Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA announces new boarding policy effective 1 March 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 23, 2017, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
New AA Boarding as of Priority March 1, 2017
including minimum gate arrival time to board

Link to "Boarding Process" page on aa.com

NOTE: Changes have been announced to be implemented 01 March 2017, as tweeted by JonNYC. See American Airlines announces new boarding policy effective 1 March 2017

Link to March 1 boarding process on aa.com.

On March 1, 2017, American Airlines will launch a new, simplified boarding process. In the future, all customers will be assigned a group number (1 through 9) based on their ticket type, elite status level and priority. We will call the group number in our announcements rather than all customer types. The boarding order will be the same, with only minor exceptions. The change is in how we refer to each group on boarding passes and announcements. Our ConciergeKey members will be invited to board prior to general boarding.

Preboard: Pax requiring assistance, ConciergeKey
Group 1 - First class or 2 cabin international Business class / Military
Group 2 - Executive Platinum / Emerald / 3 Cabin Business class
Group 3 - Platinum Pro / Platinum / Sapphire
Group 4 - Gold / Air Pass / Executive Citi credit card / Alaska MVP / purchased Priority Boarding
Group 5 - Premium Economy / Main Cabin Extra / Other AAdvantage eligible credit cards
Group 6-8 - Coach Groups
Group 9 - Basic Economy

See Ben Schlappig / Lucky's blog here.

CURRENT Boarding Progression On Flights Departing the U.S. and Canada through 28 February 2017

Slightly different processes for:
  • Travel within the U.S. on Aircraft with Two-Class Service (First Class / Main Cabin)

• Travel within the U.S. on Aircraft with Two-Class Service (Business Class / Main Cabin)

• Travel within the U.S. on Aircraft with Three-Class Service & International Departures

General Boarding Order within or departing U.S.A. and Canada: (as of 1/1/2017)
  • Preboarding (may include those with disabilities or mobility impairments and their companions, users of Five Star Services, occasionally Concierge Key customers and, overseas, parents with infants and small children). (Five Star customers may even board prior to preboarding in some instances.)

• Concierge Key members

• First Class and U. S. Military (usually First Class only overseas)

• Business Class (where only Business is offered, Military in Uniform in USA)
    - or, departing US three class flight - Business Class, AAdvantage Executive Platinum / oneworld Emerald

• AAdvantage Executive Platinum / AAdvantage Platinum / oneworld Emerald / Sapphire (if not previously boarded)

• Platinum Pro, Platinum and oneworld® SapphireSM

• AAdvantage Gold / oneworld Ruby

• AirPass / Priority

• Group 1

• Group 2

• Group 3

• Group 4

Group 1 / Priority includes those purchasing Choice Essential or Choice Plus fares, those with credit cards including Priority boarding, etc.

NOTE: "Should you arrive at the gate after Priority customers have been called, you may bypass the General Boarding lines and enjoy the convenience of boarding anytime via your new dedicated boarding lane." (American Airlines policy.)

Boarding Group order assignment other than class of service and Elites:

Currently AA assigns boarding group by check in method: (c/o ThreeJulietTango)
  • Group 1: Bulkhead rows, wheelchairs, credit card holders, purchased fare bundle, purchased Main Cabin Extra, purchased Group 1

• Group 2: Online check-in, exit rows, connecting inbound from another airline

• Group 3: Curbside check-in, self-service check-in

• Group 4: Agent check-in
Boarding Times:

See chart in first post.

NOTE: AA gate agents seem to often and unpredictably begin boarding earlier than the scheduled times mentioned below.

50 minutes prior to departure From/To the United States and:
Europe
Middle East
Asia
South American destinations: Asuncion, PY; Brasilia, BR; Belo Horizonte, BR; Curitiba, Br; Buenos Aires, AR; Rio de Janeiro, BR; Sao Paulo, BR; Lima, PE; Montevideo, UY; Porto Alegre, BR; Recife, BR; Salvador, BR; Santiago, CL; Sao Paulo Viracop, BR
45 minutes prior to departure - From/To the United States and:
Caribbean
Central America
Hawaii
Mexico
South American destinations: La Paz, BO; Santa Cruz, BO; Maracaibo, VE; Caracas, VE; Bogota, CO; Cali, CO; Medellin, CO; Guayaquil, EC; Quito, EC
35 minutes prior to departure - Domestic on these aircraft types: A321, A321S, A330, B757, B767, B787, B777
Within the 48 contiguous states
Alaska
Canada
30 minutes prior to departure - Domestic on these aircraft types: A319, A320, A321T, E190, S80, B737
Within the 48 contiguous states
Alaska
Canada
At the Gate prior to boarding

Conditions of Carriage (Link
)

"Arrival at Gate
You must be at the gate and ready to board the aircraft:

15 minutes prior to scheduled departure for flights departing from points -within- the U.S., Puerto Rico, and Virgin Islands

30 minutes prior to scheduled departure for flights departing from points -outside- the U.S., Puerto Rico, and Virgin Islands, i.e., Canada, Mexico, Europe, Asia, Central/South America, Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda"

For gate arrival, AA states: "Recommended before your flight: Link

30 minutes

Be at the gate, ready to board. Doors close 10 minutes before departure – once they close you'll be denied boarding."[/QUOTE]

Prior language: Minimum time for checking in and arriving at the gate

To better ensure an on-time departure, our goal is to close the jetbridge door 10 minutes before departure time. This allows all customers to board and stow their belongings.

