Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Baby Stroller Incident on AA591 SFO>DFW April 21st

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baby Stroller Incident on AA591 SFO>DFW April 21st

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2017, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA GS, WN A-List, AA Exec Plat, National Emerald
Originally Posted by trajanc
? If the fa had hit say your spouse like this fa allegedly hit the woman how would you react?
That man was not that woman's spouse. And the claim was someone "grabbed the stroller" not that anyone hit her.

That really could be a misunderstanding. Perhaps the stroller-grabber assumed that the woman was looking to deposit it for gate check and the FA or gate agent wanted to quickly pull it out of the way before it blocked the entrance for everyone else. It just doesn't make sense that an employee intentionally hit her out of the blue! (Would that be your first thought even if a FA or GA's hand struck you as he was reaching for something? Or would you think it was an accident?)

It looks like the woman misunderstood this and had a Public Meltdown.

Originally Posted by Wexflyer
According to BBC, AA has suspended employee, and apologized to passenger for unacceptable treatment. What do the chorus think of that?
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39677296
We've just taught this woman--and a swath of the flying public--that Public Meltdowns and crying is a strategy that apparently works well if you want to bring your oversided strollers on planes. Now she'll keep doing it.

Last edited by reamworks; Apr 22, 2017 at 5:03 pm
Old Apr 22, 2017, 5:00 pm

Programs: United: 1K
Originally Posted by TGarza
I didn't realize this mother was the very first mother to have carry on items gate checked. I have been on a few flights which had involuntary gate check when the bins were full.

The male crew member should have been removed because he escalated the situation with the male passenger. I wouldn't have objected if both were removed from the flight.
The demand to gate check wasn't based on the bins being full.

But you are correct that she is not the first mother to be wrongly told she can't take a conforming stroller onboard a plane. But she may be the last mother wrongly told that on AA.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by reamworks
That man was not that woman's spouse. And the claim was someone "grabbed the stroller" not that anyone hit her.

That really could be a misunderstanding. Perhaps the stroller-grabber assumed that the woman was looking to deposit it for gate check and the FA or gate agent wanted to quickly pull it out of the way before it blocked the entrance for everyone else.

We've just taught this woman--and a swath of the flying public--that Public Meltdowns and crying is a strategy that apparently works well if you want to bring your oversided strollers on planes. Now she'll keep doing it.
I know he was not the spouse. Which is why I said 'say.' And you did not answer my question.

Reading this thread and news accounts now the allegation is the fa hit her which appears to be corroborated by the growing wound on her head in the video.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 5:07 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

That really could be a misunderstanding. Perhaps the stroller-grabber assumed that the woman was looking to deposit it for gate check and the FA or gate agent wanted to quickly pull it out of the way before it blocked the entrance for everyone else. It just doesn't make sense that an employee intentionally hit her out of the blue! (Would that be your first thought even if a FA or GA's hand struck you as he was reaching for something? Or would you think it was an accident?)

It looks like the woman was actually hit by something.

Being physically hurt should or shouldn't result in a public meltdown? The serious and disturbing public meltdown on this flight seems to have been by the AA FA itching for a fight with punches and saying as much.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 5:09 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Agreed, and now Ma and Pa Kettle will be filming everything, posting it on Facebook and demanding all sorts of stuff from airlines even when the airlines do nothing wrong. (Different from the current situation.)

I've been a very frequent flyer for nearly 20 years and have only rarely seen rudeness by on-board personnel, and nothing like in the recent United/AA incidents.

The woman passenger in this situation is more of a baby than her baby. The guy passenger who jumped up is awesome, though.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 5:13 pm

Can we commend the female flight attendant? She did more than both the pilot and raging male FA combined.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 5:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA PP
AA is making a Big Mistake if they don't make a statement about the horrific behavior of that man who wanted to be a "White Night" and jump up to "defend" a woman, where he didn't know the story. That woman was out of control and trying to manipulate the situation by having a public meltdown. The video shows the "White Knight" clearly threatened the Flight Attendant first.

While that AA Employee certainly needs to re-take the course on "Verbal De-escalation", AA should also indicate that they stand behind employees who are physically threatened by pax.

Exactly right. I don't know how comfortable I'd be on that flight if I had to sit next to a man who just threatened a crew member or flight attendant.

(For the record, I was strongly on the side of Dr. Dao on that UA case. I'm not one of these "The Airlines Are Never Wrong" people.)
Let me bang you in the head with a metal object while you are already stressed trying to travel alone with two infants in a country where you have limited language skills, and we'll see how composed you stay.

The passenger was standing up for a person who had been assaulted by an employee of the airline flight crew--something the Captain should have been on top of.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by NYCommuter
Agreed, and now Ma and Pa Kettle will be filming everything, posting it on Facebook and demanding all sorts of stuff from airlines even when the airlines do nothing wrong. (Different from the current situation.)

I've been a very frequent flyer for nearly 20 years and have only rarely seen rudeness by on-board personnel, and nothing like in the recent United/AA incidents.

The woman passenger in this situation is more of a baby than her baby. The guy passenger who jumped up is awesome, though.
I'm getting the impression that some people posting here are either trolling or somehow ignoring a key fact here; one way or another the woman just got a serious whack on her head. It's obvious. It would be bizarre if she was not crying.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA PP
According to BBC, AA has suspended employee, and apologized to passenger for unacceptable treatment. What do the chorus think of that?
I'm glad they did, rather than blame everyone including the bagger at the grocery store 10 miles away rather than admitting their own inadequacies as a company and as a result losing hundreds of millions of dollars in the process.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The FA suspension and the AA apology to the passenger have been discussed throughout this thread. The suspension and apology aren't brand new news.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 5:22 pm

I watched the video. The FA should be fired. The Captain needs to take his finger out of his
A** and take control
Old Apr 22, 2017, 5:23 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by trajanc
I'm getting the impression that some people posting here are either trolling or somehow ignoring a key fact here; one way or another the woman just got a serious whack on her head. It's obvious. It would be bizarre if she was not crying.
I'm aware of that. I wouldn't be crying, and please read the full description of the incident, including before she was hit. She sounds nutty.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
And the claim was someone "grabbed the stroller" not that anyone hit her.
Whose claim?

Perhaps the stroller-grabber assumed that the woman was looking to deposit it for gate check and the FA or gate agent wanted to quickly pull it out of the way before it blocked the entrance for everyone else.
Perhaps David Dao also "fell", as the Chicago PD statement said.

It just doesn't make sense that an employee intentionally hit her out of the blue! (Would that be your first thought even if a FA or GA's hand struck you as he was reaching for something? Or would you think it was an accident?)
No, that wouldn't be my first thought. However there are plenty of people on this planet who are jerks, on a power trip, even violent. Some of them are bound to be somebody's employees. In many years of frequent travel, I've encountered a few extra special flight attendants, ticking time bombs waiting for just the right circumstances to push them over the line. The FA's immediate reaction to the passenger in row 2 is instructive.

I don't at all think that's the lesson many people are walking away with.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by richarddd
Think this through. Airline A just sits there (because some pax will be obstinate), delaying and cancelling flights. Airline B negotiates and has a much better on time record. Which airline are more people likely to choose?
Simple: The one with the cheapest ticket!

(There is an old joke about 3 females applying for the same job. But I digress.)
Old Apr 22, 2017, 5:36 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.