Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Baby Stroller Incident on AA591 SFO>DFW April 21st

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baby Stroller Incident on AA591 SFO>DFW April 21st

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by deskover54
And pay triple the price
Originally Posted by tom911
Remember when AA added additional legroom to every row in coach? I believe it was called MRTC (More Room Throughout Coach). As it did involve removing some rows of seats to provide that extra legroom, they expected to be able to command a higher price to cover the loss of revenue. It didn't happen. Customers would not pay extra to fly on AA for that extra legroom, so AA removed it in most rows and left a few rows at the front of the plane for elite passengers.

Do you think customers are willing to pay a premium to fly AA if they add all that extra legroom back in? I don't see it happening.
As I recall, AA was not charging triple the price during the MRTC era and it is not currently charging triple the price for MCE seats.

Given many flyers penchant for choosing airlines based on price, I don't see a general return to extra legroom either.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 4:37 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I would have been more impressed with the captain's leadership and ability to make executive decisions if he had kicked the out of control FA off of "his" aircraft based on the FA's behavior that the captain had personally witnessed.

I'm almost surprised that some customers didn't refuse to fly with that FA.
I have thought since the beginning that the Capt was as assertive and as authoritative as a bag of marshmallow. The cabin of his ship is in uproar and he did nothing. I take the point that standing the FA down is a big issue - I am not sure what the minimum crew members are in the USA for this type of aircraft.

What is so unfortunate is that we only have hearsay as to what triggered the whole incident - and although the behaviour of the FA beggars belief - we may be judging guilty without knowing all the facts. That he should never have kicked off like that goes without saying and he should be reprimanded for that. Indeed, I would have him into a training school and under supervision. He should just have ignored the passenger in F - whereas he chose to shout back. The Captain does - nothing. What leadership is that.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 5:30 am

Programs: United MP 1K, SPG Gold
All i see is an aggressive flight attendant, and a crying mom... all airlines are the same.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:24 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ashill
Um, yes, that happens all the time, but the reports are very clear that that is not what happened in this case. What every report I've seen agrees on is that the FA grabbed the stroller out of the woman's hand and, in the process, hit her rather violently (if probably accidentally) in the face, just missing one of the babies. Accidentally whacking someone as you walk by in a crowded plane is very different than accidentally whacking someone in the process of deliberately grabbing a heavy item out of her hands.

(Whether she bore some responsibility for the confrontation is another question.)
There is actually one report that doesn't agree, but seems most are skeptical of that. And according to one article I read, apparently the "witness" said he was sitting across from the woman filming the video, except the person that filmed the video was a man (I guess there could have been multiple people filming).

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Granted, the F passenger could have said something to the male FA that didn't invite a fight, the problem is that it's tough to think everything through on such short notice. Us keyboard warriors have a lot more time to think it through.

The best thing for the F passenger to say was "I'm reporting you for assault! What it your name?" and then follow through. There is absolutely no reason for a flight attendant to remain on that flight with such a horrible attitude towards people.
That is pretty much what he did (while the FA was not present). It's not clear whether the crew gave it to him or planned to later, but he did calmy return to his seat. (It's also not clear whether he did actually witness the stroller hitting her.). When the FA returned the passenger made the statement that some are interpreting as a threat, but he did not approach him until the FA's angry response.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by richarddd
Given many flyers penchant for choosing airlines based on price, I don't see a general return to extra legroom either.
Unless it was mandated by the government for all airlines, the same way FA levels are mandated or oxygen masks are mandated. @:-)

I wish people would actually read my posts. I never said that only American should go back to MRTC - I proposed that ALL airlines be required to have a minimum seat pitch.

If we require all airlines to do certain things because of safety and security - well, in 2017, it's time to realize that a minimum amount of space per passenger is a safety and security issue.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:04 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA PP
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
WN fares actually are quite often significantly higher than legacy fares. Something they obscure by avoiding price comparison sites and telling everyone they're cheap (i.e. they count on people directly going to their website because it's 'cheap' and them being unaware that AA/UA/DL might be 100 bucks less for their particular routing).

But aside from that, you're talking about cumulative effects here and a cumulative loss of 4% of revenue per flight would be significant.

You also forgot the 20-25% increase in FA staffing levels that the poster also proposed. In other words, the proposals would lead to reduced revenues (due to lower seat density) and significantly increased cost (due to increased FA staffing).

Some airlines would be in legitimate trouble, others would simply increase fares. The link to this particular incident escapes me anyway. There is no evidence that more legroom or an extra FA would have made a difference in this incident or the United incident.
I was CP on US. I'm now A-List on WN. I do have to compare pricing when flying per company policy, and as long as they are "close" I can choose to fly on whatever carrier I please. 95% of the time, WN is the less expensive option. When AA is lower, it's seldom by more than 10%. I have been flying WN for the past two years because the planes are MUCH cleaner, most planes offer USB power ports, they offer IFE on most flights, and the FA's and GA's are much more pleasant. No, I don't get a cushy seat in F, but at 5'6 and even with long legs, I still have enough room as WN has greater pitch. They offer 125 ml bottles of Champagne, which when mixed with OJ makes a nice mimosa, and they send me more drink coupons than I can use, as the FA's seldom take them from me.

I still have over 500,000 miles on AA and took an AA flight a couple months ago to keep them active. I'll use them on BA flights to Europe, which is the only thing that I don't like about WN.

I am the customer that AA should have reached out to in order to see what they did wrong, but it's been crickets. I am sure I'm not the only top-tier passenger who has walked away from them. At some point, you'd think they would take the hint. instead they are in the race to the bottom with UA.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by reamworks
Airplaines are crowded. I fly at least once a week and I probably get wacked by crew or pax about once a month. Only an insane person would think it's intentional We say excuse me and move on.

