Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Baby Stroller Incident on AA591 SFO>DFW April 21st

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baby Stroller Incident on AA591 SFO>DFW April 21st

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:12 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by sbrower
They will probably start with a secret database that very few people here have ever heard of, It is known as the "Aadvantage account" and I have heard rumors that it can be used to find a listing of flights on which you have traveled.
As I suggested in the post of mine which you quoted: use of passenger name and "other PNR stored items" for the passenger's SFO-DFW flight may be used to try to find at least some of her prior travel history. And my bet is that she's had an AA account, as a large proportion of US-flying Argentines seem to have.

You know it's a secret that there is a field for FFP account info in PNRs, right? That is included by my mention of "other PNR stored items" in the post of mine to which you responded.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Finkface
Um, no.
"Demetrio said that the woman contacted him, and he also confirmed to the “Today Show” that neither the woman nor her baby were actually hit by the stroller."

As to all the rest, totally agree.
Ah thanks for that, didn't realize she called him..even less sympathy now
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TWA884
The "facts" will be determined by a jury, if the case gets that far, which I doubt it will. Some here choose to believe the woman and her hired gun's version, no matter what, while others wait for all the evidence, whether physical or testimonial, to emerge.

The bruise seen on her forehead in the video supports drawing an inference or even a conclusion that she was struck in the head by the stroller, be it at her doing or the flight attendant's.

Finally, let me direct you to another part of the jury instruction which I quoted above:
Both the woman and her lawyer, Mr. Demetrio, have a financial stake in the outcome of the lawsuit they are about to file.
The first two paragraphs above present false dichotomies.

The woman and her lawyer are not the only persons with a financial stake in the outcome of a potential lawsuit over this incident.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by ryan182
Ah thanks for that, didn't realize she called him..even less sympathy now
I've never had sympathy for her. Basically, all the ambulance chasers are coming out of the woodwork trying to recreate Dr Dao
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
No I got your point, it's just a stretch to make that point in this thread.

My ideas? I don't find things so bad at the moment that I feel the need for any dramatic changes. I pay for extra legspace, whether it's F, J or Y+ and while I could certainly imagine an improved experience, I'm not suffering from the delusion that governmental intervention is what is needed here.
Don't insult posters by calling their opinions that happen to differ from yours "delusional."

I'm not suffering from any delusions. I think that if anyone is suffering from delusions, they are people who shrug off years and decades of incidents like these as minor, and then, when the news media finally hits a trifecta of well-videoed examples, shrugs it off as merely an exception.

I'm continuing to posit that these examples are symptoms of the underlying cancer in the airline business these days, and that the airlines themselves will never take the steps necessary to restore civility to their product. So let the government try.

The car makers were just like this in the 60s and 70s. They screamed, delayed, postured, deflected, claimed stuff was "minor," shrugged off incidents, and had to be dragged into headrests, seat belts, padded dashboards, side marker lights, backup lights, and collapsible steering columns by...government regulations. It wasn't their gallantry or "doing the right thing" that got safer cars on the road.

Now we need safer airplanes. Not mechanically safer; environmentally safer.

Last edited by DenverBrian; Apr 25, 2017 at 10:35 pm Reason: Appeasement of various Buzz Killingtons in the thread
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:08 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
I definitely had the feeling that this woman would still sue AA even though she was coddled with a refund of her (their) tickets, upgraded to F-class and given something else (miles ?). Read this somewhere, here on FT, maybe ? Nevertheless, AA's efforts were for naught.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by FlyingNone
I definitely had the feeling that this woman would still sue AA even though she was coddled with a refund of her (their) tickets, upgraded to F-class and given something else (miles ?). Read this somewhere, here on FT, maybe ? Nevertheless, AA's efforts were for naught.
I disagree. AA's response means they will owe her little, if anything, in a lawsuit.

UA, on the other hand, will be strung out to dry and they totally deserve it.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by wolf72
I actually disagreed with the passenger (the male passenger who stood up to confront the male FA) making the threat to the FA. You can't do that. Regardless of what has transpired.

What he should have done was go to the other FA's and stated he wanted to file a complaint against the male FA and to be polite about it and not to get heated or angry. It just caused the situation to escalate.

