Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. master thread

Old Jan 3, 2016, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Note: Live AA baggage tracking became available 15 Sep 2015. Bags are scanned at several points, and using the app you can generally see where your bags are. Not all airports have this capability.

Originally Posted by LPDAL
Bags at hubs are mega scanned or scanned at every point of contact. The first point of scan would most likely be the sorter where the bag is sent to the corresponding belt where the flight is being loaded.

Bags that miss their flights are delivered to the expeditor(s) who handle IROPS bags and send them on their way. Most likely, the bag is sent on the next AA flight. We are able to send bags on various other airlines but sending them on our own metal is always preferable.
Track your bags Link
September 18, 2015:

Hello, Addressee,
AAdvantage <status tier> Number:

You can now follow your checked bags from check-in to carousel with your smartphone, laptop or tablet. See real-time information about your bag's status, including when your bag is checked in, on a plane or at baggage claim. All you need is your bag tag number or your record locator.

And, if your flight has Wi-Fi onboard, you can track your bags in the air for free.

Here's how to get started:
  • Go to aa.com/baggage
  • Click "Track your bags"
  • Enter your last name and bag tag # or record locator

Keep track of your bags from check-in to touchdown using your record locator or bag tag number.
NOTE: On itineraries with more than one airline, the responsible airline for lost or delayed baggage is the final carrier; that carrier's procedures may differ from AA's. In any case, most do require if you arrive at your destination and your baggage has not arrived (or has been damaged), be sure to fill out a baggage claim form prior to leaving the airport

What if I need clothing or toiletries because my baggage is missing?

Link

Reimbursement

We will reimburse you for items you need immediately while away from home without your bags. Within 45 days of your delay, please send us:

Your 13-character file reference number
A copy of your ticket receipt and baggage claim checks
Your original, dated, itemized receipts

Send verification items to:

American Airlines Central Baggage
4000 East Sky Harbor Boulevard
Phoenix, AZ 85034

Fax: 480-693-2305
American Airlines: Delayed Baggage: Baggage delayed less than 5 days
Phone: +1-800-535-5225
24 hours, 7 days a week

Baggage delayed longer than 5 days
See www.aa.com/bagstatus for further information.[/color][color="Navy"]
American Airlines: Delayed or missing baggage:

We do our best to ensure that your checked bag travels on the same flight with you. If your bag does not arrive on your flight, our goal is to return your bag to you within 24 hours. The measures may take longer for international itineraries due to flight frequency or Customs and Immigration procedures.

Note: These procedures apply when American Airlines or American Eagle are taking you to your final destination.

If you are unable to locate your checked bag:

Notify an American Airlines/American Eagle baggage service agent prior to leaving the airport (If you purchased the American Airlines baggage delivery service provided through BAGS VIP Luggage Delivery in advance of travel, notification must be made within 12 hours of the arrival of the flight on which you traveled.)
  • You will be given a confidential file locator ID and a brochure explaining the recovery process
  • Our Baggage Service desk will contact you periodically to keep you informed of our progress in locating your bag (aspirational statement)
  • Refer to your confidential six-letter file locator (not your PNR) in all conversation and correspondence regarding your delayed bag
  • Use your last name and confidential six-letter baggage file locator (not your PNR)to check the status of your bag.Check Baggage Status

If your bag isn't located in five (5) days:
  • Central Baggage Service will take over the tracing effort
  • Fill out and return a Property Questionnaire within 30 days from the date you traveled
  • Available on the 6th day at www.aa.com/bagstatus.
  • Mailed to your permanent address within 10 days of your travel date.
  • Complete the questionnaire in its entirety including specific details such as colors, sizes, brand names and logos as well as information such as book titles, medication, electronics, gifts, souvenirs and food items
  • Retain a copy for your records

If youre unable to submit online, you can send your claim and verification items by mail or fax.

American Airlines Central Baggage
4000 East Sky Harbor Boulevard
Phoenix, AZ 85034
Fax: 480-693-2305

Link
Damaged baggage:

Prompt notification of a damaged bag helps us get your property to you promptly therefore all American Airlines and American Eagle airport locations are equipped to handle the initial report, evaluation and settlement of damage claims. If your bag is damaged, please notify us:
  • In person before leaving the airport
  • At the latest, within 24 hours after you receive your bag for domestic itineraries
  • Within 7 days for international itineraries

Please notify us as soon as possible. Failure to report damage to baggage within the prescribed time limit releases American Airlines and American Eagle from any liability.
Wheels, "protuberances" etc. please see:

Notice regarding damage to wheels, handles, and other components of checked baggage

Baggage_Guidance_rev_11242015.pdf (link)

About this Document

In September 2015, the Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings (Enforcement Office) conducted extensive inspections of U.S. and foreign air carriers operations at 16 U.S. airports. The Enforcement Office found, among other things, that carriers routinely exclude from liability damage to specific parts of checked baggage, such as wheels, straps, zippers, handles, and protruding parts. Carriers often post signs indicating that they categorically refuse to compensate passengers for such items. In some instances, carrier agents also discouraged or refused to accept reports of such damage.
If from an international flight, Article 17 of the Montreal Convention applies; see below. The final operating carrier is responsible for locating and returning, or compensating the checking passenger if not delivered within 21 days.

