Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

beverage policy in coach for "short" flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

beverage policy in coach for "short" flights

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2017, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by TheSkyGuy
If catering makes a mistake, unfortunately there's nothing the FAs can do about it at the time. Hopefully they're reporting these errors via the appropriate channel. There are rumblings about DFW catering being a bit of a mess. I wouldn't be surprised if they're catering these DFW/SAT flights and not realizing they're missing an exception market, but strictly looking at the mileage.
True...if the drinks aren't on the plane, they can't be served! But on all 3 of the flights I mentioned, the carts out in the aisle had (what appeared to be) the full complement of soda. On one of the flights I was served the drink of my choice, the alcohol came from the cart. On the other they retrieved it from FC and the FA specifically mentioned they didn't "bring alcohol on this cart" (whatever that means).
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by scottmlew
True...if the drinks aren't on the plane, they can't be served! But on all 3 of the flights I mentioned, the carts out in the aisle had (what appeared to be) the full complement of soda. On one of the flights I was served the drink of my choice, the alcohol came from the cart. On the other they retrieved it from FC and the FA specifically mentioned they didn't "bring alcohol on this cart" (whatever that means).
Code for we drank it all. /s
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Thanks for posting the policy. I am sure that the issue is the Exception markets list is getting forgotten by the FAs, I agree that the best course of action is for the passenger to remind the FA that it is an Exception market.

Interestingly, there are a few PHX oriented flights that fit the lower buckets too, but are not exceptions.

Rasheed
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Here's the irony....on AUS-DFW (190 miles) on a mainline aircraft, the FAs have done a full drink service on the times I have taken it (granted, it's been a few years). For over 100 pax on board.

But on LGA/JFK-DCA (over 200 miles), on Eagle (45 pax), about 50% of the time, the FA says "there is not enough time for me to serve you safely on this flight." And then she sits in the jumpseat on her iPad the rest of the flight.

Huh???

I'm on LGA - DCA flight tomorrow (so far still economy since upgrade didnt clear) and DCA - JFK on returning flight on Wednesday evening (got upgraded to F). I will see what kind of service it will be.

I flew LAS - PHX last year (~250 miles) and there was food & drink service on such a short flight.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Interesting thread. On FAT - LAX with SkyWest back in the day (I think CRJ-200 aircraft, so single FA) it would generally be a full beverage service if the FA was suitably motivated, otherwise just water. When it switched to Compass (so Embraer, and two FAs) it was full beverage service in First and nothing at all in coach.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
DFW/OKC and DFW/AUS is a common route for me. Majority of the time it is juice/water only, sometimes full service, and occasionally none.

Thanks to the person above that posted the facts.
Diver Boy likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Well well well, the "exception" markets out of DFW are every single destination that Southwest serves out of DAL under 250 miles (plus IAH).

DFW-AUS 190 miles
DFW-SAT 247 miles
DFW-IAH 224 miles
DFW-HOU 247 miles
DFW-TUL 237 miles
DFW-OKC 175 miles

Here are all the other destinations from DFW that were Wright Amendment-restricted from DAL: (no need for an exception as they are >=250 miles)

DFW-MSY 447 miles
DFW-MAF 309 miles
DFW-LBB 282 miles
DFW-AMA 312 miles
DFW-ELP 551 miles
DFW-HRL 461 miles
DFW-ABQ 569 miles
DFW-LIT 304 miles

Southwest always does a drink service. If the flight is short, they'll take drink orders before take-off so it can be completed. AA has flip-flopped on beverage service on short flights for years.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Well well well, the "exception" markets out of DFW are every single destination that Southwest serves out of DAL under 250 miles (plus IAH).
Old Apr 17, 2017, 7:02 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by TheSkyGuy
There are rumblings about DFW catering being a bit of a mess. I wouldn't be surprised if they're catering these DFW/SAT flights and not realizing they're missing an exception market, but strictly looking at the mileage.
I spoke with a caterer a while back, and I guess AA contracted out many of the bases, including DFW, to LSG and have been messing it up royally. Now they're in talks of expanding the contract to more hubs, while LSG is still messing everything up.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Glad to see the facts. The full beverage service seems to be variable on ex-DFW flights to IAH and AUS. When the forward FA serves F, I've almost always gotten two drinks. When service is conducted from the cart, there is usually only time for one.

As for the "Arrival Beverage Service," I really don't think I've seen that offered in Y outside of transcons and international flights.

Originally Posted by PhillipTaylor
I spoke with a caterer a while back, and I guess AA contracted out many of the bases, including DFW, to LSG and have been messing it up royally. Now they're in talks of expanding the contract to more hubs, while LSG is still messing everything up.
Outsourcing: worse service for worse prices.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
"Policy change" AKA laziness.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by enviroian
"Policy change" AKA laziness.
What really gets me is"turbulence." It can be a clear day with no turbulence forecasts, and service get suspended for the duration of the flight due to "turbulence."

I understand that crew safety is important and service does have to be suspended, but I'm willing to bet that it has been falsely invoked as an excuse on some of these short routes. I'm also willing to bet that it happens more often than one would think.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 6:21 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
About three years ago I lived at Houston and flew IAH-DFW on M80 so frequently. I remember in Main Cabin morning flights had prepackaged orange juice or water, where afternoon and evening flights had full beverage cart service. First class always had full beverage service.

It was more of exception not having drink service in Main Cabin that I can remember. I was EXP back then and remember flying IAH-DFW in Main Cabin FA insisted of getting me free booze due to my status.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 7:19 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
On BOS-JFK (on the 738) I have seen the FC FA serve FC from the cart and keep going back into coach while the YC FA's start from the back of coach and they go until they meet somewhere in the middle. Then FC pax get another round on the FC FA's way back up to the galley. Simple and effective.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 7:21 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by brewdog11
What really gets me is"turbulence." It can be a clear day with no turbulence forecasts, and service get suspended for the duration of the flight due to "turbulence."

I understand that crew safety is important and service does have to be suspended, but I'm willing to bet that it has been falsely invoked as an excuse on some of these short routes. I'm also willing to bet that it happens more often than one would think.
The more frustrating item with this, is when they say this, but they still serve first class while ignoring economy. Unless they invented a plane where the first class cabin is free from turbulence when the economy cabin isn't, it's 100% BS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.