Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Unofficial: Complimentary CK/EXP Premium Economy Upgrades?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unofficial: Complimentary CK/EXP Premium Economy Upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: UA 1K
This is great news. It's been a while since we received great news from AA!

(I think the only other great news was ability to upgrade award tix later in 2017).
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by PlatinumScum
The scenario you describe is logical and customer-friendly. What does that tell you about its chances of being implemented?
The fact that it boosts AA's revenue by letting no-status lowlifes who want to upgrade with currency (miles and/or copay) who purchase premium economy have priority over EXPs who want to use a SWU to upgrade from Y to J.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by ashill
I think that would be ver fair. To my eye, a fair upgrade priority would be
1. (Any) W -> J (C), CK, EXP, PPRO, PLAT, Gold, no-status
2. (Any) Y -> J (C), CK, EXP, PPRO, PLAT, Gold, no-status
I can see arguments for your approach as well as just prioritizing within elite tier, but I do hope that purchasing PE has some effect on priority. There's probably a bunch of flights where I'm willing to risk an upgrade where the fallback is PE but not where it's coach, and it would be great if paying for the better service also meant the upgrade was more likely.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
This right here is gonna make me go for exp at least for another year.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
1. As mentioned, wonder if this is temporary - until all international cabins get PE? I hope not. But if it wasn't to J, then people who were looking for an upgrade would avoid aircraft with PE.

2. Wonder if companions of CK/EXP are upgraded with the elite to PE? Although now - SWU upgrades do not group companion with primary's status, but I am referring to the comp upgrade to PE.

Last edited by cova; Jan 18, 2017 at 11:51 am
Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:53 am

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
If PEY is actually not full all the time, this is a big plus for <8h flights, like flights to LHR or MAD where I don't want to "waste" an SWU
(my strategy now for LHR flights is to do the outbound in Y and upgrade the longer return if I have extra SWUs).

I guess though, time will tell how well these upgrades work... I mean currently only available on 789s anyway.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:02 pm
Suspended

Gary now confirming my info:

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....onal-upgrades/

This was viewed by many as a devaluation of mileage upgrades and systemwide upgrades which are mostly given to Executive Platinum 100,000 mile flyers. However it appears that upgrades will continue to be from economy to business. American confirms this.

Second, since there won’t be any way to upgrade with miles into premium economy, it appears there’s going to be a way to get premium economy upgrades. American confirms this. JonNYC says that premium economy seats will be provided to Executive Platinum members and ConciergeKey members subject to availability on day of departure.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JonNYC
But he's quoting you as the source. So is that technically confirmation or just restating?

My big question is: If PE is booked emtpy, and there are no CKs or EXPs in economy on the flight, only PROs or Plats or Golds, will the flight still go out with PE empty?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Fantastic news... for a change. :^

I'm glad I fly ex-DFW so much, where there are already so many PE routes. This is going to make traveling with the family a lot nicer TATL if we can get complimentary upgrades to PE.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sdsearch
But he's quoting you as the source. So is that technically confirmation or just restating?
However it appears that upgrades will continue to be from economy to business. American confirms this.
is the part I was referring to.

Originally Posted by sdsearch
...My big question is: If PE is booked emtpy, and there are no CKs or EXPs in economy on the flight, only PROs or Plats or Golds, will the flight still go out with PE empty?
Well, they will be selling DODU day Of Departure Upgrades) formerly L(F)BU) upgrades from Y -> W, so, I'd imagine they'll offer them for sale.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
JonNYC and others, have we seen/heard confirmation that pax ticketed in W will have upgrade priority over those in Y? I sure hope so. I can't imagine AA thinks anyone will buy W if it doesn't help your odds of upgrading.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by no1cub17
JonNYC and others, have we seen/heard confirmation that pax ticketed in W will have upgrade priority over those in Y? I sure hope so. I can't imagine AA thinks anyone will buy W if it doesn't help your odds of upgrading.
AA has not issued clarification on this yet.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
I'm hoping it's something like CK W> CK Y> Exp W> Exp Y> Pro W> Pro Y etc.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Wouldn't I buy W if I wanted to guarantee that the lowest class seat I sit in is W?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hiima
I'm hoping it's something like CK W> CK Y> Exp W> Exp Y> Pro W> Pro Y etc.
Logically this would make sense, otherwise it would open a back door for a PLT to get an upgrade from PE before an EXP from Y, and having maybe paid $300 more for that ticket. But in the big picture, with the new EQD requirements in place, the EXP has (or will) likely spent more $s than a PLT over the year.

Also, with the rolling EQD (spend) UG prioritization going into effect between pax in the same tier, doing otherwise would complicate things even further..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.