Wiki Posts
Search

Lack of craft beer/good coffee on AA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2017, 10:41 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Beer in cans or bottles due to pasteurization issues will not be as good as draught beer. In ACs they could serve draught but not likely on a plane.
I liked Lowenbrau, but you can't easily find it in the USA anymore.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 10:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by aisleorwindow
I would kill for one decent beer option. Just one.

When Dos Equis is the best thing on the menu, you know you are in a bad situation.

Stay thirsty, mis amigos.
Haha. I don't drink coffee so I really care on that front but, seriously, I'd shut up and drink bud lights if they were (A) first served before the aircraft door is closed, (B) served cold af, (C) poured in the glass vs. handing me a NASTY can, (D) the EXP line would recognize me calling from my cell phone so I don't have to argue with a computer about my FF#, and (E) REFILLED ON THE DOUBLE.

Also, hand crafted sandwiches served on freshly baked artisan breads would be nice, too, enviroian!!
Old Feb 20, 2017, 11:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by JonNYC
"craft beer" is a marketing scam anyway.
I guess you should change the wording to micro brew.

And people keep talking about coffee in flight, but all I'm getting on AA is warm brown water. Tastes nothing like coffee.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 12:16 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
AA lacks with coffee. Perhaps that Fort Worth Texas "think" has hit corporate. Get it together, UA and DL offer a better coffee product. Much better.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 5:14 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nrr
Beer in cans or bottles due to pasteurization issues will not be as good as draught beer. In ACs they could serve draught but not likely on a plane.
I liked Lowenbrau, but you can't easily find it in the USA anymore.
Well, one can try..

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...heineken-beer/
Old Feb 21, 2017, 6:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Originally Posted by JonNYC
"craft beer" is a marketing scam anyway.
Blasphemy!
Old Feb 21, 2017, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Sam may not be "interesting", but it's drinkable and a huge upgrade from the Miller Lite or Bud Light options we used to have. Southwest started offering Leinenkugel seasonals a couple of years ago, maybe AA could do the same with Sam seasonals?

But my main beer wish for AA at the moment would be to see Sam or something similar available as a complimentary option in domestic Admirals Clubs.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Blumie
To clarify: my recommendation of Starbucks VIA packs isn't because I find Starbucks to be particularly good coffee. But it is much better than so much else of what's out there, and WAY better than anything you'll ever get served on a U.S. airliner (even if they're serving coffee made with beans supplied by Starbucks).
Marketing exclusivity rules out Starbucks in any form on an airline other than DL. However, I do carry a couple of those VIA packs when I travel to bump up the quality of the usual hotel room offerings. As I don't generally drink coffee in flight (prefer a more cleansing tea, as bad as that can be on US airlines!) it's not a major concern, though if I did, I'd likely adopt the same solution as I apply to the mediocre Dewars White Label we Scotch drinkers must endure on AA. In that case, I try to visit an Amex Centurion lounge where I will order up a very peaty Bruichladdich single malt that I then pour into a small bottle. Once the Dewars (light on the ice) arrives inflight, I surreptitiously pour in a bit of the "real thing" to make my own blend. With coffee, I'd enhance it with a half-packet of VIA.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax

Woodford was a nice step up, but they do really need a single malt in the scotch department. Dewar's White is hardly worth drinking - and I'd certainly never pay for it.
Originally Posted by Shareholder
As I don't generally drink coffee in flight (prefer a more cleansing tea, as bad as that can be on US airlines!) it's not a major concern, though if I did, I'd likely adopt the same solution as I apply to the mediocre Dewars White Label we Scotch drinkers must endure on AA. In that case, I try to visit an Amex Centurion lounge where I will order up a very peaty Bruichladdich single malt that I then pour into a small bottle. Once the Dewars (light on the ice) arrives inflight, I surreptitiously pour in a bit of the "real thing" to make my own blend. ...
You 2 are aware that AA serves Glenlivet 12, as well, right?

Edit: Unless of course you're both referring to purchased drinks in Y. I don't believe AA offers it for purchase. (Which is a shame.)
Old Feb 21, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: AA EXP
The secret to good coffee is easy. Always add a shot of Baileys Irish Cream.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Originally Posted by ORD-DCA Flyer
Horizon gets true craft beer on its flights in 22oz bottles, but it's really the catch of the day and AA wants to offer consistency. I'd love to see a surprise beer per flight or route but the logistics of that would be nuts.
I love that on the 30-minute PDX-SEA hop on Horizon. The Fremont Brewing Company Interurban IPA is very nice.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Totally random but I wish there was bitter lemon on board.

I always steal several from the AC in LHR to drink on the flight.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax
AA should be ashamed of its current coffee offering. This is the same crAAp that UA served under Smisek, and they've moved on to Illy for over a year! The ACs now have La Colombe (which is great) - why haven't they brought that to the fleet?! Stupid.

Woodford was a nice step up, but they do really need a single malt in the scotch department. Dewar's White is hardly worth drinking - and I'd certainly never pay for it.

(And not to get too o/t, but the main cabin BOB options are by far the worst of the legacy 3.)
Hey now! I very much look forward to my Dewars White Label on my Shuttle flights home; hopefully two mini-s

That said, I really do enjoy Illy Coffee and heck, even Jetblue has Dunkin. AA's beverage selection is certainly the worst. The wines are undrinkable and the beers, well Dos Equis, Heineken, Sam... not exactly 'Going for Great' here.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 12:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Gold Status, Delta Platinum AMEX, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, SPG Preferred
Originally Posted by Blumie
The best reason to take Amtrak's Acela train between Boston, NYC and Washington: Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA for $8 in the cafe car.

For coffee, Starucks' VIA instant coffee is better than anything you'll get on UA or DL. Just ask for a cup of hot water and mix it yourself. (I use the Italian roast and mix it with 6-8 oz of water.)
Dang. I wish that 90 Minute IPA would be picked up by one of the US carriers!

I flew AA last week and they had Dos Equis. Not craft, but still OK. I purchased white wine and it was flat out horrible. AA seems to be the least concerned about offering fun beer. However don't they have a pretty extensive hard liquor selection compared to the other US carriers?

I think DL is the only airline these days that makes an effort to still play around with craft beer offerings. For a time in 2015 they had Stone IPA on short hauls but recently haven't seen it around. I also like the Wente Gluten Free wine offerings.

AA coffee I don't really have a problem with. As much as I like DL, the coffee they serve tastes like plastic.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Hey now! I very much look forward to my Dewars White Label on my Shuttle flights home; hopefully two mini-s
I like Dewars too. It does a great job cleaning the rust off my car's undercarriage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.