The captain was utterly useless in diffusing the situation. His plane. His rules. He should have stepped in and told both sides to calm down and taken charge of the situation. It again, would probably not have escalated if there was someone there who showed some leadership and some sensible actions and got everyone to back down/calm down and to separate both parties.

1) Get the lady with the babies seated. Get her some water and someone to listen to her complaint and to get her calm.

2) Get the male FA outside the door and to get someone to talk to him and to find out what happened.

The captain to get on to all passengers to re-assure them everything is okey and it was a small misunderstanding that got bigger than it should have and that it has been resolved and they would be pushing back shortly.
NO, telling the other FA that you want to make a complaint is likely to get you thrown off the flight. In fact, you can be kicked off by crew even if they think/believe/fear that you might file a complaint or if they remember you from some earlier flight where a complaint was made.

FAs tend to protect their own. They will not tell you their colleagues' (first) names when you ask, no matter how justified. GAs behave the same way even when they obviously think that their colleague is seriously wrong.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 12:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Marriott PLT, SPG PLT, AA EXP, Virgin Elevate
OH PLEASE STOP IT... why must so many of you blame the victim. Can you believe it there are people out there who don't fly that often and may not know where the stroller goes. Perhaps we should have everyone who is going to fly pass a quiz before they board... just to make sure the know the rules.

Sorry, this is where the Flight Attendant steps in and provides customer service...THIS IS THIER JOB. The American Airlines Staff was in the wrong, from the captain to the flight attendant.

Originally Posted by Martina70
It sounds like the mother already had some anxiety issues before she stepped on the plane. In all the times I have traveled with my small children, I was told that our umbrella strollers could be gate checked. I would never delude myself into thinking that being able to take up the jet way would mean I could carry it on the aircraft. Where on earth would someone think it would be stored? The captains closet?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by Andaz5
OH PLEASE STOP IT... why must so many of you blame the victim. Can you believe it there are people out there who don't fly that often and may not know where the stroller goes. Perhaps we should have everyone who is going to fly pass a quiz before they board... just to make sure the know the rules.

Sorry, this is where the Flight Attendant steps in and provides customer service...THIS IS THIER JOB. The American Airlines Staff was in the wrong, from the captain to the flight attendant.
It's not her fault because she didn't know the rules. It's her fault because when told the rules, she decided to ignore them and start looking for a payout.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:21 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Andaz5

By all accounts the flight attendant was trying to educate the passenger on what to do with the stroller and that's the route of the problem. I think we all agree that it's the airline crew's job to maintain a professional demeanor in the face of adverse behavior by customers, but I think most would agree sometimes customers behave poorly, and it appears that may have been the case in this situation.

Are we saying that no matter how poorly a passenger acts, that they should not bear any of the blame for a bad situation if the crew behaves poorly? So then a passenger behaving badly should just continue to escalate their poor behavior until they elicit a poor response from the crew, then they can't be blamed! Sounds like a fantastic plan.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Beckles

Are we saying that no matter how poorly a passenger acts, that they should not bear any of the blame for a bad situation if the crew behaves poorly? So then a passenger behaving badly should just continue to escalate their poor behavior until they elicit a poor response from the crew, then they can't be blamed! Sounds like a fantastic plan.
Your post just said that, while Andaz5's post didn't say any such thing.

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
I disagree. AA's response means they will owe her little, if anything, in a lawsuit.

UA, on the other hand, will be strung out to dry and they totally deserve it.
AA is indeed in a much better position due to its response to this stroller incident than UA is over its bungled response to forcefully removing a man approaching his 70th year of life for refusing to accept VDB/IDB.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:51 am

At least AA responded better than United did.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by Radiant Flyer
Very good article. I doubt many will read it. Heck I doubt many people reading and commenting here have even watched the full video with the sound on.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Indeed. The inconsistent internet "witness" messages -- much built on hearsay -- about the passenger being hit with the stroller wouldn't sound as convincing to me as the woman's lawyer's statement that the FA didn't hit her with the stroller (if that is indeed what the lawyer said). When a "witness" or hearsay communicator gets basic facts wrong, their credibility does indeed tend to go down.
It's not what the lawyer said. He didn't say it specifically either way. Least not in clips I've seen. Google Demetrio Today show. If anyone finds a clip where he is more specific let us know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.