Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Washington Dulles (IAD) To LAX Non Stop Cancelled In April

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Washington Dulles (IAD) To LAX Non Stop Cancelled In April

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
AA DCA-LAX is available (first seats sold) for under $1K round trip. That is about the price of buying a $550 RT fare and (for Plat/Gold) and applying purchased 500 miles stickers for $400 RT (5 each way @ $40 each).

For this reason F sells out (and upgrades are hard to get). I have even started to purchase F on this route if it is only $250 more each way.

Thought being you get not only double EQD for that extra amount but double EQM and more RDM. EXP status is only 50,000 EQM per year if you buy F. So people are buyiing F for this reason as well. If you hope for an sticker upgrade and it did happen you do not get the extra EQD or EQM or RDM.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 2:53 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by golfingboy
I suspect this strategy is more to appease the competitive LA business market with a superior product offering where DL is competiting for market share against AA/UA/soon-to-be larger AS.
Indeed. I agree this is about the LA market, not the Washington market.

Washington is an interesting place-- having money is common but having the kind of money that drops multi thousands of dollars on a flat bed transcon is not super common the way it is in LA. And the people who do have that kind of expense account in Washington don't necessarily have a need to fly to LA all that often.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Actually working with many pols and lobbyists I have first hand knowledge. Do you think your Senator or Congress person is going to fly AA or DL with lay-flat?
Congresspeople tend to fly in economy, but of course you know that.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by wetrat0
Indeed. I agree this is about the LA market, not the Washington market.

Washington is an interesting place-- having money is common but having the kind of money that drops multi thousands of dollars on a flat bed transcon is not super common the way it is in LA. And the people who do have that kind of expense account in Washington don't necessarily have a need to fly to LA all that often.
I do not agree. While it is more common to have a bigger budget in LA or NY, there are plenty of deep pockets in DC.

Hats off to Delta for testing out premium transcontinental flights out DCA.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by rjw242
Congresspeople tend to fly in economy, but of course you know that.
Most Senators and Congressmen I have seen don't. Their employees, yes. Them no. Can't tell you the last Senator or Rep I saw sitting in Y. Even if government only pays for Y, most can afford it, or someone else is paying for it.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:37 pm

The D.C. suburbs are among the richest areas of the country. I think Loudoun, Fairfax and Howard counties are the top 3 counties with the highest median income. I don't know if there's a lot of the kind of 'moguls' you may get in Hollywood and Manhattan but 'rich people' are legion in and around D.C.

It's not like it's all government workers, politicians, lobbyists or even foreign dignitaries. There's a massive defense industry presence, a significant tech and a notable finance presence in the area, too.

I'm only familiar with the D.C. of this era but it feels like yuppie HQ, comparable to the wealthier coastal communities of California in economics, and I don't think it's always been that way.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
The D.C. suburbs are among the richest areas of the country. I think Loudoun, Fairfax and Howard counties are the top 3 counties with the highest median income. I don't know if there's a lot of the kind of 'moguls' you may get in Hollywood and Manhattan but 'rich people' are legion in and around D.C.

It's not like it's all government workers, politicians, lobbyists or even foreign dignitaries. There's a massive defense industry presence, a significant tech and a notable finance presence in the area, too.

I'm only familiar with the D.C. of this era but it feels like yuppie HQ, comparable to the wealthier coastal communities of California in economics, and I don't think it's always been that way.
If there was such a demand for lie-flat seats in the premium cabin from WAS to LAX, then UA would be flying more than just one of their half a dozen daily flights on that route equiped with such seats. Instead, they're mostly 739s.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:25 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by Fanjet
If there was such a demand for lie-flat seats in the premium cabin from WAS to LAX, then UA would be flying more than just one of their half a dozen daily flights on that route equiped with such seats.
The lack of every flight being flat bedded doesn't mean that all flights need to not have flat beds. Obviously there is some demand and those who think there isn't "that kind of money" in DC haven't been or spent any time in the city. I was born here and have never left the area - believe me, the money is here.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:35 pm

