Wiki Posts
Search

Gave up ticket, can I still get miles?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2017, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Gave up ticket, can I still get miles?

I recently gave up a purchased ticket because of family/personal problems and had to buy a new ticket. The originally ticket would have cost too much to change.

It seems that the airline really got a free ride from me, although I'm not complaining about that here since the reason to change my itinerary was from my side.

My question is:

Can I request miles for the ticket that I paid for but couldn't use?
Old Feb 19, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ChaseTheMiles
Nope. Only flown tickets earn miles.

Or to be pedantic, you might be able to request, but the chances of getting the miles are zero. No different than it's ever been.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ChaseTheMiles
I recently gave up a purchased ticket because of family/personal problems and had to buy a new ticket. The originally ticket would have cost too much to change.

It seems that the airline really got a free ride from me, although I'm not complaining about that here since the reason to change my itinerary was from my side.

My question is:

Did you purchase the original ticket with a credit card that offers trip-cancellation insurance? If so, then depending on the exact nature of the "problems" that caused you to cancel the trip, you might be entitled to reimbursement of the cost of the original ticket.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Was the flight canceled or any significant delays by any chance? If so you may be able to claim trip in vain and get the miles.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WiscAZ
Was the flight canceled or any significant delays by any chance? If so you may be able to claim trip in vain and get the miles.
"Trip in vain" is used for getting a refund, not miles. Pretty much zero chance of getting any miles if you take a refund.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ
"Trip in vain" is used for getting a refund, not miles. Pretty much zero chance of getting any miles if you take a refund.
I've had two trip in vains and both times was able to get the miles. I did not get a refund but asked specifically for the miles instead of the refund. Based on OPs question it seems this is what he's looking for.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I've had two trip in vains and both times was able to get the miles. I did not get a refund but asked specifically for the miles instead of the refund. Based on OPs question it seems this is what he's looking for.
However he cancelled it. Not possible to. Laid trip on vain at this point. It's one more reason to just leave the reservation intact and hope for something to happen to qualify for a refund.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
However he cancelled it. Not possible to. Laid trip on vain at this point. It's one more reason to just leave the reservation intact and hope for something to happen to qualify for a refund.
OP says "gave up a purchased ticket". Unless I'm missing something no proof that he did anything other than not fly. This if there were a significant delay or cancelation OP could claim trip in vain. If flight proceeded as scheduled OP cannot get the miles.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
OP says "gave up a purchased ticket". Unless I'm missing something no proof that he did anything other than not fly. This if there were a significant delay or cancelation OP could claim trip in vain. If flight proceeded as scheduled OP cannot get the miles.
Gave up ticket to me means cancelled ticket.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Gave up ticket to me means cancelled ticket.
I've "given up" tickets before without cancelling. Just don't get on the flight. So there's no way of knowing what OP meant until (s)he returns.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Okay, but "trip in vain" generally means you are asking for a refund. But, as you yourself noted above, if the flight leaves on time there is no "trip in vain" claim to be made. "trip in vain" only applies if there is some airline caused delay which would cause one to miss an important meeting or other event and hence "trip in vain".
Old Feb 19, 2017, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ
Okay, but "trip in vain" generally means you are asking for a refund. But, as you yourself noted above, if the flight leaves on time there is no "trip in vain" claim to be made. "trip in vain" only applies if there is some airline caused delay which would cause one to miss an important meeting or other event and hence "trip in vain".
100% agree. I suspect when I contacted AA and said I didn't want a refund just wanted the miles hey and not issue making and adjustment
Old Feb 19, 2017, 4:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I guess we need to hear from OP as to what exactly happened. What does he mean by "gave up a ticket?" Did he call AA and cancel? Did he simply do nothing? Did the flight go out roughly as scheduled?

On the other side, even if he can't get credit, it always does pay to be sure you don't have coverage through a CC, work, or some policy for the cancellation. But, need some facts.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 4:56 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; AA EXP; UA 1K
As far as I know, there's no way of getting flight miles from AA without stepping onto a plane.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
Just to add my own experience from last July, my regional flight was cancelled and they put us in a van to CLT. I made my connection in time so no complaint, but I did not get miles OR even a segment credit for that portion when requested.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.