"The Montreal Convention changes and generally increases the maximum liability of airlines for lost baggage to a fixed amount 1,131 SDR per passenger (the amount in the Warsaw Convention is based on weight of the baggage). It requires airlines to fully compensate travellers the cost of replacement items purchased until the baggage is delivered, to a maximum of 1,131 SDR (XDR currency code, ~$1,652 May 2017). At 21 days any delayed baggage is considered lost, even if the airline delivers it after that period."
The SDR on 28 Aug 2017 was valued at $1.42, so 1,131 SDR was approximately $1,603.00. Use this link to convert SDR to USD.

Link to aa.com Delayed Baggage; FAQ.

Link to aa.com LIABILITY LIMITATIONS regarding baggage - but see

USDOT reminder to airlines compensation is due for damaged wheels, straps, etc.

Link to aa.com DAMAGED BAGGAGE

Link to aa.com Delayed Baggage tracking form (need baggage claim file locator number to use)

American Airlines Conditions of Carriage (See BAGGAGE et seq., including Liability.)

Link to PDF about baggage damage and loss by Christopher Cotter, Attorney at Law.

[QUOTE]Q. I flew internationally. What rules governs baggage damage or loss?

Article 17 of the Montreal Convention:

"2. The carrier liable for damage sustained in case of destruction or loss of, or of damage to, checked baggage upon condition only that the event which caused the destruction, loss or damage took place on board the aircraft or during any period within which the checked baggage was in the charge of the carrier. However, the carrier is not liable if and to the extent that the damage resulted from the inherent defect, quality or vice of the baggage. In the case of unchecked baggage, including personal items, the carrier is liable if the damage resulted from its fault or that of its servants or agents.

3. If the carrier admits the loss of the checked baggage, or if the checked baggage has not arrived at the expiration of twenty-one days after the date on which it ought to have arrived, the passenger is entitled to enforce against the carrier the rights which flow from the contract of carriage.

4. Unless otherwise specified, in this Convention the term "baggage" means both checked baggage and unchecked baggage."

Q. What can I do to help prevent or resolve baggage loss?
  • Don't place valuables in your checked baggage; such loss is generally not covered by airline policy. Some airports have higher pilferage and theft rates.
  • Have two baggage tags, affixed at different points on each bag; handles do get torn off
  • Use a baggage belt: some have TSA-approved locks, and a belt may keep your bag from spilling contents if it becomes damaged. A bright color helps distinguish your bag from similar ones.
  • Add a pom, ribbon or other device enabling you - and others - to distinguish your bag from similar / identical bags.
  • Have identifying information and an itinerary inside your case where it will be seen if the bag is opened (which will occur if external tags are lost).
  • Some use an itinerary tag such as this Magellan's retriever tags.
  • Have a photo or two of your bags on your smartphone to show the baggage clerk exactly what your bag looks like.

Link to posts prior to 2019

Print Wikipost

Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. master thread

Old Jan 2, 2019, 2:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Unhappy AA lost baggage...20 days already but no luck in tracking down

On 13th Dec, due to long security check point delay, I missed my flight AA 2784 from DFW to IAD after checked in both my bags to all the way to KHI (at my final destination). After missed this flight, i went to the AA customer care counter at DFW, to see if i can able to catch the next available flight to IAD, so i can catch my connecting flight of ETIHAD. I was told that next flight is not available until 10 pm, this meant that i had to cancel this itinerary and had to purchased a fresh new ticket. As i was booking my new ticket over the phone, i asked AA rep (Maira) about my luggage and Maria told me that she did the pull request of my luggage from flight AA 2784 and i should pick up my luggage at baggage office in IAD. I request that if AA can send me both of my bags back to DFW, so i can travel in the next day or two as i have to attend conferences in KHI, but she refused it and insisted me to book my next flight from IAD. I paid $596 extra to booked my flight to IAD so i can travel with my luggage. I took the next flight to IAD at 10 pm same day and when i went to baggage office in IAD, staff was very rude and refused to help me tracking down my luggage. They said they never received any pull request and told me that i should received my luggages in Karachi (as it said on the boarding). I even called the baggage hotline of AA and they are blaming Etihad. On the other end Etihad is refusing to file the claim as they are saying that i did not travel with them, so they cannot file a claim for me. Now i am back in the US, and i still don't have my luggages yet. Kindly help me as i am frustrated with calling every day to central baggage claim office and no one their to help me.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Daughters bag didnt get on our SFO-ORD flight on 12/22/18. They delivered it to our hotel in Milwaukee the following day. I sent an email complaint suggesting some compensation. AA sent a nice note offering 7,500 miles x 3 (also my account and my wifes). Nice gesture and fair resolution.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:25 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP Lifetime Platinum, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
I very foolishly left my laptop in the side pocket on a 787 in first.