If there was such a demand for lie-flat seats in the premium cabin from WAS to LAX, then UA would be flying more than just one of their half a dozen daily flights on that route equiped with such seats. Instead, they're mostly 739s.
I wasn't commenting on demand levels, it was more a contribution to the discussion regarding wealth levels. Presence of wealth doesn't necessarily imply premium cabin demand for a particular route as that also depends on travel patterns dictated by personal, business and leisure connections. D.C. is also more linked to New York than to the West Coast. There's a reason it's being referred to as the Acela Corridor and there's probably like a hundred flights between D.C. and New York scheduled every day.

NYC is a special case in terms of its quantity of people and accumulation of wealth. It would be silly to pretend D.C. (or any other city in the U.S.) is just like New York.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
The lack of every flight being flat bedded doesn't mean that all flights need to not have flat beds. Obviously there is some demand and those who think there isn't "that kind of money" in DC haven't been or spent any time in the city. I was born here and have never left the area - believe me, the money is here.
I lived in NoVa for 15 years. Washington-California is the route pair I have flown the most in my life by the widest margin. I am very much aware of the wealth that exists there. But the WAS-LAX market is not the same as NYC-LAX in terms of demand. Not just in terms of capacity; but in what that type of capacity is.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 7:30 am
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Most Senators and Congressmen I have seen don't. Their employees, yes. Them no. Can't tell you the last Senator or Rep I saw sitting in Y. Even if government only pays for Y, most can afford it, or someone else is paying for it.
I sat next to a local congressman (from an adjoining district to mine) in Y last week. We had a spirited discussion.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 1:02 pm

As usual, one airline makes a first move and others have to decide how they'll respond. It's not like nothing ever changes.

The product and demand from IAD to LAX will likely be different than DCA, although you could argue with UA using it for a hub, perhaps they could justify and make money on upgrading some or all of their IAD to LAX flights to flat beds for int'l connections. I just don't know how many people fly into IAD internationally on F and ultimately need to be in LAX, vs. just fly nonstop to LAX from wherever they started (or the other direction either).

My hunch would be if someone responds to Delta upping the ante by doing something similar, it won't be UA at Dulles.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LovePrunes
As usual, one airline makes a first move and others have to decide how they'll respond. It's not like nothing ever changes.

The product and demand from IAD to LAX will likely be different than DCA, although you could argue with UA using it for a hub, perhaps they could justify and make money on upgrading some or all of their IAD to LAX flights to flat beds for int'l connections. I just don't know how many people fly into IAD internationally on F and ultimately need to be in LAX, vs. just fly nonstop to LAX from wherever they started (or the other direction either).

My hunch would be if someone responds to Delta upping the ante by doing something similar, it won't be UA at Dulles.
But why would they need to up the ante? AA will have "double the frequency" than DL will have between DCA and LAX. Which also means that they would have to fly both of those flights with lie-flat seats. I also don't think they will command the revenue premium needed to offset the costs of operating that specific aircraft type on the route. And I actually think that is more of the case for Delta than would be for American. As their DeltaOne 757s only hold around 170 seats total compared to their reconfigured domestic 757s; which hold just under 200 seats.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by OTD
I sat next to a local congressman (from an adjoining district to mine) in Y last week. We had a spirited discussion.
A single anecdote as a rebuttal to "most Senators and Congressmen don't" seems weak to me. <shrugs>
Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just want to add that IAD-LAX is not axed. It will be back to 2 daily frequencies in the late spring. So, AA will fly 2X daily DCA-LAX; and 2X daily IAD-LAX. On the L.A. end, there will be 2 morning flights; one each to DCA and IAD. A mid-day flight to DCA. And an overnight flight to IAD. On the WAS end, there will be two morning flights (IAD and DCA). And two early evening flights (IAD and DCA). All flown with 738s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.