Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Eagle's Nest (LAX Remote/regional jet terminal) How to Fix

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Eagle's Nest (LAX Remote/regional jet terminal) How to Fix

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2017, 4:28 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I actually think they've done a nice job on the Eagles Nest itself. Plenty of seating, good lighting, tables with plugins. The AC is decent although it can really get crowded.

In terms of problems, they really need an escalator to/from the bus drop off in terminal 5. The bus wait has been better the last couple of trips although there can be a lot of congestion between waiting for aircraft to taxi, etc.

Now if only the Escalade was waiting for me
^

The metal stairs up and down with hand luggage is a real PIA for those (such as myself) who need to use a handrail but do not need other assistance.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
^

The metal stairs up and down with hand luggage is a real PIA for those (such as myself) who need to use a handrail but do not need other assistance.
+1. The last time I flew from the Eagles' Nest it was raining and the stairs were slick. That's just an accident waiting to happen.

re: the buses. On a returning flight last year our gate wasn't available. We must have "surprised" them with an early arrival. So they parked the plane away from the terminal and we were bussed to the terminal...but not the main terminal, the Eagles' Nest! Where we then had be bussed to the main terminal. After catching a bus to the parking garage, we realized we'd spent as much time waiting for and riding on the 3 buses after landing as we had on the short flight.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I used it for the first time a few days ago.
Couple of minutes to wait for a bus at T4.

Nice enough place even if well out of the way.
Would be nice if there was a tunnel to it as with some of the other terminals.
Was surprised to see an Admiral's Club there. Thought it was just a remote gate area with zero facilities.

I had a lovely sunny day so nice little walk to my plane even if a bit convuluted.

Flying back into it today so will see how efficient the return is.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:08 am

Got there last Night. Sat 20 minutes on runway. Then another 20 minutes for them to get ramp out. Bus left 10 minutes after that. Ridiculous.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:14 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
They need more buses, drivers, and frequency. They know how many people will be arriving/departing there daily. There should be no excuse for anything longer than a 10 minute wait for a bus.

I'm back to using Southwest for my NorCal flights. No taxiing around to use the North runway as you are already there. I hate Southwest and a crowded T1, but I hate waiting even more.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 11:07 am

It has been a while since I have connected to/from an Eagles Nest flight because I hate being bussed at airports. I have an upcoming connection at LAX on a E75 flight I presumed it was to a main gate. I believe I was wrong?
It says Term 5 Gate 52D. Is this a main gate , bussed gate to Eagles Nest , or a bussed gate to the airplane ? I hope it is not the latter. If it is , is there any priority boarding for Bus. class or just your normal scrum ?
Old Apr 23, 2017, 11:15 am

fantasy, but would be brilliant to have a point for egress directly to Century Blvd for carry-on-only passengers. would save me 30 minutes getting home by avoiding the airside bus and ground transportation delays from the back of the LAX U.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anc305
It has been a while since I have connected to/from an Eagles Nest flight because I hate being bussed at airports. I have an upcoming connection at LAX on a E75 flight I presumed it was to a main gate. I believe I was wrong?
It says Term 5 Gate 52D. Is this a main gate , bussed gate to Eagles Nest , or a bussed gate to the airplane ? I hope it is not the latter. If it is , is there any priority boarding for Bus. class or just your normal scrum ?
Bus to the nest from 52D.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by anc305
Not sure what gate your other flight goes from but gate 52D is an Eagles Nest gate.

There are buses between the eagles nest and terminal 4/5. There's usually not much of a wait for the buses although 5 minutes can seem like 10. Just make sure you catch the right bus.

In terms of boarding at the EN, its just like any other boarding by group number. The EN is a little more open than the average gate structure so there actually seems to be less of a scrum.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by E55
The Eagle's Nest has some things going for it... namely its own Admiral's Club. You might see additional benefits that I'm missing, but realistically, the AC might be about all it has going for it on the positive end.

The experience, as a whole, needs some attention for it to remain a viable option. Doing the math, a short connection in PHX via a mainline plane could add up to fewer minutes overall on some of the longer non-transcon desitnations.

Can the Eagle's Nest experience be dramatically improved by additional bus capacity alone? Wait times to get TO the Eagle's Nest from T4/T5 have easily pushed 20 minutes (plus the actual ride, which can be delayed on the road by plane cross traffic). And returning, 40 minutes of pure waiting after deplaning for a ride back to T4/T5 (plus the actual ride time).

Even with my expectations set low, the Eagle's Nest experience is not one that can keep me coming back. I can only imagine passengers who aren't prepared for the Eagle's Nest flight's quirks (like those sprinting from the bus to make their flight or connection).