To retain your pre-reserved seat on a confirmed flight, make sure to follow the minimum check in and gate arrival times.*

For flights within and between the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands:**
  • Minimum check-in is at least 45 minutes before scheduled departure in most locations (changed March 2015) Link

• Arrive at the gate and be ready to board at least 15 minutes prior to scheduled departure
For flights originating outside the U.S. or flights departing the U.S. for an international destination:
  • Minimum check-in is at least 60 minutes before scheduled departure except in Buenos Aires (75), Dublin(75), Caracas (90) and Maracaibo (90).

• Arrive at the gate and be ready to board at least 30 minutes prior to scheduled departure
*Particular seats on the aircraft are not guaranteed.

**In St. Thomas (STT) the minimum time for checking in with or without baggage is 90 minutes (1.5 hours) prior to the scheduled departure.

Link to aa.com full listing of check in times with and without baggage
Revised 9 Feb 2017 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...ng-order-2017/

Haven't seen this posted yet

9 groups

Group 1 - First class or Two Cabin Business / military
Group 2 - EXP / Emerald / Three Cabin Business
Group 3 - PP/Platinum/Sapphire
Group 4 - Gold/Executive Credit Cards/Alaska MVP/Purchased Priority Boarding
Group 5 - Main Cabin Extra/Premium Economy/Regular Credit Cards
Group 6-8 - Coach groups
Group 9 - Basic Economy

EDIT - If actual groups are printed on boarding passes in this manner, it could improve boarding dramatically

MOD NOTE: for current policy (through 28 Feb), see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ed-issues.html

For NEW boarding order on aa.com see here.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 1, 2017 at 2:10 pm Reason: Insert mod note
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:08 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Eh deleted. Need to be nicer.

Thanks to JonNYC for posting about this and other things on Twitter last night!
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
Thanks to JonNYC for posting about this and other things on Twitter last night!
Very welcome! Needless to say, I -could- have started new threads for all this stuff last night when I started posting it, but, there was so much I was overwhelmed! On this part, I mentioned it here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27781070-post19.html

As far as this part goes:
Originally Posted by Adelphos
[EDIT - If actual groups are printed on boarding passes in this manner, it could improve boarding dramatically

Heres a bit on that:
Boarding passes will now print with either "PRIORITY" or "MAIN" in addition to the boarding group. A premium economy boarding pass prototype has "PREMIUM ECONOMY" printing where the "MAIN" should be (same with the basic economy boarding pass), so the final version may change.

Last edited by JonNYC; Jan 18, 2017 at 6:18 pm
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:19 pm

How about CK?

ETA I see in the link they will go back to pre-boarding.

Last edited by Elbowrm; Jan 18, 2017 at 6:33 pm Reason: .
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:22 pm
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
Uh, kind of looks like they forgot Business...
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by BLG
International (Two Class) Business is in Group 1, Domestic (Three Class) Business is in Group 2
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Elbowrm
How about CK?
pre-board before group 1

Originally Posted by BLG
Not to my eyes they didn't.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, EY Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*, Global Entry
While this likely doesn't affect most of us since we are usually far more knowledgable than the average flyer, but how is this going to affect marketing materials for the credit cards that offer priority boarding. I'd hate to be average joe flyer who got the card thinking that I get group 1 boarding and now is group 4 or 5. While it reality there isn't a loss, it sure appears so to the average flyer. This might even run afoul of CFPB regulations, though that agency might not even exist next week.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Somedays I appreciate the WN cattle stalls ....
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:12 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLAT, Marriott PLAT, Hilton Honors GLD, SPG PLAT
Originally Posted by Adelphos
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...ng-order-2017/

Haven't seen this posted yet

9 groups

Group 1 - First class or Two Cabin Business / military
Group 2 - EXP / Emerald / Three Cabin Business
Group 3 - PP/Platinum/Sapphire
Group 4 - Gold/Executive Credit Cards/Alaska MVP/Purchased Priority Boarding
Group 5 - Main Cabin Extra/Premium Economy/Regular Credit Cards
Group 6-8 - Coach groups
Group 9 - Basic Economy

EDIT - If actual groups are printed on boarding passes in this manner, it could improve boarding dramatically
Yea, but will they enforce it?

I see it without fail someone playing dumb when some priority group is boarding someone always plays dumb and pulls the whole "oh I thought everyone was boarding" (despite the pulsating mob anxiously gripping their carry-ons waiting behind them playing by the rules - suckers) and the agent just lets them on.

In the past two years I've seen maybe twice (only once I remember for sure) the gate agent gently remind someone "sorry - we are boarding Platinum, you are in group 4".
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Plat
Nice Gold screwed even more.

A while back AA mixed Gold with those that purchase Group 1/Priority, then de coupled it. Now its back. Sucks.

Like I say, Gold it nothing today.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: SkyMiles, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, Rapid Rewards, Global Entry
The reality of what's going to happen: "Groups 1-4 may now board"

Everyone in coach piles forward.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Mentioned elsewhere recently, but it will be a shock to the Kettles who've got an AA credit card that promises "priority boarding" that they're now going to be more than halfway down the boarding priority (potentially in Group 5 of 9).

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Super80Fan
The reality of what's going to happen: "Groups 1-4 may now board"

Everyone in coach piles forward.
Isn't this the truth. This is my biggest gripe with AA right now. I don't usually use the term gate lice, but it's absolutely insane at some places (like LAX).
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:50 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLAT, Marriott PLAT, Hilton Honors GLD, SPG PLAT
Originally Posted by BThumme
Isn't this the truth. This is my biggest gripe with AA right now. I don't usually use the term gate lice, but it's absolutely insane at some places (like LAX).
THIS.

I hate it. But at the same time - the airlines are just giving the people what they want - I hate that too.

Just devalues the overall AA product - status that is.

Makes it harder to remain loyal - and not just chase the cheap fares (if you can't beat em - join em.

But I am based out of DFW - so AA has me by the coin-purse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.