Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2017 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
2017 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

Welcome to the "2017 Guide to, and listing of, compensation" thread!

NOTE: If compensation is not generated automatically (occasionally, it will), you will want to contact American Airlines Customer Relations. See Contacting American Airlines Customer Relations & Complaint, Issues (master thread).

In keeping with tradition, we'd like to ask members to report their compensation in the following format:

• Date
  • AAdvantage Status
  • Fare class
  • What happened
  • Compensation
  • Comments
Please, do NOT post names of non-management employees, in accordance with FlyerTalk TOS (q#69) "Respect the privacy of non-management travel service employees by not referring to them by name."

JGR01 has created a spreadsheet parsing posts in this thread from 2003-2007, available for download here

AA's official policy regarding compensation for delays, cancellations, and diversions is as follows (thanks to tom911 for posting):
DELAYS, CANCELLATIONS AND DIVERSIONS

American Airlines will provide customers at the airport and onboard an affected aircraft with timely and frequent updates regarding known delays, cancellations and diversions and will strive to provide the best available information concerning the duration of delays and to the extent available, the flight's anticipated departure time.

We are not responsible for any special, incidental or consequential damages if we do not meet this commitment.

When cancellations and major delays are experienced, you will be rerouted on our next flight with available seats. If the delay or cancellation was caused by events within our control and we do not get you to your final destination on the expected arrival day, we will provide reasonable overnight accommodations, subject to availability.

In extreme circumstances, it is possible that a flight will cancel while on the ground in the city to which it was diverted. When this happens you will be rerouted on the next American flight with available seats, or in some circumstances on another airline or some other alternative means of transportation. If we are unable to reroute you, reasonable overnight accommodations will be provided by American, subject to availability.

American will provide amenities for delayed passengers, necessary to maintain the safety and/or welfare of certain passengers such as customers with disabilities, unaccompanied children, the elderly or others to whom such amenities will be furnished consistent with special needs and/or circumstances.
• The U. S. Department of Transportation's official policy regarding compensation for delays or cancellations is as follows (thanks to hillrider for posting):
Contrary to the belief of some, airlines are not required to compensate passengers for “damages” when flights are delayed or canceled. Compensation is required by law only when you are “bumped” from a flight that is oversold. Airlines almost always refuse to pay passengers for financial losses resulting from a delayed flight. If the purpose of your trip is to close a potentially lucrative business deal, to give a speech or lecture, to attend a family function, or to be present at any time-sensitive event, you might want to allow a little extra time and take an earlier flight. In other words, airline delays and cancellations are not unusual, and defensive planning is a good idea when time is your most important consideration.
Flights to/from/within Europe carry specific compensation rights, as outlined at: http://ec.europa.eu/transport/passen.../en/index.html

Also see (FT) EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints, compensation and AA (master thread)

(The other compensation threads are archived and closed, but can easily be accessed for reading here:

2016 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

2015 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2014 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of compensation (archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2012 - archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2003 - 2011 archived)

AA Forum Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2017 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2017, 1:15 pm

Anyone have any compensation experience regarding broken IFE on international business ( 5 1/2 hour flight)? The whole flights IFE was out as they announced when we boarded the plan except 3 seats in Biz class. Obviously was hoping AA would be proactive but nothing yet from my Sunday flight. To add the two fligt attendants spent the majority of the flight chatting in the forward galley with the light on that illuminated the whole biz class cabin (A319).
Old May 17, 2017, 5:15 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter
Anyone have any compensation experience regarding broken IFE on international business ( 5 1/2 hour flight)? The whole flights IFE was out as they announced when we boarded the plan except 3 seats in Biz class. Obviously was hoping AA would be proactive but nothing yet from my Sunday flight. To add the two fligt attendants spent the majority of the flight chatting in the forward galley with the light on that illuminated the whole biz class cabin (A319).
It's based on various factors including fare class and status, so I can't say for sure. Typically, however, you're good for 5k-15k when that happens. Let us know what happens.
Old May 17, 2017, 11:19 am

Recived 15k and my companion recived 15k. She has no status and I'm EXP.
Old May 17, 2017, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by ludocdoc
Date May 2 2017
AAdvantage Status ExPlat
Fare class economy (O)
What happened: Booked as BOS-DFW-BOG
- BOS-DFW, went mechanical.
- The gate agent in BOS started rebooking me through MIA. There was a MIA flight boarding at the adjacent gate, and I asked to be put on that to get to MIA as early as possible. The agent refused, stating that my bag had to be pulled and a later flight to MIA would connect to the same MIA-BOG flight.
- This decision was key. Instead of a 4+ hour MIA layover (which I requested), she booked BOS-MIA-BOG with a 26 minute connection that evaporated due to a weather delay in flight around MIA.
- The Miami team was helpful and rebooked me on a 3am *A Avianca flight.
- They never pulled my bag - it went to DFW, misconnected to BOG, was sent it to MIA, misconnected and didn't come with me to Bogota.
- It took 4 days to get my bag. It arrived in BOG the next day, but took 2 more to deliver because AA gave it to Avianca, who briefly lost it. AA brought it all the way to BOG but wouldn't deliver it to my hotel. My... dimensions... made buying replacement clothes in BOG impossible, or they'd be on the hook for that.

