Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Upgrading just part of the people on a reservation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2017, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

I need some help with a question I've never encountered.

If we have a reservation from JFK-LHR for 6 people (1 platinum member, so free MCE seats for everyone), can we put in an upgrade request for only the platinum member and one other flyer?

And if we get the upgrade request do the other flyers have any issues with having free MCE seats on the outbound or return?

In a conversation with the Platinum desk I was a little confused. They said they would break the record into two parts, those on the upgrade list and those not. It was unclear if they wanted to break the record just to put some on the list or only if an upgrade occurred, and if this would affect the MCE seats of the other flyers. Before I call back to clarify (since I know from reading this board that agents do not always give the correct answers), can anyone shed light on this situation?

EDIT: The upgrade I am talking about is 25,000 miles and $350 fee.

Last edited by EQDsSUCK; Feb 23, 2017 at 9:37 pm Reason: Clarity
Old Feb 23, 2017, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK
I need some help with a question I've never encountered.

If we have a reservation from JFK-LHR for 6 people (1 platinum member, so free MCE seats for everyone), can we put in an upgrade request for only the platinum member and one other flyer?

And if we get the upgrade request do the other flyers have any issues with having free MCE seats on the outbound or return?

In a conversation with the Platinum desk I was a little confused. They said they would break the record into two parts, those on the upgrade list and those not. It was unclear if they wanted to break the record just to put some on the list or only if an upgrade occurred, and if this would affect the MCE seats of the other flyers. Before I call back to clarify (since I know from reading this board that agents do not always give the correct answers), can anyone shed light on this situation?
What upgrades are you referring to? SWUs? Sure, no problem, even if the record has to be split - your guests can still keep MCE seats.
But if you're thinking 500 mile upgrades, those can't be used on TATL flights.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 9:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

if you are looking to upgrade using miles, then can choose to upgrade just 2 of them. These will be split out from the other reservation

Once upgraded, the remaining passengers will no longer be entitled to those seats, so although I do not think that AA's system will automatically remove the passengers, but if it does, there is nothing to complain about

If looking to upgrade using 500 mile upgrades, these can not be used on this route

They will also no longer benefit from any additional checked baggage allowances that may apply
Old Feb 23, 2017, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
if you are looking to upgrade using miles, then can choose to upgrade just 2 of them. These will be split out from the other reservation

Once upgraded, the remaining passengers will no longer be entitled to those seats, so although I do not think that AA's system will automatically remove the passengers, but if it does, there is nothing to complain about

If looking to upgrade using 500 mile upgrades, these can not be used on this route

They will also no longer benefit from any additional checked baggage allowances that may apply
I am referring to using 25,000 mile upgrades.

So, if two of six flyers (including the one platinum) are confirmed as an upgrade, those two will be given a new PNR, and the other flyers will keep the original PNR? If the other flyers already have MCE seats with ways, then AA could kick them out but likely will not.

However, the other four flyers would no longer have a Platinum member on their PNR, so upon check in they would be required to pay for their bag? Although I guess the two upgraded flyers could take at least one additional bag each with the 2 bag max for them.

Also, the platinum member could upgrade two of the other flyers (not himself), so that the platinum status stayed with the group of four. And then he could still take the upgraded seat on the plane (not in his name) and send the other flyer back to coach.

So for the return flight, whichever two flyers got upgraded would be on a different PNR? Thus no priority check in/boarding, no free bags, and no premium security for whichever group of two or four doesn't contain the Plat member. I guess it would be best to keep the Plat member with the group of four so that each of them get two bags free.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 10:02 pm

Also, the platinum member could upgrade two of the other flyers (not himself), so that the platinum status stayed with the group of four. And then he could still take the upgraded seat on the plane (not in his name) and send the other flyer back to coach.
Not sure what you mean by this. When upgrading using miles anyone can upgrade anyone

So for the return flight, whichever two flyers got upgraded would be on a different PNR? Thus no priority check in/boarding, no free bags, and no premium security for whichever group of two or four doesn't contain the Plat member. I guess it would be best to keep the Plat member with the group of four so that each of them get two bags free.
The main thing would depend on who wants to travel business class as who is best to upgrade
Old Feb 23, 2017, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

Not sure what you mean by this. When upgrading using miles anyone can upgrade anyone

The main thing would depend on who wants to travel business class as who is best to upgrade
I didn't explain this very well.