But next time I'm on American, I'm going to try crying to get an upgrade!
She was injured enough that from 20' you could visibly see a large bump forming on her forehead. Big difference between that and the buffoon with an giant backpack who keeps turning around to talk to the person behind them and sideswipes you repeatedly in the process. It's annoying, but it's never caused an actual injury.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
Of interest is the incident last week where a passenger pushed a (AA?) pilot in the Kansas City airport and was cited by the police. The passenger was angry at how the pilot, who was apparently deadheading, had spread out of his space on the inbound plane. The passenger was trying to get the pilot's name tag on a photo, the pilot was trying to stop the passenger, and the passenger then pushed the pilot down, injuring him.

It hits on two themes in this thread: (1) how an employee should handle a customer that wants to file a complaint and (2) the lack of on-board space. It also shows a disturbing breakdown of civil order on our planes and in airports.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:41 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Unless it was mandated by the government for all airlines, the same way FA levels are mandated or oxygen masks are mandated. @:-)

I wish people would actually read my posts. I never said that only American should go back to MRTC - I proposed that ALL airlines be required to have a minimum seat pitch.

If we require all airlines to do certain things because of safety and security - well, in 2017, it's time to realize that a minimum amount of space per passenger is a safety and security issue.
Indeed. Even my spritely self has to contort my body carefully to get in and out of a row of economy class seats when assigned to a window or middle seat; and even with an aisle seat, it's much harder now to do so without knocking the seat in front -- and that is when the seats are upright and there is no emergency evacuation order. In an emergency things would be worse now than they used to be a decade ago -- due to the overcrowding of the main cabin. That kind of cramming isn't without consequences even when an emergency is not in play.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by deskover54
But Spirit Airlines is one of the most profitable airlines out there. Companies exist to make money (serving customers or offering good service is simply a means, but not the goal). Your idea probably wouldn't work out too well for the owners of the company, you know...the ones who put up the capital and the employees including the CEO work for.
I'll give Spirit credit for one thing: they are incredibly transparent about what they are. You can't buy a ticket from them and *not* know what you're getting yourself into. They don't promise to treat one group of people like "elites" and everybody else like crap. It's clear on their website: this is going to equally suck for everyone, unless you buy the Big Front Seat.

I fly Spirit about twice a year. Last year was two $16 flights and two $40 flights, total all-in fare+fees, plus $20-30 per segment for BFS. They are what they are...I have no problem with them continuing to offer that product, because they are extremely clear about what it is. (Their main product, which I have no desire to experience, is a 28" seat.)

The issue with the legacies is that people are paying ever-increasing fares on many routes and getting less than what they once did. Add in the fact that the legacy marketing materials continue to focus on having a great experience, and stratifying people into "elite" classes, and it's easy to see why people are frustrated and disappointed in a way they aren't with LCCs.

Even Southwest, which is no longer an LCC and no longer provides what I'd consider "great" customer service, soft-plays the elite stratification and seeks to deliver a fairly consistent experience to everyone. They seem to be regarded a little more positively than others, even though I now think of them as every bit as much a part of the broader U.S. airline cartel as the legacy 3.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by reamworks
We need to address the elephant in the room here. There'd be more "room" in coach if passengers weren't so fat. We need to start weighing pax and charging them accordingly.
Elephant in the cabin?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
I'll give Spirit credit for one thing: they are incredibly transparent about what they are. You can't buy a ticket from them and *not* know what you're getting yourself into. They don't promise to treat one group of people like "elites" and everybody else like crap. It's clear on their website: this is going to equally suck for everyone, unless you buy the Big Front Seat.

I fly Spirit about twice a year. Last year was two $16 flights and two $40 flights, total all-in fare+fees, plus $20-30 per segment for BFS. They are what they are...I have no problem with them continuing to offer that product, because they are extremely clear about what it is. (Their main product, which I have no desire to experience, is a 28" seat.)

The issue with the legacies is that people are paying ever-increasing fares on many routes and getting less than what they once did. Add in the fact that the legacy marketing materials continue to focus on having a great experience, and stratifying people into "elite" classes, and it's easy to see why people are frustrated and disappointed in a way they aren't with LCCs.

Even Southwest, which is no longer an LCC and no longer provides what I'd consider "great" customer service, soft-plays the elite stratification and seeks to deliver a fairly consistent experience to everyone. They seem to be regarded a little more positively than others, even though I now think of them as every bit as much a part of the broader U.S. airline cartel as the legacy 3.
They do soft play with elites. About the only thing I get is guaranteed boarding in the first 15 numbers. I don't fly enough with them to earn the annual buddy pass, and even if I did, it wouldn't be much use as I rarely fly with anyone else. That said, clean(er) planes, happy FA's, and a pleasant experience gives them a leg up.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:50 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
An AA flight attendant friend saw this message posted on Facebook (in a closed group) and forwarded it to me:
Someone had her on another flight. She was remembered for her drama on this flight as well. Again she ripped the tags off the stroller to bring it aboard. The fa intervened and told her it wasn't allowed. She started to escalate demanding to bring the stroller. The FA gave in to her - flight wasn't full and there was space in the overhead. By giving in, a situation was defused. Unfortunately on her next flight she tried the same <crude euphemism for bovine manure> and this FA did not give in to her causing her to get hysterical.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
The regulators (and to some degree the consuming public) have failed on the space per person situation
Old Apr 24, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Originally Posted by TWA884
An AA flight attendant friend saw this message posted on Facebook (in a closed group) and forwarded it to me:

This should go into a wiki for the Thread!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.