Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Washington Dulles (IAD) To LAX Non Stop Cancelled In April

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2017, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium

Check your tickets. They cancelled my 7 AM non stop and now only have an evening flight. No notification. Found out by accident on AA.com

The new flight they originally had me on was via CLT with a 40 minute connection time. No way was that acceptable.

Called res and requested the DCA non stop at the same time. Really nice agent. I was on a saver award and they had to open up two seats for me via a call to yield management.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Timetable show's that LAX-IAD exists but is now a 950AM flight. AA2670. No evening flight exists. One return from IAD to LAX.

Edit Z Title is misleading. IAD/LAX service hasn't been cancelled, but downgraded to 1 flight each way.

Last edited by flyerCO; Jan 14, 2017 at 4:19 pm
Old Jan 14, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Noticed the exact same thing earlier this week (some notification from AA would have been appreciated) for an award booking I've got IAD-LAX in F. Called EXP desk this morning and placed onto the nonstop DCA-LAX flight (even though there was definitely no saaver availability on the DCA flight). Oddly, agent insisted on charging me 40 cents in additional "taxes" - which is not right but also not worth the time to argue considering DCA is a much better option for me (and wasn't available when I originally booked).

I really do wish AA sent out notifications, however, for significant schedule and routing changes.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 14, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
So it looks like AA at IAD has gone from 3X daily IAD-LAX flights to 1. Maybe we will eventually see AA pull out of IAD.

The DCA-LAX are always full. There is little chance of AA getting a third DCA-LAX. The second DCA-LAX is the DCA-SAN slot that US had.

Last edited by cova; Jan 14, 2017 at 4:36 pm
Old Jan 14, 2017, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by cova
So it looks like AA at IAD has gone from 3X daily IAD-LAX flights to 1. Maybe we will eventually see AA full out of IAD.

The DCA-LAX are always full. There is little chance of AA getting a third DCA-LAX. The second DCA-LAX is the DCA-SAN slot that US had.
Of course DL starts DCA/LAX next month and is going to be using a lay-flat 757 for the route. I have to imagine some will book onto that instead of AA.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Of course DL starts DCA/LAX next month and is going to be using a lay-flat 757 for the route. I have to imagine some will book onto that instead of AA.
But people who live out beyond the Beltway in VA will still fly out of IAD. AA started the DCA-LAX with a 757 but it had too many mechanical issues - and they could not swap aircraft with anything but a 738.

There really needs to be a 757 replacement. UA has a 753 on the DCA-SFO due to demand. That is the biggest plan out of DCA. DL only has 752s out of DCA. They could always put on a old NW 753 on the route.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
But people who live out beyond the Beltway in VA will still fly out of IAD. AA started the DCA-LAX with a 757 but it had too many mechanical issues - and they could not swap aircraft with anything but a 738.

There really needs to be a 757 replacement. UA has a 753 on the DCA-SFO due to demand. That is the biggest plan out of DCA. DL only has 752s out of DCA. They could always put on a old NW 753 on the route.
AA has that in their fleet. It's called the A321. And they have around 200 of them. All of which can easily fly IAD-LAX. It's just that IAD-LAX became less relevant when AA started flying DCA-LAX. Also keep in mind that AA can connect people on both ends of DCA-LAX. Not so much for IAD-LAX. You could say that IAD could serve as a transit point for OW carriers flying into there. However, all of those carriers also fly directly into LAX. And in my experience flying IAD-LAX more times than I can count, most of the intl passengers seem to be people who are connecting onto a QF flight at LAX. But DCA-LAX can also serve that same purpose.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Starts April 24, not next month...

http://news.delta.com/new-delta-rout...hington-reagan
Old Jan 14, 2017, 5:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Oddly, the DCA TCON's are simply packed with O&D corporate traffic. If you've got an AA contract, it's AA you're on whether it's got lie-flat or not.

For the HVC, the value on those services is the time-saving. You can leave a downtown DC meeting an hour before departure and make it quite easily with time to spare.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
When I was young and IAD was relatively new, I always thought it a pretty cool place. Architecture, those bus things out to the planes which raised and lowered, etc. Now I find it fairly cold and soulless. One big redeeming virtue IMO is the Udvar-Hazy Museum, which I visited a number of years ago and loved. Anyone know if there's any type of easy transportation from the pax terminal to the museum and back? Would be well worth an extra long connection if there is.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]

There really needs to be a 757 replacement.
Is the 321 not allowed into/out of DCA?
Old Jan 14, 2017, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
When I was young and IAD was relatively new, I always thought it a pretty cool place. Architecture, those bus things out to the planes which raised and lowered, etc. Now I find it fairly cold and soulless. One big redeeming virtue IMO is the Udvar-Hazy Museum, which I visited a number of years ago and loved. Anyone know if there's any type of easy transportation from the pax terminal to the museum and back? Would be well worth an extra long connection if there is.
Yes! See link for schedule. IAD is better these days due to the subway from the main terminal to the concourses. Beats the moon buggies. Also, the B concourse is by far the most modern and has the best restaurants.

http://www.commuterpage.com/pages/to...y&updated=true
Old Jan 14, 2017, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Is the 321 not allowed into/out of DCA?
Of course it is allowed! Why would it not be? Just the airlines choice.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by chix
Of course it is allowed! Why would it not be? Just the airlines choice.
Well, it's a short runway, and I'm unsure if the 321 would be able to take off full in most conditions at DCA; and I was responding to cova, who claims AA couldn't swap the 757 with anything but a 738; yet there are plenty of 321s in the AA fleet. <shrugs>
Old Jan 14, 2017, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
I am glad Delta is putting some competition into the WAS route. Sad to hear that SLC lost a DCA option.

Even if companies have a AA contract, I feel confident that companies will quickly either demand AA offer a better plane or happily allow DL flying. It is sad to see AA quickly cut capacity, but the competition will improve the situation long-term.

I think the AA 321T would provide a option, but I don't know what is still on order that could be used for that route beyond what is already deployed for JFK.

The 32B sharklet does fly from DCA, but doesn't offer a lie flat product.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1693721-aa-321b-jfk-dca-why-full-fare-question.html

Rasheed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.