Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2017 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
2017 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

Welcome to the "2017 Guide to, and listing of, compensation" thread!

NOTE: If compensation is not generated automatically (occasionally, it will), you will want to contact American Airlines Customer Relations. See Contacting American Airlines Customer Relations & Complaint, Issues (master thread).

In keeping with tradition, we'd like to ask members to report their compensation in the following format:

• Date
  • AAdvantage Status
  • Fare class
  • What happened
  • Compensation
  • Comments
Please, do NOT post names of non-management employees, in accordance with FlyerTalk TOS (q#69) "Respect the privacy of non-management travel service employees by not referring to them by name."

JGR01 has created a spreadsheet parsing posts in this thread from 2003-2007, available for download here

AA's official policy regarding compensation for delays, cancellations, and diversions is as follows (thanks to tom911 for posting):
DELAYS, CANCELLATIONS AND DIVERSIONS

American Airlines will provide customers at the airport and onboard an affected aircraft with timely and frequent updates regarding known delays, cancellations and diversions and will strive to provide the best available information concerning the duration of delays and to the extent available, the flight's anticipated departure time.

We are not responsible for any special, incidental or consequential damages if we do not meet this commitment.

When cancellations and major delays are experienced, you will be rerouted on our next flight with available seats. If the delay or cancellation was caused by events within our control and we do not get you to your final destination on the expected arrival day, we will provide reasonable overnight accommodations, subject to availability.

In extreme circumstances, it is possible that a flight will cancel while on the ground in the city to which it was diverted. When this happens you will be rerouted on the next American flight with available seats, or in some circumstances on another airline or some other alternative means of transportation. If we are unable to reroute you, reasonable overnight accommodations will be provided by American, subject to availability.

American will provide amenities for delayed passengers, necessary to maintain the safety and/or welfare of certain passengers such as customers with disabilities, unaccompanied children, the elderly or others to whom such amenities will be furnished consistent with special needs and/or circumstances.
• The U. S. Department of Transportation's official policy regarding compensation for delays or cancellations is as follows (thanks to hillrider for posting):
Contrary to the belief of some, airlines are not required to compensate passengers for “damages” when flights are delayed or canceled. Compensation is required by law only when you are “bumped” from a flight that is oversold. Airlines almost always refuse to pay passengers for financial losses resulting from a delayed flight. If the purpose of your trip is to close a potentially lucrative business deal, to give a speech or lecture, to attend a family function, or to be present at any time-sensitive event, you might want to allow a little extra time and take an earlier flight. In other words, airline delays and cancellations are not unusual, and defensive planning is a good idea when time is your most important consideration.
Flights to/from/within Europe carry specific compensation rights, as outlined at: http://ec.europa.eu/transport/passen.../en/index.html

Also see (FT) EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints, compensation and AA (master thread)

(The other compensation threads are archived and closed, but can easily be accessed for reading here:

2016 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

2015 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2014 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of compensation (archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2012 - archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2003 - 2011 archived)

AA Forum Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2017 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no compensation, but a customer service gesture. These are all pretty much automated, so it doesn't matter how you reach out.

The easiest way is to send in a web form which is 2 sentences long (as AA has all of the details based on your log on information). You will receive back the appropriate # of miles. Less is more with these sorts of things as they aren't really being read.

The days of negotiating for stuff are long over absent truly extraordinary circumstances, none of which are present on a 3-hour domestic delay.

Compensation would be due if this were a departure from the EU (EC 261/2004), an overnight due to MX (hotel) and the like.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 9:43 am

For the two maintenance related domestic cancellations I have experienced in the past six months, I have been offered a $300 voucher within a couple hours of making the complaint. One resulted in an overnight hotel stay in LAX, the other resulted in me abandoning a SFO-CLT-RDU itinerary and re-booking the trip for a couple of weeks in the future (full refund as well).

I'm an EXP.