What ideas might help it? Or is it hopeless... to be left to wither?
Build a drop off area off Sepulveda Blvd with a bridge to the terminal area from the drop off area for the Eagles Nest and perhaps have AA open up a AA Shuttle like Delta Shuttle to SJC/SFO/SAN/MRY Etc with snack services and alcohol included in Economy and First Class over a more substantial meal.

For those deplaning at LAX or enplaning have them drop off passengers at the remote terminal directly. For those connecting then they can take the bus to Terminal 4.

Uber, Taxis, Airport Buses would also serve the Eagles Nest checkin and even have an outdoor parking lot for short one day trips for $20 for a day and the other long term lots for longer stays. The First Hour at the outdoor lot is free for picking up and dropping of passengers.

The remote terminal would have a small baggage claim, checkin counters and security.

Last edited by danielonn; Apr 23, 2017 at 2:06 pm
Old Apr 23, 2017, 2:49 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by danielonn
Build a drop off area off Sepulveda Blvd with a bridge to the terminal area from the drop off area for the Eagles Nest and perhaps have AA open up a AA Shuttle like Delta Shuttle to SJC/SFO/SAN/MRY Etc with snack services and alcohol included in Economy and First Class over a more substantial meal.

For those deplaning at LAX or enplaning have them drop off passengers at the remote terminal directly. For those connecting then they can take the bus to Terminal 4.

Uber, Taxis, Airport Buses would also serve the Eagles Nest checkin and even have an outdoor parking lot for short one day trips for $20 for a day and the other long term lots for longer stays. The First Hour at the outdoor lot is free for picking up and dropping of passengers.

The remote terminal would have a small baggage claim, checkin counters and security.
This isn't the craziest idea in the world. It works nicely in LGA for Delta w/the Marine Air Terminal, used exclusively for Shuttle operations.

I'd actually become MORE loyal to AA if they were able to make this happen, as an LAX-based flyer. I've had many trips this year given over to DL and WN on shorthaul Eagle ops, simply to avoid the Eagle's Nest dance. It's annoying. I've not experienced the painful wait times others here reference, but it's true that the experience isn't ideal. They could turn it into a unique LAX experience.

That said, I don't think their main catchment area for Eagle ops is O&D at LAX, it's connecting traffic. But it'd keep me enthusiastic about the overall product mix at LAX. Eagle ops going mostly E170/E175 has been such a huge improvement.

FWIW, I did walk by a CR9 parked in T5 this week, headed to PHX. I swear I've seen AA E170/5 ops at T4 and earlier at T6 too.

Nevertheless, I wonder if there's space for Eagle's Nest is going to be eliminated with the big DL shuffle over to T2/T3. What should ideally happen is AA and UA swap positions in the airport with AA taking T7 and T8 and UA taking T4 and a little of T5, but something tells me that's very unlikely to happen.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by danielonn

Good idea but only if the Eagle's nest will be around for the long term. There has been talk about building a Terminal 9 or a mid-field south concourse, both projects would involve closing the Eagle's nest.

Originally Posted by dll
Nevertheless, I wonder if there's space for Eagle's Nest is going to be eliminated with the big DL shuffle over to T2/T3. What should ideally happen is AA and UA swap positions in the airport with AA taking T7 and T8 and UA taking T4 and a little of T5, but something tells me that's very unlikely to happen.
T4 and T5 are closer to the Tom Bradley terminal where AA's OneWorld partners fly out of. The current setup is better for international connections.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Austin787
Good idea but only if the Eagle's nest will be around for the long term. There has been talk about building a Terminal 9 or a mid-field south concourse, both projects would involve closing the Eagle's nest.

Could a portion of Terminal 9 be used for AA Eagle flights?

T4 and T5 are closer to the Tom Bradley terminal where AA's OneWorld partners fly out of. The current setup is better for international connections.
Agreed. I like having the option to go to the International Terminal and plane spot flying on Delta(soon to move to Terminal 2/3), United and American.

I enjoy seeing the "Big Boys' at the International Terminal get something o eat and walk back through the airside connector and tunnels to the terminals.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
I don't get the "new" shuttle buses. They are terrible for purposes of transporting people around an airport. There are steep stairs, no luggage racks and minimal handles to hold on if you are standing up/not very tall. I don't get why they don't use a more rental car shuttle style bus or a standard airport remote gate bus with a low step up and lots of different places to hold on.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by dll
FWIW, I did walk by a CR9 parked in T5 this week, headed to PHX. I swear I've seen AA E170/5 ops at T4 and earlier at T6 too.
I believe all PHX flights are out of T5. Until the swap out of T6, they were out of the old USAir gates. Not sure why they haven't mixed in elsewhere but I always know where the gate is for those flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.