Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA - "best airline of the year" (2017, Air Transport World)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/ne...-the-year.html

To celebrate, all AA employees being given 2 confirmed roundtrip tickets anywhere in the network (NRPS), upgradable at the airport if inventory exists. Don't worry elites, they will likely be "UPGE" on the PALL list which is lower than all SWU and mileage upgrades. Still, an amazing gesture for its employees! (Unless you're already a managing director and above, which already comes with free PS travel...)

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 17, 2017 at 3:31 pm Reason: Activate URL
Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:17 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
ATW called the integration “practically flawless despite it being the largest, most complex airline merger in history.”

ATW editor-in-chief Karen Walker said in a news release. “American Airlines has never been in better shape to deliver more to all of its stakeholders.”
Notice they say "stakeholders," not "customers." :P
Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:18 pm

Well done to AA and it's employees.
I believe that AA set the bar in terms of executing a merger without major hiccups.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:20 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by josmul123

In business-speak, stakeholders include customers which is why PR departments overuse the word.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I get the stakeholder distinction .... and many of the changes have certainly not been customer friendly (but some have). However, the integration of the two airlines has been remarkable from integrating the reservation systems to the flight operations system, passengers have hardly seen the impact. In fact, I'd be surprised if there are those not on FT who know its actually still three airlines.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I get the stakeholder distinction .... and many of the changes have certainly not been customer friendly (but some have). However, the integration of the two airlines has been remarkable from integrating the reservation systems to the flight operations system, passengers have hardly seen the impact. In fact, I'd be surprised if there are those not on FT who know its actually still three airlines.
I'm on FT, and I don't know it's three airlines. Are there parts that are still not integrated? I thought once they got the single operating certificate, that was it.

Edit: I see that I've forgotten the timeline, and the reservations integration happened afterwards. Anyway, what's the point about there still being three airlines?
Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: SkyMiles, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, Rapid Rewards, Global Entry
Originally Posted by DoctorORD
http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/2017/01/17/american-airlines-named-airline-of-the-year.html

To celebrate, all AA employees being given 2 confirmed roundtrip tickets anywhere in the network (NRPS), upgradable at the airport if inventory exists. Don't worry elites, they will likely be "UPGE" on the PALL list which is lower than all SWU and mileage upgrades. Still, an amazing gesture for its employees! (Unless you're already a managing director and above, which already comes with free PS travel...)
Um, how come they didn't give Flyertalk members 2 confirmed roundtrip tickets anywhere in the network?

It's like they want us to pay for their services or something...
Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:43 pm

Were the editors not flying last summer when the operation was in the toilet and cancellations were high? It is as though I've warped into an alternate universe.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:03 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
In fact, I'd be surprised if there are those not on FT who know its actually still three airlines.
I believe that ended in Jan 2015 with an unified CBA for the pilots.

However, I think the unified contract negotiations for flight attendants are still ongoing. I notice with DL/UA the FA contract took a long time. UA just finally accomplished this feat last summer.

Nonetheless - I think AA did an incredible job integrating the airlines from the back end. My experience with AA integration of US has been very good compared to DL/NW and UA/CO - I flew over 60-80 flights a year with them during their integrations. It is the customer facing decisions thus far that have left me very disappointed, particularly with standardizing the product, making it easier for me to better leverage the combined network for my travel needs and enhancing the front end technology to empower me to make travel decisions on the go without having to depend on an agent.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:09 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Merger was indeed smooth, but they should do something with still bad operational performance. Anyway - congrats AA!!!
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: SkyMiles, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, Rapid Rewards, Global Entry
All jokes aside, I think (in my humble opinion) they did a pretty good job with this merger. Flew on both AA & US right before the merger, during, and the new AA right at the end/after the integration and everything was running smoothly throught the process. Can't say the same about the mess that was the UA & CO merger.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by josmul123

Originally Posted by controller1
In business-speak, stakeholders include customers which is why PR departments overuse the word.
Pasture Pancakes and Dog Pooh Pooh. Coming from the Financial Services industry, a "Stakeholder" is nothing more than a fancy new name for shareholder or bond holder. In other words, someone who has an financial interest in profitability.

PR and marketing rarely has any knowledge of their "product', doesn't use it, and will NEVER actually talk to an end user.

(Sarcasm on): As a Passenger (REVENUE), I am truly looking forward to an even lower upgrade clearance rate going forward, as I must now compete with even more employees (EXPENSE). I know what it says, but my experience is ... different. YMMV. (Sarcasm off)
Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I believe that the integration was very smooth, compared to others over the past 3 decades. Kudos to the AA employees -- particularly those behind the scenes who get very few accolades!!

That said, it is now time for AA to work on operational performance and in-flight service. Both of these areas need significant attention.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by formeraa
I believe that the integration was very smooth, compared to others over the past 3 decades. Kudos to the AA employees -- particularly those behind the scenes who get very few accolades!!

That said, it is now time for AA to work on operational performance and in-flight service. Both of these areas need significant attention.
Indeed. I'd give AA credit for "Best Airline Merger" but the result is nonetheless not a very good airline. Still, pulling off the merger successfully and with minimal pain to customers was a good result worthy of recognition even if the name of the award ("Best Airline") doesn't seem quite right.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
There remains no integration of the AA/US/HP flight attendant groups.

Legacy AA flight attendants are restricted to legacy AA flight attendant bases and work under the legacy AA scheduling system.

Legacy US and HP flight attendants are restricted to legacy US/HP bases; however, the legacy HP base at PHX is treated separately. If a legacy US flight attendant transfers there, they work under the rules dedicated to that base.

There is no date set for full integration. And AA doesn't seem to be in a rush to implement full integration.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.