Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Baby Stroller Incident on AA591 SFO>DFW April 21st

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baby Stroller Incident on AA591 SFO>DFW April 21st

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by wolf72
Understand. A general rule that all strollers must be deposited either upon check in or at the aircraft door and they are then sent down to the cargo section of the aircraft would appear to be more logical. No strollers in the cabin.
Why? You're saying that they should make a rule that anything that fits in the sizer is allowed on board as the passenger's carry-on item unless it happens to be a stroller. That makes no sense, IMO.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by josmul123
Is this Spirit Airlines? It's not clear from the video.
Appears to be a Delta flight, maybe an Embraer 170 or 175.

Kudos to the LEOs for their calm demeanor.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
There is no evidence that more legroom or an extra FA would have made a difference in this incident or the United incident.
Sigh. Misses the point entirely.

I posit that there is ample evidence that more legroom and extra staff would reduce overall stress levels for all the humans involved - passengers and FAs - and therefore would result in fewer incidents of these types.

It's my opinion; but all you have to do is go back to the 90s when there WAS a better FA to pax ratio - and more bathrooms - and better seat pitch - and wider seats on widebodies - and fewer of these types of incidents. Correlation to be sure, but I think there's definitely some cause-and-effect here.

If you don't like my ideas on what should be done...what are yours?
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:39 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
Originally Posted by josmul123
Is this Spirit Airlines? It's not clear from the video.
Ha! Delta Connection from SAT
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:44 pm

Location: KEWR / SPG Plat, HH Diamond, DL Plat, ZE 5*, AA Plat, UA Nobody
Corner a wild animal in a corner and it will lash out. The airlines have done this increasingly over the years.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Sigh. Misses the point entirely.

I posit that there is ample evidence that more legroom and extra staff would reduce overall stress levels for all the humans involved - passengers and FAs - and therefore would result in fewer incidents of these types.

It's my opinion; but all you have to do is go back to the 90s when there WAS a better FA to pax ratio - and more bathrooms - and better seat pitch - and wider seats on widebodies - and fewer of these types of incidents. Correlation to be sure, but I think there's definitely some cause-and-effect here.

If you don't like my ideas on what should be done...what are yours?
And pay triple the price
Old Apr 23, 2017, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by able
There is no FA base in SFO. The CA can't "kick a flight attendant off" He/she can only ask that he be replaced and if there is not one available the only thing the pilot could do would be to refuse to work the flight, thereby cancelling said flight.

What should he have done to "take charge"? He touched the flight attendant which is enough to get him in serious trouble at American. He has responsibility but very little real authority while still at the gate.

I am not sure they did. If this woman was equally responsible for instigating this mess rewarding her will lead to more of this.

Wait, it's already started;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ocial-facebook
This is the problem with the world siding with Dr Dao. What reason does the woman have to leave the plane peacefully? Resist LEOs and hope they fight/drag/beat you and become rich.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 11:19 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Remember when AA added additional legroom to every row in coach? I believe it was called MRTC (More Room Throughout Coach). As it did involve removing some rows of seats to provide that extra legroom, they expected to be able to command a higher price to cover the loss of revenue. It didn't happen. Customers would not pay extra to fly on AA for that extra legroom, so AA removed it in most rows and left a few rows at the front of the plane for elite passengers.

Do you think customers are willing to pay a premium to fly AA if they add all that extra legroom back in? I don't see it happening.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 11:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by deskover54
This is the problem with the world siding with Dr Dao. What reason does the woman have to leave the plane peacefully? Resist LEOs and hope they fight/drag/beat you and become rich.
Just to be clear, you're saying that you personally would resist LEOs and let yourself get beaten up in the hope of getting rich?
Old Apr 23, 2017, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by rjw242
Just to be clear, you're saying that you personally would resist LEOs and let yourself get beaten up in the hope of getting rich?
I'm saying I think other people will follow that example. We've now seen one person try that already.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:01 am

Programs: UA GS, WN A-List, AA Exec Plat, National Emerald
Originally Posted by tom911
Remember when AA added additional legroom to every row in coach? I believe it was called MRTC (More Room Throughout Coach). .
We need to address the elephant in the room here. There'd be more "room" in coach if passengers weren't so fat. We need to start weighing pax and charging them accordingly.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:04 am

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
Originally Posted by reamworks
We need to address the elephant in the room here. There'd be more "room" in coach if passengers weren't so fat. We need to start weighing pax and charging them accordingly.
And this thread reaches a new low.

Just... No.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:00 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by tom911
Remember when AA added additional legroom to every row in coach? I believe it was called MRTC (More Room Throughout Coach). As it did involve removing some rows of seats to provide that extra legroom, they expected to be able to command a higher price to cover the loss of revenue. It didn't happen. Customers would not pay extra to fly on AA for that extra legroom, so AA removed it in most rows and left a few rows at the front of the plane for elite passengers.

Do you think customers are willing to pay a premium to fly AA if they add all that extra legroom back in? I don't see it happening.
The point is not about whether or not MRTC would make the airline more money -- it didn't. The point is that a more comfortable flying environment, as indicated by DenverBrian, would lead to less stressed out passengers and crews. There is something to that, even as it wouldn't mean the elimination of all the conflicts and aggressive personalities encountered in the course of traveling by air. But a reduction in the stress passengers and airline employees encounter may lead to a reduced chance of the kind of conflicts witnessed on this stroller incident video.

There is plenty of indication that increased crowding and more cramped spaces increase anxiety levels -- and that is no good in the main unless you desire increased chances of conflict.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 24, 2017 at 2:06 am
Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Unlike in the past, now is the perfect time to implement MRTC. Back then, the other airlines didn't suck nearly as hard as they do now. There is no airline that offers more legroom to everyone (except WN, and I think MRTC is a little better, plus WN has that stupid open seating). So what if you lose the lowest-end tickets to Spirit or Frontier or Allegiant? They barely pay for the fuel.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Unlike in the past, now is the perfect time to implement MRTC. Back then, the other airlines didn't suck nearly as hard as they do now. There is no airline that offers more legroom to everyone (except WN, and I think MRTC is a little better, plus WN has that stupid open seating). So what if you lose the lowest-end tickets to Spirit or Frontier or Allegiant? They barely pay for the fuel.
But Spirit Airlines is one of the most profitable airlines out there. Companies exist to make money (serving customers or offering good service is simply a means, but not the goal). Your idea probably wouldn't work out too well for the owners of the company, you know...the ones who put up the capital and the employees including the CEO work for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.