Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR connection EI to AA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2017, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

LHR connection EI to AA

Flying from CLT-SNN and back through LHR. Aer Lingus has the flight from SNN-LHR on Saturday and it gives me a 1:55 minute layover before the LHR-CLT leg operated by AA. Do I have enough time to make the connection to CLT or is it a no go from the start? I will be traveling with my wife and 1 year old daughter. The other option is a 5 hour layover, which I really would rather avoid with my daughter.

Also, do we clear customs (or have to go through any secondary security checkpoints) at LHR or just in CLT when we land?

Thanks all.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
You do have time, but most likely you will have to transfer from T2 to T3. Follow the purple line for connecting flights upon arrival and take the shuttle bus that will take you to T3, this should take about 30 minutes or so. You do have to clear security prior to entering T3, but immigration will be upon arrival at CLT. Enjoy your flight.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Are you on a single PNR? If not, I don't think you can check your bags through,
Old Jan 20, 2017, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beachfan
Are you on a single PNR? If not, I don't think you can check your bags through,
we are on a single pnr. I have never flown through LHR, are security lines normally bad at T3 on Saturdays with all of the vacation travelers coming throught on connections?

Thanks all!
Old Jan 20, 2017, 8:24 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Good news and bad news. The good news is that you don't need a shuttle between T3 and T2. Walk down the ramp at arrivals, follow the tunnel toward Heathrow Express and the Tube (Underground), just keep going to T2. It's a 10 minute walk.

The bad bad news is that T3 customs can be an absolute nightmare. If you arrive early in the morning with all the international flights coming in from the States it can be an hour in line. On a bad day much longer. Plan on at least 45 minutes. You've got almost 2 hours, though, so you should be fine.

Sorry, you said arriving in T2 then going to T3. Customs is much faster in T2 & T5. You can still walk over to T3, just exit from baggage claim and walk towards the parking garage elevators, there's an escalator down to the tunnel to T3. Security is usually pretty good these days, you should be through in 20 minutes or less if things go well.

Last edited by birddogmax; Jan 20, 2017 at 8:30 pm
Old Jan 20, 2017, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by birddogmax
Sorry, you said arriving in T2 then going to T3. Customs is much faster in T2 & T5. You can still walk over to T3, just exit from baggage claim and walk towards the parking garage elevators, there's an escalator down to the tunnel to T3. Security is usually pretty good these days, you should be through in 20 minutes or less if things go well.
OP is on a single PNR. There's no reason to go landside as posted here.

OP should follow the flight connections signs, use the airside bus, and pass through security at the T3 flight connections facility. As posted earlier in this thread.

To the OP: LHR has a handy flight connections guide here:http://www.heathrow.com/flight-connections.

Take a look, it will help you plan.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 9:41 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I think the answer depends on your tolerance for risk. While a 1:55 connection at LHR is doable, I can think of a dozen things that might happen that will cut that in half, from the possible (ordinary airline delays) to the unexpected (not getting boarding passes for the AA flight at initial check-in, which happened to me once at DUB).

So for me it's borderline. Throw in two other people (wife and 1-year old) and I lean toward the longer connection just to reduce my blood pressure. The extra connection time becomes a buffer that I can use to take a shower and have a meal, activities that I can sacrifice if there's an unusually long delay.

The one thing I always recommend when choosing a marginal connection is to have a back-up plan: Research what you'll do if you miss the shorter connection, so you'll be prepared in the event that it happens.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1h55 is fine, there's even leeway for a modest delay on SNN-LHR (I wouldn't start to worry unless the delay goes beyond 30-40 min.)
IME, the bigger backups are at U.K. Immigration (which doesn't apply here) as opposed to FCC security re-clearance. (While it may not be a walk in the park, I'd be surprised if it's really that terrible).
Old Jan 20, 2017, 9:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Link to LHR "Which terminal does my flight depart from / arrive?"

LHR is comprised of four terminals (Terminal 1 is now permanently closed). American Airlines and many oneworld airlines (e.g. AY, BA, CX, JJ, JL, QF, RJ, UL) use Terminal 3. T2 and T3 can be walked landslide via pedestrian tunnels (you will have to process security again). Use this tool to see where your next flight departs / arrives.

[/quote]

[quote]Transferring/ Connections at LHR interterminal can be done two ways:

Link to interactive custom Heathrow Flight Connections Guide

See Getting around between terminals here

2) Airside: Follow the signage to Flight Connections, where you will proceed to an airlines desks area (you can pick up missing Boarding Passes here), have your flight documents checked and be approved "ready for flight" - checking that your carry-on baggage complies (some reports of full-sized rollaboards being taken for checking exist).

Once you do this, you will proceed to a bus waiting area at airport ground level and take a bus to your next terminal, where you will proceed through a standard airport security check. Now you are ready to catch your next flight. Flight connections Minimum Connect Times are ordinarily 75 - 90 minutes (the latter for connections between T3 and T5).

NOTE: You must be at your connecting gate 20 minutes prior to departure. If you must recover bags and re-check (e.g. oneworld to non-oneworld or LCC) you must check your baggage in at least 45 minutes prior to departure.

Use this tool available from this page on LHR's website that include a step by step guide through Flight Connections. The page also offers videos. Use this tool to see where your next flight departs / arrives.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 10:16 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by bse118
OP is on a single PNR. There's no reason to go landside as posted here.

OP should follow the flight connections signs, use the airside bus, and pass through security at the T3 flight connections facility. As posted earlier in this thread.

To the OP: LHR has a handy flight connections guide here:http://www.heathrow.com/flight-connections.

Take a look, it will help you plan.
OP is on Aer Lingus. It's going to be faster to collect bags and go through regular security. Plus, odds are much greater that they will actually have their bags when they get back to the States. Been there, done that.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
Six of one, half dozen of the other. Personally I'd take the standard approach for T2-T3 airside. I've passed through LHR connections probably 50 times and had a bag not make it only once. OP is on his way home and even if his bag misses the CLT flight, it's not going to wreck his trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.