Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Hey guize, for some reason AA is WIDE OPEN for award on 1/7/18

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2017, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite

There's a crazy amount of award space open (well, OK, crazy for AA ). I saw it on PVG, HKG, NRT and LHR. I would assume it is elsewhere too. Only 1/7/18 at the moment, maybe more will show up?

I snagged HKG-LAX in AA F, which I'm happy with because a) less than CX F b) same lounge access as CX F, plus c) can probably stack some other flights on a stopover.

Yeah, there's no caviar, but I'll live.

Oopsie, meant to post in the AS forum and put a link in the AA "award availability is miserable" thread (I was using AS miles and searching on alaskaair.com, but I DID see these flights on aa.com too when I double taked seeing this). My bad. Hope y'all can make use of this, though.
Attached Images   
Old Feb 12, 2017, 12:34 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Doesn't HKG-LAX cost the same?

Edit: You'll actually get caviar on AA F HKG-LAX too
Old Feb 12, 2017, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Doesn't HKG-LAX cost the same?
Not with AS miles it doesn't. CX F is 70k AS, I was charged 62.5k AS on AS for AA F for HKG-LAX (mileage prices you guys can only dream of these days). I may add LAX-SEA on AA in F and be eligible for the TBIT OW F lounge too (which would NOT be the case for CX on an AS ticket- can't mix OW partners on AS awards and a CX over water/AS domestic segment ticket won't qualify you for OW premium lounge access on domestic segments).

I was having problems booking them (AS tends to have issues booking at the far end of the calendar) and tried again tonight, and snagged the all-important overwater segment. Since I get free changes as an MVPG AS elite I can optimize to my heart's content, but this is very, very nice and I might not trade AA F for CX F (JL F...maaaaaaybe, but the extra stop, dunno). Yeah, Krug and better service, maybe better booze/food in the air, but WiFi + way better lounge at LAX....

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
You'll actually get caviar on AA F HKG-LAX too
Good to know. I guess I won't get Krug on AA in F but oh well, LPGS would be fine. #firstworldproblems

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Feb 12, 2017 at 1:06 am
Old Feb 12, 2017, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

I was having problems booking them (AS tends to have issues booking at the far end of the calendar) and tried again tonight, and snagged the all-important overwater segment. Since I get free changes as an MVPG AS elite I can optimize to my heart's content, but this is very, very nice and I might not trade AA F for CX F (JL F...maaaaaaybe, but the extra stop, dunno). Yeah, Krug and better service, maybe better booze/food in the air, but WiFi + way better lounge at LAX....

How do you figure? Flying AA or CX gives you the exact same lounge choices at LAX.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
OMG! There's availabiiity! Stop the presses!
Old Feb 12, 2017, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by enviroian
Especially since the flights only opened for booking at all, a few days ago at most. This isn't like Spring break week in March is showing wide availability.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Especially since the flights only opened for booking at all, a few days ago at most. This isn't like Spring break week in March is showing wide availability.
Pretty impressive. I should jump on it. Obviously a tech glitch
Old Feb 12, 2017, 5:59 am

Programs: AA
Indeed it appears wide open. But I've tried several city pairs and keep getting "The flight you selected is no longer available. Please modify your request."
Old Feb 12, 2017, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Djokison
How do you figure? Flying AA or CX gives you the exact same lounge choices at LAX.
You are assuming this is an AA award, but AS has some special rules like stopovers on one ways. I'd get lounge access under OW policies if I was flying CX+AA, but on this case the special rule hurts; AS does not allow mixed partner redemptions and you get AS and one partner on one award. AS is not a oneworld member, so if I was flying CX overwater/AS domestic, rules say no OW lounge access at LAX. Can't redeem AS miles for a CX/AA award on one ticket...
Old Feb 12, 2017, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enviroian
I know, right?
Old Feb 12, 2017, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by backprop
Indeed it appears wide open. But I've tried several city pairs and keep getting "The flight you selected is no longer available. Please modify your request."
All I can say is I have a ticket number now and my AA record locator works. I would be surprised that AS could book something AA couldn't on AA metal, but who knows.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
All I can say is I have a ticket number now and my AA record locator works. I would be surprised that AS could book something AA couldn't on AA metal, but who knows.
I am on hold with AS right now trying to figure out why it won't let me view my ticketed reservation, although I have a confirmation email w/ticket numbers and also it is viewable on the AA site as ticketed.

My first couple of attempts last night were unsuccessful (a more preferred routing).
Old Feb 12, 2017, 9:49 am

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I'm still waiting for it to be ticketed, but I was able to find (on aa.com) DFW-LAX-NRT-DFW in September!!!

Thank you for this post!

ETA: For 2, in business, milesavers, and NOW TICKETED! WOOT!!!

Last edited by carla568; Feb 12, 2017 at 10:01 am
Old Feb 12, 2017, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I am on hold with AS right now trying to figure out why it won't let me view my ticketed reservation, although I have a confirmation email w/ticket numbers and also it is viewable on the AA site as ticketed.

My first couple of attempts last night were unsuccessful (a more preferred routing).
Yeah, me too, this was my experience as well. I figure the ticket number makes me golden though. When I called the Gold line they said ticketing might have to fix it up, but I was good.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

And it has hit the blogs.

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....ely-wide-open/

Better snap it up, folks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.