I have filed a report but no word. Is there anything else I can do?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerB777
On 13th Dec, due to long security check point delay, I missed my flight AA 2784 from DFW to IAD after checked in both my bags to all the way to KHI (at my final destination). After missed this flight, i went to the AA customer care counter at DFW, to see if i can able to catch the next available flight to IAD, so i can catch my connecting flight of ETIHAD. I was told that next flight is not available until 10 pm, this meant that i had to cancel this itinerary and had to purchased a fresh new ticket. As i was booking my new ticket over the phone, i asked AA rep (Maira) about my luggage and Maria told me that she did the pull request of my luggage from flight AA 2784 and i should pick up my luggage at baggage office in IAD. I request that if AA can send me both of my bags back to DFW, so i can travel in the next day or two as i have to attend conferences in KHI, but she refused it and insisted me to book my next flight from IAD. I paid $596 extra to booked my flight to IAD so i can travel with my luggage. I took the next flight to IAD at 10 pm same day and when i went to baggage office in IAD, staff was very rude and refused to help me tracking down my luggage. They said they never received any pull request and told me that i should received my luggages in Karachi (as it said on the boarding). I even called the baggage hotline of AA and they are blaming Etihad. On the other end Etihad is refusing to file the claim as they are saying that i did not travel with them, so they cannot file a claim for me. Now i am back in the US, and i still don't have my luggages yet. Kindly help me as i am frustrated with calling every day to central baggage claim office and no one their to help me.
Where does AA say your bag is? Are they claiming they gave it to Etihad? If so, ask them to provide documentation of this.
Then, you can provide Etihad with that documentation
Old Jan 9, 2019, 2:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by flyerB777
Your post is confusing. If you did not fly with EY, then how did you get to KHI? If you did fly with KHI, why is EY saying you did not fly with it? May I also presume that this was all on one ticket DFW-IAD-XXX-KHI?

Not to be critical, but the exact details matter here.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Compensation for delayed bag from DFW (it missed my flight during a two hour connection MEX-DFW-SEA, was delivered to me at home 12 hours later, entirely intact): 5,000 miles.
enpremiere likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Spyder
I very foolishly left my laptop in the side pocket on a 787 in first.

I have filed a report but no word. Is there anything else I can do?
What a bummer -- sorry to hear. I would also have been so "foolish". I would have considered it a very low risk of theft in that situation. You had the misfortune of encountering a very brazen and opportunistic thief.

I don't suppose this is an iMac or another laptop with a "Find my _____" feature? If so, it might be reporting its current location.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by dhuey
. You had the misfortune of encountering a very brazen and opportunistic thief.
Thief?

He left the laptop, it hasnt been found (yet). Where is the thief?
Old Jan 27, 2019, 7:57 pm

Programs: CO Silver-SPG Gold
What percent of compensation did you receive for delayed baggage?

I see a ton of posts on people providing stories of delayed bags but not posts that provide closure? If your bags were delayed more then 72 hours during a vacation, what percent of the "Reasonable" receipts did AA reimburse you for? We spent 4 days in Aspen with no bags, all items needed had to be purchased. AA told us up to $3400 of reasonable expenses. Just want to make sure I am prepared for their rejection of our bills.... $165 was the cheapest pair of ski gloves available!!
Old Jan 27, 2019, 8:06 pm

Location: Live: PWM/KBXM/BGR; Work: DCA/DFW/Everywhere; Play: LAS/MUC/MLE
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, mlife Noir, LEYE Gold
This is something they'll probably actually do right. Aspen for 4 days, 2 passengers, a large expenditure makes sense. I would expect full reimbursement, I've gotten in on the two or three occasions I've needed it.

