Wikipost is Locked  
Old Apr 25, 2017, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Ground Staff May Deny Boarding for China Transit Without Visa Issues

This thread is ONLY for discussion of American Airlines' ground staff dealing with Chinese TWOV issues.
For further information, see:

FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China Forum

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

and / or

China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread

The issue: though Chinese immigration authorities seem disposed to allow transit without visa for passengers going on to flights with connections in non-China, non-origin destinations, e.g. LAX-PVG <permitted TWOV> PVG-NRT-LAX, AA ground staff have denied boarding to passengers for the XXX-China leg.

Even if such a passenger were to secure alternate arrangements or reimbursement, there is still sure to be considerable inconvenience. Until AA informs ground staff such travel complies with China TWOV rules, purchasing such an itinerary currently entails some degree of risk, as evidenced in the following thread.

AA generally uses IATA Timatic to verify boarding eligibility. Link to Timatic Web provided courtesy of United Airlines; this form provides information on entry requirements, not departure policies as might be administered by any airline.

Print Wikipost

144 TWOV China- AA Issues/Questions

Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
When it comes to permitting travel to the country, the airline is required to ensure that the passenger meets the documented terms for admission to that country - allow an ineligible person to travel and the airline get penalised

Timatic is the system that is set up with visa requirements and with PVG as a destination ( which is seems clear that it would have been , just based on fares) , how else would you expect an airline to check eligibilty other than as PVG as a destination?

Whether , beyond meeting eligibility to travel to China, an immigration offivcer would allow/deny entry is irrelevent
In this forum there are plenty of examples of AA agents allowing boarding with itineraries similar to the OPs. We have multiple examples of people on this forum successfully flying an itinerary similar to the OP's.

On your side of the argument we have one rogue AA agent and zero examples of people being denied entry into China -- oh and your own flawed interpretation of the rules.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by sukn
Actually China has the last word on the matter, not Timatic.

Again, please provide examples since you're so sure.
This is where you are entirely wrong. TIMATIC is a database maintained by IATA as a service to its members, including AA. It happens to be available to the public through a number of channels.

AA's sole interest in checking documents is to protect itself from transporting someone determined by PRC authorities to be improperly documented. AA is subject to substantial fines and the prospect of returning the individual to the US and having to chase the individual for the cost.

Carriers are often much more conservative than border authorities. What "usually" happens is irrelevant. The question is what the words say.

In this instance, the immediate alarm bell goes off when OP uses the term "layover". There is no such term. He is either connecting at NRT or stopping over. In this case he is connecting and thus he holds a ticket USA-PRC-USA with a connection at NRT. AA properly interprets that as a simple round-trip.

He could have purchased a ticket which included a stop-over at NRT, but that was more expensive, as he learned.

Might AA refund OP his $2K? Possibly as a customer service matter.
Will AA retrain its agents? No. This is a risk management issue and agents are trained to be conservative.
Will China clarify that a connection is good enough? No.

What could OP have done? When traveling with family half-way around the world, this one was simple. Get a visa.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

When it comes to permitting travel to the country, the airline is required to ensure that the passenger meets the documented terms for admission to that country - allow an ineligible person to travel and the airline get penalised
On the flip side, the airline is expected to ensure that passengers who meet the documented terms for admission to the country are permitted to travel.

Timatic is the system that is set up with visa requirements and with PVG as a destination ( which is seems clear that it would have been , just based on fares) , how else would you expect an airline to check eligibilty other than as PVG as a destination?
It is necessary for TIMATIC users to input China as the transit country in order to bring up clauses relevant to visa free transit. The OP seemingly instructed the agents about this common sense step, but they either ignored him or were grossly incompetent wrt reading comprehension.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by Often1

Will AA retrain its agents? No. This is a risk management issue and agents are trained to be conservative.
I wouldn't phrase it as a "connection" because that concept isn't especially common in China, but if you asked them if flying in from LAX and flying out to TYO within 144 hours is okay, they would definitely say "yes".
Old Apr 18, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
This is where you are entirely wrong. TIMATIC is a database maintained by IATA as a service to its members, including AA. It happens to be available to the public through a number of channels.

AA's sole interest in checking documents is to protect itself from transporting someone determined by PRC authorities to be improperly documented. AA is subject to substantial fines and the prospect of returning the individual to the US and having to chase the individual for the cost.

Carriers are often much more conservative than border authorities. What "usually" happens is irrelevant. The question is what the words say.

In this instance, the immediate alarm bell goes off when OP uses the term "layover". There is no such term. He is either connecting at NRT or stopping over. In this case he is connecting and thus he holds a ticket USA-PRC-USA with a connection at NRT. AA properly interprets that as a simple round-trip.

He could have purchased a ticket which included a stop-over at NRT, but that was more expensive, as he learned.

What could OP have done? When traveling with family half-way around the world, this one was simple. Get a visa.
This has all been covered earlier in this thread so no point in rehashing. EXP phone agents, AA gate agents, immigration officers all have interpreted timatic differently than this particular AA agent.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA, CX, AS, DL / Hilton, SPG
AA agents seem to have trouble with a lot lately. I have a 10 year Chinese visa and took a friend with me on a trip last year, he's was originating in PHL (connecting via ORD to PEK) and the ex-US agents tried for over an hour to deny him boarding because his flight to a third country was not on a Oneworld carrier—and yes he had proof with an e-ticket number of onward travel. The agent actually tried to laughably show my friend a page in German (which she couldn't read) to prove her point. Luckily a friend at ops put me in touch with the station manager who set the agent straight in a few minutes.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
LOL.... I thought this died last night when I went to bed...

