Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Comparison of AA and BA business class long haul (merged)

Old Aug 9, 2016, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: 2,894,211 AA miles and counting

I recently flew LAX to LHR on American in business and then back three weeks later, also in business, on BA. So I had a chance to compare both products on similar routes at about the same time. I flown both airlines in business "across the pond" many times so I thought I would take a few minutes compare their products today.

Seats:
American was the clear winner. Their new business-class seats onto 777–300 ER are much better arranged in the angled pod plan. Everyone has direct access to the aisle, the seats are quite large and comfortable, and there's lots of storage around you for little things. Half the BA seats require you to step over the aisle side seat to come and go, a very serious disadvantage. The BA seats (A380 upper deck) have almost no place to leave things like a book, an iPod, a bottle of water, or whatever while you are seated. The seat is not as comfortable because it is split about three quarters of the way down in the last two or 3 feet are a separate section.
The arrangement of the airplanes, i.e. where business-class was how the seats related to potentially noisy kitchens and the availability of bathrooms, were about the same.

Entertainment:
The American entertainment system is newer and seems to have somewhat greater choices. The BA system is okay but not as modern and, in my personal opinion, didn't have as many choices of interest to me. Others may find the choices on the BA option better but not be. Overall, American a slight winner.

Food and drink:
I rather preferred America's food to BA’s, but not a big difference. On the other hand, I thought the wine, particularly the champagne, on BA were slightly better than American. Overall a tie.

Crew and service:
This is the hardest comparison to make, since it can be dominated by a single person, on a single flight, on a single day. I have flown enough to know that some days you get good crew and some days you don't. On these particular flights, on these particular days I would give a slight advantage to American. The crew seemed friendlier and more interested in a service. The BA crew was not bad at service was competent but not quite as good. A slight aadvantage, to American that day,

On the other hand, both flights involved changing planes at LHR AARRGH, I hate Heathrow. In the 21st century is still uses a bus, a bus, to get from one terminal to the other. At border control there was one officer for arrivals from the entire planet, outside of the UK and the EU. One agent! So, it took forever and I nearly missed my connection! And finally, my luggage didn't show up in Edinburgh. Even though it came on the next flight that's still a pain. I'm planning a trip to Europe for next summer and will use Swiss just so I can change in Zürich instead of LHR.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Yup. Quite shocking really that AA went with such a superior hard product in the Cirrus. BA CW has to be the worst "business class" in existence. How anyone pays for that is beyond me.

Plus, BA turned the screws even further by removing protections for thru-pax and now not even checking bags on BA-BA separate tickets. I hope I never have to set foot on a BA plane again.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 7:59 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by no1cub17
Yup. Quite shocking really that AA went with such a superior hard product in the Cirrus. BA CW has to be the worst "business class" in existence. How anyone pays for that is beyond me.

Plus, BA turned the screws even further by removing protections for thru-pax and now not even checking bags on BA-BA separate tickets. I hope I never have to set foot on a BA plane again.
Have to agree on the BA business product, I dont they have changed the design in many many years, having to step over someone to leave your seat, leaves a lot to be desire, lack of personal storage around the seat,
and although I can sleep on the plane, the seat itself.. well I think you get the picture
Old Aug 10, 2016, 8:49 am

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
BA has had some great business class sales over the past few years. I was able to book ORD-ITALY-ORD for this April for $1700 - $400 (AARP) - $762 (avios co-pay). For $550ish I was pleasantly surprised. I had upped deck eastbound and was able to get a good night sleep. The pre-flight meal at O'hare was actually really tasty and allowed me to skip the meal on the flight and go to sleep quicker.

On the daytime flight home my companion and i had lower deck middle seats, which i actually really like with someone I know (would HATE it if I didn't know the person). The seats are decent for lounging.

BA business is a great value if you can get it onsale. That said, if I was on a work trip or paying >$2,000 BA would probably be last on my list.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by fotographer
Have to agree on the BA business product, I dont they have changed the design in many many years, having to step over someone to leave your seat, leaves a lot to be desire, lack of personal storage around the seat,
and although I can sleep on the plane, the seat itself.. well I think you get the picture
Appears BA will be getting the same new seat/arrangement as the new UA business seat/cabin. Still 8 across, but space for aisle access for window and centre seats. Still feels like a cattle car. Only advantage flying BA biz is having The Glenlivet single malt whiskey.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
BA also has one of the best business class products in existence. They just brand it as FIRST.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 9:54 am

BA's J seat was the best when it was first offered (flat!). Now it is close to the worst (dormitory!)

This has been discussed in many threads, but perhaps it is worth repeating that AA does not offer those reverse herringbone seats on most flights. It has a wide variety of J seat designs, including slantboard seats and neckbreaker seats.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by cmd320
BA also has one of the best business class products in existence. They just brand it as FIRST.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Haha so true!
Old Aug 10, 2016, 12:09 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
The best J in the sky is BA F. The best PEY in the sky is BA J.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 1:12 pm
A4K

Programs: N/A
BA CW has to be the worst "business class" in existence.
I think the United pre-merger business seat would respectfully disagree.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Question

BA CW has to be the worst "business class" in existence.
Surely you are joking? AA's legacy J class, which they still routinely use on flights to Seoul and Tokyo, is way worse than BA's CW. You know, the one that features angled flat seats, 3 across in the middle, no power outlets, no wifi, and the mid-1990s interior that is completely worn out.

I actually like the privacy of CW especially in the window seats. The interiors do need an update though without question.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 2:00 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
This AA related post might not make very comfortable reading for you (assuming it's true of course).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27045107-post815.html
Old Aug 11, 2016, 11:56 am

So, you compare AAs newest aircraft to BAs ageing service?

How about comparing BAs ageing service to AAs 767-200 with no seat back Or individual IFE.

How about comparing BA seats to the older AA seats?
Old Aug 11, 2016, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by AlanA
So, you compare AAs newest aircraft to BAs ageing service?

How about comparing BAs ageing service to AAs 767-200 with no seat back Or individual IFE.

How about comparing BA seats to the older AA seats?
In fairness, the route in question posed by the OP is LAX-LHR which only sees AA 77W service. This is by far the best aircraft in the fleet though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.