If the Plat member is one of the two to get upgraded to J then the other four flyers lose any benefits of flying with a Plat member.

But if two non-Plat flyers get upgraded, then they have benefits because they are in business, and the other 4 get benefits because one of the 4 is a Plat member. (However, the plat member with a coach ticket could still use one of the biz seats and send the upgraded flyer in his party back to coach.)
Old Feb 23, 2017, 11:59 pm

If the Plat member is one of the two to get upgraded to J then the other four flyers lose any benefits of flying with a Plat member.

But if two non-Plat flyers get upgraded, then they have benefits because they are in business, and the other 4 get benefits because one of the 4 is a Plat member. (However, the plat member with a coach ticket could still use one of the biz seats and send the upgraded flyer in his party back to coach.)
I wouldn't rely on being able to swap passengers on the transatlantic flight and , if I was wanting to be in business class, would make sure that I was the one with a business class boarding pass
Old Feb 24, 2017, 9:24 am

they wont lose mce seats
Old Feb 24, 2017, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I wouldn't rely on being able to swap passengers on the transatlantic flight and , if I was wanting to be in business class, would make sure that I was the one with a business class boarding pass
Probably not an issue unless they start moving back and forth.
One person simply staying in the business cabin isn't going to be noticeable, especially if they are of the same sex as the person on the BP.

On the MCE seats. If nothing happens, they should be ok, but sometimes even for a like for like plane swap, seats can be reassigned. Unless there is a PLT on the remaining reservation, the other pax have no claim to MCE
Old Feb 24, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: AA EXP
Wouldn't AA split the PNR when the upgrades are requested, not confirmed?
Old Feb 24, 2017, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by mvoight
Probably not an issue unless they start moving back and forth.
One person simply staying in the business cabin isn't going to be noticeable, especially if they are of the same sex as the person on the BP.

On the MCE seats. If nothing happens, they should be ok, but sometimes even for a like for like plane swap, seats can be reassigned. Unless there is a PLT on the remaining reservation, the other pax have no claim to MCE
That's not true. You don't have to be on the same reservation to get MCE seats, just call in and give the names of the people you're traveling with, they will confirm you are both on the same flight, and then they can be reassigned seats if need be, and that would only happen due to a plane swap.

I've done this a couple times, where family members have joined me for a trip on a couple segments. My brother and his fiancee are flying DTW-ORD each on their own reservation (that got split due to using transportation voucher), and I'm on another reservation on the same flight, 0 issue getting them seats next to me.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by BThumme
That's not true. You don't have to be on the same reservation to get MCE seats, just call in and give the names of the people you're traveling with, they will confirm you are both on the same flight, and then they can be reassigned seats if need be, and that would only happen due to a plane swap.

I've done this a couple times, where family members have joined me for a trip on a couple segments. My brother and his fiancee are flying DTW-ORD each on their own reservation (that got split due to using transportation voucher), and I'm on another reservation on the same flight, 0 issue getting them seats next to me.
That is not the same as being in different cabins and trying to get them seats in the MCE section whilst the member with status is sat in business class
Old Feb 24, 2017, 8:41 pm

That is not the same as being in different cabins and trying to get them seats in the MCE section whilst the member with status is sat in business class
How is that different? If you are AA Plat or higher, you and your companions, same PNR or not, are allowed to get MCE seats. I'm not aware of any rule or policy that says you have to be traveling in Y as well.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 9:28 pm

How is that different? If you are AA Plat or higher, you and your companions, same PNR or not, are allowed to get MCE seats. I'm not aware of any rule or policy that says you have to be traveling in Y as well.
You may not be aware of it, but that is the rule. You must be in the same cabin. In practice, the companions will not lose their seat assignments unless there are IRROPS or an aircraft change.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 11:39 pm

If they are not in the same cabin then they are no longer companions. The benefit is to enable the platinum member to have the non status member(s) sit with him. if the platinum member is no longer in the economy cabin, then there is no longer a reason for them to be allowed to sit there

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.