What if NRT is my destination?

I really like the candy at NRT airport at the lower level were BA gates are. I always buy several boxes from there. I don't know why, but they don't sell it anywhere else at the airport (I've checked rigorously several times). I do MRs where all I do is go to airports and buy exotic stuff for family and friends. My main goal is to get to NRT airport and get this candy. Oh, China offers TWOV? I've wanted to go see xyz and haven't, I'll transit through China for 36 hours TWOV on my way to NRT airport.

You might laugh, but I have done MRs where I go to CGK through NRT. On a long NRT layover I visit my friend in Japan while doing nothing at CGK.

Here's what I think happened with TWOV and China:

China: How do we get tourist money from tourists going to BKK, SIN, TYO, etc?
Businesses: Let's have a free transit visa TWOV.

China: TWOV implemented.
Businesses: People using TWOV have not been "transiting" through China
China: Do we make money?
Businesses: Yes.
China: Awesome!

Businesses: Should we change the wording?
China: Too much work, leave it as is. Border patrol agents know what to do.

No documentation of anybody ever being denied TWOV by doing a "transit" through China. This has been going on for years, China knows people are doing this and are probably happy people are doing it otherwise they would have put a stop to it.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond

Whether , beyond meeting eligibility to travel to China, an immigration offivcer would allow/deny entry is irrelevant ; if the airline has ensured that the passenger met the documented requirements to allow travel to the country, it is not then liable if person is refused entry
To be fair, Timatic does more than just validates the destination, it also validates the transit points. If this says no visa is required, then what is AA using to deny travelers the flights? Did the agent not enter the connecting point?
Old Apr 18, 2017, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by nutwpinut
L
No documentation of anybody ever being denied TWOV by doing a "transit" through China. This has been going on for years, China knows people are doing this and are probably happy people are doing it otherwise they would have put a stop to it.
Yeah I'm pretty sure Beijing sanctions the usage of this "loophole."

What I don't get is how does the supervisor not know about these borderline cases.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight
To be fair, Timatic does more than just validates the destination, it also validates the transit points. If this says no visa is required, then what is AA using to deny travelers the flights? Did the agent not enter the connecting point?
The agent presumably entered China as the destination. The correct way (in the OP's case) is to enter Japan as the destination and China as the transit point.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight
It does. For a journey to NRT with transit of PVG, then timatic shows the visa waiver. Where PVG is the destination, it shows that a visa is required

On a r/t to PVG where travel on the inbound has a transit in NRT, which of the 2 methods would seem to be the valid entry to use to determine eligibility?

If China wanted general tourist visa free travel, it could simply change to having a 144 hour visa waiver for tourists and issue would go away.

Even if the Govt. of China sanctions this use ( as suggested above ) , cannot expect airlines to do anything other than what the official rules state , surely?
Old Apr 18, 2017, 7:17 pm

On a r/t to PVG where travel on the inbound has a transit in NRT, which of the 2 methods would seem to be the valid entry to use to determine eligibility?
You're confusing the issue by attempting to frame this in the context of a "round trip". If you fly from Japan to China, Japan counts as country #1 . Country #3 needs to be different from Japan in order to qualify for visa free transit.

If China wanted general tourist visa free travel, it could simply change to having a 144 hour visa waiver for tourists and issue would go away.
Many of us still like to have visas so we can come and go as we please, stay longer than x number of hours, travel to different parts of China, etc. The government also benefits in the form of visa fee revenues and better tracking into our whereabouts.

Even if the Govt. of China sanctions this use ( as suggested above ) , cannot expect airlines to do anything other than what the official rules state , surely?
What do you mean by "sanctioning use"? It's their policy, and they encourage compliant travelers to avail of it.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 7:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by moondog
The agent presumably entered China as the destination. The correct way (in the OP's case) is to enter Japan as the destination and China as the transit point.
Not for AA which is an IATA carrier entering data into TIMATIC which is an IATA database and presumes that carrier employees are trained to enter search parameters based on common ticketing terms.

The agent would have been trained to enter the destination as China. Japan would only be the destination with China as the transit point if OP was ticketed US-CHINA (connection <24 hours) - JAPAN.

Other agents, certain that China would not refuse admission based on the lack of a visa would let this slide, but this does not make the agent in this case wrong.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 7:58 pm

Not for AA which is an IATA carrier entering data into TIMATIC which is an IATA database and presumes that carrier employees are trained to enter search parameters based on common ticketing terms.
I would hope that those "training" sessions also include elements of: 1) common sense; 2) listening to customer direction/requests.

In the case of a passenger who states the intention of availing of the visa free transit policy, it is quite obvious that information about the policy can only be accessed when China is input as the transit country. Once this page is open, it is also obvious that his itinerary is compliant. This is NOT a gray area case.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by moondog

What do you mean by "sanctioning use"? It's their policy, and they encourage compliant travelers to avail of it.
Not to perpetuate the argument, but you really think the bureaucrats in Beijing wrote that policy to cover this type of situation? Do you have some insider information?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.