I was up all night in MIA, instead of sleeping in m prepaid hotel in BOG. Missed my AM flight the next day in Colombia as Avianca didnt get me in in time.

Compensation will update when AA responds

Comments What should I expect? I think the baggage fail and the flight fail are each worth a voucher. The refusal to put me on the earlier flight due to the bag just adds sting since they didnt actually pull the bag. you cant have it both ways AA.
I was offered 10,000 miles. Given this fiasco, and the fact hat others are seeing 15000 for broken IFE (and they got there on time), I think thats a pretty pathetic start from AA.

ultimately, Wrote back to customer relations that I was disappointed wit the response, focusing on how the gate agent refused my solution and used her bad one instead, and that lead to complications. Got a $200 voucher.

Last edited by ludocdoc; May 25, 2017 at 7:15 pm
Old May 20, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: Delta Plt, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Plt, AA
My next door neighbor received 25,000 miles for a broken IFE on a Delta 1st class flight to HNL. I think she got real lucky!
Old May 20, 2017, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by discoverCSG
Date: January 14, 2017
AAdvantage Status: EXP, Emerald
Fare class: Deep discount Y AAVacations, upgraded to J using SWU
What happened: NRT-DFW new 777-200ER changed to old 777-200ER a few minutes after my upgrade cleared at T-24. J is not lie-flat on the plane I actually flew; flight was otherwise on-time and pleasant.
Compensation: I didn't make any complaint, but AA Customer Relations proactively sent an e-mail the following business day apologizing for the inconvenience of crossing the Pacific in a non-lie-flat seat and deposited 25,000 AAdvantage miles in my account.
thats awesome! Same thing happened to me and all I got was 5000 points.
Old May 22, 2017, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
flashing overhead light, do I write in?

So this morning I took an ORD-SFO flight on an A321S in 24B (exit row).

After take off, I pull the IFE out to check the flight map and notice none of the controls work. Annoyed, I put the IFE away and proceed to attempt to take a nap, when I see some flashing lights. At first I thought it was sunlight coming out of someones window before I realized my overhead lights appeared to be stuck in on/off mode.. the entire flight. I attempted to reset the IFE by holding the power+home button and even tried cleaning the screen several times, but the flashing kept going....

Finally, I asked an FA about it, who said they really couldn't do anything but write it up... So hopefully no one else has to be stuck in that cursed seat....

So I wonder if I should write in about this... believe me, having a flashing light above you is perhaps worse than having multiple crying babies around you, and this is actually AA's fault! But what does one even ask for?

And to add, there have been multiple things annoying me about AA lately, from power-tripping agents to unannounced early departures, to issues with the stupid QIK preventing agents from doing anything useful, I feel like complaining about this just makes me an AA whiner.... How often do people write in to complain????
Old May 22, 2017, 5:59 pm
Suspended

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old May 22, 2017, 6:01 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Absolutely tweet them. Since it was an IFE malfunction/inflight annoyance they will most likely award you with 1000 miles per flight hour.
Old May 22, 2017, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
I find that tweeting is better for relaying feedback about specific individuals (at least, the responses I get make me feel surer that someone will actually get the praise or the inquiry).

But I find that on the very rare occasion when I have a complaint that warrants compensation, writing in via the Contact AA link on aa.com gets me a response with compensation within a day.
Old May 22, 2017, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
thanks, didn't know about the thread, mods please merge

Originally Posted by AAflyerORD
Absolutely tweet them. Since it was an IFE malfunction/inflight annoyance they will most likely award you with 1000 miles per flight hour.
Hm, interesting, thanks!

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
I find that tweeting is better for relaying feedback about specific individuals (at least, the responses I get make me feel surer that someone will actually get the praise or the inquiry).

But I find that on the very rare occasion when I have a complaint that warrants compensation, writing in via the Contact AA link on aa.com gets me a response with compensation within a day.
I'm just afraid that I'm going to be marked as a frequent complainer...
Old May 22, 2017, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Anyone else think the OP will simply get an insulting canned response with little, if any, compensation regardless of how frequently or infrequently he/she complains?

Or have I just gotten too cynical?

IMHO, it's a legitimate complaint.
Old May 22, 2017, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by no2chem
I'm just afraid that I'm going to be marked as a frequent complainer...
My sense is that prospect gets somewhat overblown around here. Unless you're clearly abusing the complaint system (like writing in after literally every flight and demanding compensation for something), I doubt you'll be flagged for anything.
Old May 22, 2017, 9:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rjw242
My sense is that prospect gets somewhat overblown around here. Unless you're clearly abusing the complaint system (like writing in after literally every flight and demanding compensation for something), I doubt you'll be flagged for anything.
I agree.
Old May 22, 2017, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by rjw242
Originally Posted by JonNYC
I agree.
Right. Everyone's compensation is equally poor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.