s the FAs have the ability to "mute" the chime on the call lights.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 6:30 pm
Suspended

Put me in that small, silent, cowardly minority of people that doesn't feel comfortable ringing the call button for routine drink/service requests.

With deepest shame, -jon
Old Apr 28, 2017, 8:16 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Put me in that small, silent, cowardly minority of people that doesn't feel comfortable ringing the call button for routine drink/service requests.

With deepest shame, -jon
I hope you love company because I'm in that same camp.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JonNYC

With deepest shame, -jon
Has a bit of the "summon the servants" feel to it, no?
Old Apr 28, 2017, 11:35 pm

Programs: LH HON
The only time I use it is sitting on a window seat in coach on during a night flight and I simply don't want to wake up the people sitting next to me. Usually the FA are pretty understandable about this. Of course being polite shouldn't be worth mentioning, that's how we should all treat each other.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by rjw242
Has a bit of the "summon the servants" feel to it, no?
Not at all. When most flight attendants these days do a service then crawl back to their jump seat to read or zone out I have no problem pushing the button. This situation for me at least is only when I get upgraded to the F cabin.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Originally Posted by ckx2
The only time I use it is sitting on a window seat in coach on during a night flight and I simply don't want to wake up the people sitting next to me. Usually the FA are pretty understandable about this. Of course being polite shouldn't be worth mentioning, that's how we should all treat each other.
^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.