Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Baby Stroller Incident on AA591 SFO>DFW April 21st

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baby Stroller Incident on AA591 SFO>DFW April 21st

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2017, 8:46 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by spainflyer
And just where are the Chicago Airport Police (a.k.a. mall cops) that were “suspended” (with pay) for the Dr. Dao incident? Back at work, I presume.
They're on paid, administrative leave still. The aviation commissioner there said she needs 3 weeks from the date of the incident to complete her investigation. Might hear something in the next week or so about their future.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 8:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by FWAAA
The anonymous passenger witness who posted the lengthy account on Facebook (as well as numerous other places) loses some credibility points when they say "I am disappointed American has chosen to punish him."

AA has removed the flight attendant while it investigates. The witness has no information that AA "has chosen to punish him." Oops. The witness's willingness to embellish their narration with facts not in evidence tarnishes their testimony.

Additionally, we don't know exactly why AA has removed the FA from duty. Might be for the FA's interaction with the female passenger or it might be for the aggressive behaviour toward the male passenger in first class.
I don't think that many people would class being suspended as being a form of praise - if someone has been suspended, it seems reasonable to infer that that person has been penalised

Not only that , but the company has chosen to make it public what it has done
Old Apr 22, 2017, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by able
Another first hand account via FaceBook;
Interesting but I don't see how this person had the omniscient vantage point they claim from the seat they claim and it contradicts several other accounts like the jalopnik article that actually names sources.
http://jalopnik.com/american-airlines-employee-allegedly-hit-woman-with-str-1794552514
Olivia Morgan was standing in the doorway of the aircraft with her 8-year-old daughter waiting to board when the altercation happened.

“The flight attendant wrestled the stroller away from the woman, who was sobbing, holding one baby with the second baby in a car seat on the ground next to her,” she said.

Morgan said the flight attendant was “violent” when taking the metal stroller from the woman and nearly hit the baby with the stroller.

“He stormed by me with the stroller and I said something like, ‘What are you doing? You almost hit that baby!’ And he yelled at me to ‘stay out of it!’ just like he does in the video,” she said.

Morgan said she talked to the woman about the incident. The woman said a female flight attendant told her she could look for space to store the stroller because it folds up very small, but if there was no available space, she would need to check it at the gate.

“She was looking for space when the male attendant tried to take it away from her… and she said she told him the other attendant had told her it was okay to look,” she said.

Last edited by trajanc; Apr 22, 2017 at 9:04 pm
Old Apr 22, 2017, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I don't think that many people would class being suspended as being a form of praise - if someone has been suspended, it seems reasonable to infer that that person has been penalised
Has AA said anywhere that the employee is suspended? All the reports I've read have said "removed from duty", which may be paid leave so you're available to supervisors, investigators or lawyers. Suspend the employee and I'm not sure they'd make themselves readily available for interviews if they're not being paid.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
Has AA said anywhere that the employee is suspended? All the reports I've read have said "removed from duty", which may be paid leave so you're available to supervisors, investigators or lawyers. Suspend the employee and I'm not sure they'd make themselves readily available for interviews if they're not being paid.
There is no contractual provision for a paid suspension. If he's been suspended it is extremely unlikely he is getting paid.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA GS, WN A-List, AA Exec Plat, National Emerald
Originally Posted by FWAAA
APFA releases a statement via twitter:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C-C2Vo1UwAAC5Lu.jpg
Very good response. You can't not stand up for staff who are threatened by passengers and "blackmailed" by crying women.

Women and men should be treated exactly the same. No special treatment for women who know how to cry on cue.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 9:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

One example is news article at http://www.smh.com.au/world/american...22-gvqh2f.html states "and suspended a flight attendant after a video "

a search on Google for "aa attendant suspended" shows multiple other outlets staing suspended

Either AA has suspended the member of staff or has stated/implied to reporters that the person has been suspended
Old Apr 22, 2017, 9:29 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
I don't believe this account, because

1) the physical altercation happened in the very front of the airplane, so the first class passenger had a better view of what actually happened than this person claiming to have sat across from the lady with the stroller;

2) it contradicts several other claims from eyewitnesses who actually posted their name and/or ticket

3) the FA's extremely aggressive behavior in the video shown contradicts the claims that the FA was calm and polite.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Either AA has suspended the member of staff or has stated/implied to reporters that the person has been suspended
Even the New York Times had a headline about the employee being suspended, but once you read the article you won't find a quote from anyone at AA using the word "suspended". The AA press release I saw on the ABC News site doesn't use the word suspended at all, and it appears to be the same press release that the New York Times took quotes from. Hopefully AA gets out another press release that says "suspended" if that is what they mean to say and want it sourced back to them.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:14 pm
Suspended

Even the New York Times had a headline about the employee being suspended, but once you read the article you won't find a quote from anyone at AA using the word "suspended". The AA press release I saw on the ABC News site doesn't use the word suspended at all, and it appears to be the same press release that the New York Times took quotes from. Hopefully AA gets out another press release that says "suspended" if that is what they mean to say and want it sourced back to them.
You can be sure after FNC and UA that AA management are not going to get their underwear soiled -- they will discipline the employee to the limits they are contractually allowed. The agent/FA in blue should not be in a customer contact position. Kudos to AA for at least understanding they need to create a perception they care about customers.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:15 pm

Wow. That witness makes the pax look like a drama queen. I hope the male passenger is now charged for making threats towards the male FA.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/49/46504
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by reamworks
Very good response. You can't not stand up for staff who are threatened by passengers and "blackmailed" by crying women.

Women and men should be treated exactly the same. No special treatment for women who know how to cry on cue.
And who wield babies like tactical nukes to get what they want.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:21 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by Klimo
nice assumption.

They make strollers designed for overhead compartments. Can't comment if she had one or not.
-------
Not likely. She had two small children with her, looked like twins.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by Fanjet
Yes. The woman did not want to check it planeside. And which is how it is suppose to be. You leave it by the plane door, and when you land, they bring it back up for you to pick up.
No matter how many people post this, it's still wrong.

Others above have posted quotes from AA's CoC, feel free to refer to it if you really believe strollers are not allowed onboard.

From personal experience, I can say they are allowed onboard AA flights if they fold up small enough. It's the same argument many have with car seats; I can't tell you how many times FA's tried to tell me that it had to be checked but as I had a paid ticket for the kid, a copy of the airline's policy and a carseat with a sticker clearly stating that it was approved for use on aircraft, they never succeeded in making me check it.

The biggest flaw with the "you must comply with all orders" argument is that too many FA's and GA's make up their own rules which are contrary to the airline's published rules.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by MDJennings
Wow. That witness makes the pax look like a drama queen. I hope the male passenger is now charged for making threats towards the male FA.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/49/46504
It's an anonymous account that contradicts several accounts by people willing to put their name on their statements. Consider me skeptical.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.