Last edited by cpdc1030; Jan 19, 2017 at 9:50 am
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
My MXP-MIA was delayed 4 hours last August and I got 15K without sending any complain trough the web, then in September my MIA-EZE flight was delayed around 12hs and I got the same amount (15K) next day and my wife got the same amount (I'm ExP and wife is GLD, we were on separate PNR).
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
I have received mile compensation and $$ refund for purchased preferred seating loss, when there were cancelled flights, delays, re bookings, late arrivals because of mechanicals. But only after I wrote a short, concise, polite explanation email to CS.

When our DFW-HNL was delayed 3+ hours a couple years ago, due to a mechanical and eventual aircraft swap, the next morning we received unsolicited emails from AA with apology and advising that 5K miles would be deposited in our accounts.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat
I see lots of people saying to write customer service- for flight delays, seat mishaps, cancellations, and any complaints about past flights the email needs to go to Customer Relations not AAdvantage customer service. AAdvantage dept assists with missing mileage, questions about the program, account updates.

If when you are sending an email to the AAdvantage dept and you have to put topic OTHER- that's your first clue it may not be the right dept and will need to be routed to Customer Relations delaying a response.

If you look at the contact AA email page, it says AAdvantage account service and the drop menu lists a variety of things they handle.

If you drop down on the TOPIC to Customer Relations you can select a "Reason" and it lists all the things most passengers complain about and want resolved or compensation.

It saves everyone time if sent to the right place to begin with.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 3:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Crossing the Pacific in NGBC J

Date: January 14, 2017
AAdvantage Status: EXP, Emerald
Fare class: Deep discount Y AAVacations, upgraded to J using SWU
What happened: NRT-DFW new 777-200ER changed to old 777-200ER a few minutes after my upgrade cleared at T-24. J is not lie-flat on the plane I actually flew; flight was otherwise on-time and pleasant.
Compensation: I didn't make any complaint, but AA Customer Relations proactively sent an e-mail the following business day apologizing for the inconvenience of crossing the Pacific in a non-lie-flat seat and deposited 25,000 AAdvantage miles in my account.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 9:21 am

Compensation for mechanical cancellation?

I was on return flight from PAP (port au prince haiti)
flight was supposed to depart at 12:50 but it was delayed because of mechanical issues. 7 pm flight was cancelled and was told to just bring old boarding pass the next day. The next morning flight was still having issues but other fights from Miami were arriving on their scheduled flights.
tried to get on those flights but flights were full.
at 1 pm decided to just buy a one way on delta.
while landing at home from delta flight I get a text that the AA flight in PAP was cancelled again.
which I'm glad I ended purchasing the one way on Delta. So what can I expect from AA in terms of compensation? I am a non elite passenger.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by castillojose
I was on return flight from PAP (port au prince haiti)
flight was supposed to depart at 12:50 but it was delayed because of mechanical issues. 7 pm flight was cancelled and was told to just bring old boarding pass the next day. The next morning flight was still having issues but other fights from Miami were arriving on their scheduled flights.
tried to get on those flights but flights were full.
at 1 pm decided to just buy a one way on delta.
while landing at home from delta flight I get a text that the AA flight in PAP was cancelled again.
which I'm glad I ended purchasing the one way on Delta. So what can I expect from AA in terms of compensation? I am a non elite passenger.
Refund of the portion of the trip you didn't take. Although it would have been prudent to have informed AA -- and since the flight is cancelled again, may not be too late -- that you don't wish to travel anymore. AA will refund you what you paid for that flight(s) to your destination. They will NOT reimburse you for your DL ticket.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by discoverCSG
Date: January 14, 2017
AAdvantage Status: EXP, Emerald
Fare class: Deep discount Y AAVacations, upgraded to J using SWU
What happened: NRT-DFW new 777-200ER changed to old 777-200ER a few minutes after my upgrade cleared at T-24. J is not lie-flat on the plane I actually flew; flight was otherwise on-time and pleasant.
Compensation: I didn't make any complaint, but AA Customer Relations proactively sent an e-mail the following business day apologizing for the inconvenience of crossing the Pacific in a non-lie-flat seat and deposited 25,000 AAdvantage miles in my account.
That's really good and fair.^

And, surprisingly, proactive.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 9:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As soon as the AA flight was cancelled the first time, you were entitled to a refund of the cancelled segment if you wished. You could then do as you pleased, including purchase a new ticket on another carrier. While the fare rules typically, but not always, require you to cancel prior to the flight's departure, it was cancelled, so those won't apply here. Nonetheless, to avoid hassles, call in immediately and then send in a webform request for the refund so that you have a receipt.