did you actually spend $3400? Seems like a lot if so... I'm sure they wouldn't cover new skis (you could rent), boots, etc, but clothing, goggles etc makes sense. I'd have a hard time justifying more than 1k per pax
Old Jan 27, 2019, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Bags missing for 3 weeks, not delivered du rol I was home, after 2 week Europe vacation. Submitted receipts for $1,200 of clothes plus money for a new bag and several instances of dry cleaning. Waited and waited but once I called to inquire, total money I had spent was transferred to my bank account promptly. Super stressful but usually he'll make it right of you're reasonable with your replacements.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FAA1996
Bags missing for 3 weeks, not delivered du rol I was home, after 2 week Europe vacation. Submitted receipts for $1,200 of clothes plus money for a new bag and several instances of dry cleaning. Waited and waited but once I called to inquire, total money I had spent was transferred to my bank account promptly. Super stressful but usually he'll make it right of you're reasonable with your replacements.
Would you have had dry cleaning expenses if they had not lost your bags?
Old Jan 27, 2019, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nycbaggirl
I see a ton of posts on people providing stories of delayed bags but not posts that provide closure? If your bags were delayed more then 72 hours during a vacation, what percent of the "Reasonable" receipts did AA reimburse you for? We spent 4 days in Aspen with no bags, all items needed had to be purchased. AA told us up to $3400 of reasonable expenses. Just want to make sure I am prepared for their rejection of our bills.... $165 was the cheapest pair of ski gloves available!!
How much did you claim? Are you requesting payment for new ski poles, skis, boots, etc?
Is there some reason you don't think they will pay at 100 percent?
Were the bags found before the end of the trip?
The law allows up to $3300 per domestic passenger for lost, damaged,, or delayed bags.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:34 am

Programs: AA Gold
Dealing with a very frustrating issue right now...

I was on AA503 from PHX-DFW on Sunday afternoon. Somehow, my bag did not manage to make it on the aircraft despite me checking it in 58 mins before departure. Oh well, no big deal, itll come on a later flight. Upon landing at DFW, I have an email in inbox saying that my baggage would be delayed, setup claim, delivery, etc.

My bag ends up coming into DFW on AA1744 at ~9:30P.M. Cool, Ill have it by morning at the latest... Not so fast, the bag is scanned as unloaded from the plane at 9:36, scanned at Baggage Claim A29 at 9:43... After that, nobody knows where it went.

It either 1) fell off the belt from the ramp to the carousel 2) got stolen off the carousel or 3) something else.

Being impatient as I am, I drive over to claim A29 at DFW tonight.. We go through the closets adjacent to baggage claim... Nothing there. I then suggest we call security to take a look at the cameras for evidence of theft. They come, look at the cameras, etc. No sign of theft (though some angles are/were obstructed). Anyhow, I file a police report with the DFW Airport police. I then call the baggage number and say that I have a police report filed. They immediately direct my claim to the central office (which isnt supposed to happen till 5 days) and I should receive a call in the morning. Hopefully the squeaky wheel gets the grease on this one, otherwise Im looking forward to a fat check from AA. Luckily nothing overly valuable besides some expensive clothes (but nothing too expensive).

Sorry if that came across as a continuous train of thought.. Im fried!!
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:31 am

Airlines lost my checked bag going MSY-MIA-HEL-LED

I think the leg was Republic Airlines MSY-MIA, even though it had an ID "AA". Then it was Finnair for the other legs. Landing in MIA was done at what looked to be an out of the way part of the terminal (the walkway corridor was technically outside) that the pilot said was a "last minute change". So I get to LED, and the bag wasn't there (02-13). After some digging, the agent said it didn't seem to be recorded even in MIA! So I talked to American Airlines "baggage department", and I got an agent who said that the bag got conveyed to Finnair (of course, the agent in St. Petersburg said that had not happened). I am stuck only being able to call a USA 800 number via Skype (I mistakenly had my internet telephone dongle in the checked bag).

EDIT: OK, it looks like Finnair has a USA 800 number, so I'll continue there.

EDIT: Finnair has no record of physically taking delivery of the bag. So someone is not being accurate. I'm going to talk to someone in Executive Action at AA to get the bottom of this.

EDIT: I sent this E-mail:

TO: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

Excuse me if this E-mail message has gone to the wrong staff members at American Airlines, but I do not know the proper contact for my concern.

I recently traveled with American Airlines (and its partners) under the confirmation code ****** from MSY to LED, with American Airlines being the airline that accepted my checked-in bag, tag AA****** @ MSY. American Airlines customer service claims that the bag was scanned @ MIA, but the representatives said that they have not been empowered to describe what this means by being "scanned"; one representative seemed to say that this means that the bag had been delivered to the American Airlines partner, Finnair; However, Finnair customer service has no record of a scan @ MIA; thus, there seems to be a direct contradiction about the facts pertinent to this case. I would like to get further information about what the status that American Airlines is claiming had happened, so that this contradiction can be rectified. I would also like to get information about what is the standard operating procedure for getting the bag, if found, to its final destination; I don't know if it is going via Finnair once it gets found, or if other airlines will get involved (I didn't get a clear answer from Finnair, and of course, American Airlines customer service was horrific in answering my questions).

Last edited by swampwiz; Feb 15, 2019 at 8:08 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.