I presume that AA provided hotel & food vouchers if you needed them. If you had to pay on your own, you should submit those for reimbursement. You will not see much, but should see something.

While AA does not interline with DL, it does interline with other carriers and it might have rerouted you on another carrier had you asked. I don't know if you did.

AA will not reimburse you for your travel on DL. That was your decision. Your travel insurance should cover the fare difference and other out-of-pocket expenses.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 10:35 am

Thank you for your responses. I did let AA know that I wanted them to cancel the flight before heading to delta checkin because I actually had checked bags. Ill try and give them a call to try to at least refund the one way.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 9:20 pm

Jan 2017

Situation 1: Going from PDX-DFW-CUN
PDX-DFW flight was canceled due to weather, rerouted to LAX to CUN on an overnight flight, which is very difficult for us but we seemed to have no choice. My husband has a medical condition that requires regular sleep times. Arrived at destination 8 hours late, did not get to enjoy first night and meals at resort. Husband was very uncomfortable from the travel situation.

Situation 2: Going from CUN-PHX-PDX
Flight from CUN-PHX was delayed due to mechanical issues, they basically knew we wouldn't make our connection but no effort was made to rebook us on another flight. Missed the connection by minutes. Had to spend the night in Phoenix. They gave us a dinner voucher and paid for hotel. Next flight available to PDX arrived at 1 PM, 14 hours late. Had to spend extra money on dog sitting, parking at airport, and had to cancel an entire day of work the next day (I own a small business that depends on my presence).

Any chance of compensation for either situation? We don't collect AA points, we always have them add to our Alaska account. Not sure if that makes a difference. Thank you!
Old Jan 22, 2017, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by travelfam7700
Jan 2017

Situation 1: Going from PDX-DFW-CUN
PDX-DFW flight was canceled due to weather, rerouted to LAX to CUN on an overnight flight, which is very difficult for us but we seemed to have no choice. My husband has a medical condition that requires regular sleep times. Arrived at destination 8 hours late, did not get to enjoy first night and meals at resort. Husband was very uncomfortable from the travel situation.

Situation 2: Going from CUN-PHX-PDX
Flight from CUN-PHX was delayed due to mechanical issues, they basically knew we wouldn't make our connection but no effort was made to rebook us on another flight. Missed the connection by minutes. Had to spend the night in Phoenix. They gave us a dinner voucher and paid for hotel. Next flight available to PDX arrived at 1 PM, 14 hours late. Had to spend extra money on dog sitting, parking at airport, and had to cancel an entire day of work the next day (I own a small business that depends on my presence).

Any chance of compensation for either situation? We don't collect AA points, we always have them add to our Alaska account. Not sure if that makes a difference. Thank you!
Weather delays usually do not receive monetary compensation but may offer some bonus miles to AA account, can't credit bonus miles to Alaska account.

Proven mechanical delays may receive a voucher if you let them know you do not have an AA account for bonus miles. Since they did pay for dinner and hotel, don't expect much more but you may want to open an AA account and earn a bunch of bonus miles and redeem for a one way flight.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I had a flight this year that was delayed by 4 hours and caused me to miss some meetings. I sent an email to AA and requested $200 voucher and they gave it to me.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by flyerguy1975
Weather delays usually do not receive monetary compensation but may offer some bonus miles to AA account, can't credit bonus miles to Alaska account.

Proven mechanical delays may receive a voucher if you let them know you do not have an AA account for bonus miles. Since they did pay for dinner and hotel, don't expect much more but you may want to open an AA account and earn a bunch of bonus miles and redeem for a one way flight.

Thanks! Sounds like the best thing would be to aim for miles (although I think a voucher might possibly be more useful). I assume I can't transfer those miles? For these scenarios, how many miles should I ask for?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.