Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Guide: JFK / New York J F Kennedy International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc

AA Guide: JFK / New York J F Kennedy International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc

Old Jan 13, 2016, 4:15 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Arrow AA Guide: JFK / New York J F Kennedy International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc

AA Guide: JFK / New York John F. Kennedy International Airport, MCT / Connection
[PLEASE FEEL FREE TO UPDATE]

Any member with 90 posts and 90 days on FlyerTalk can edit and add to the wiki.

New York denizens and frequent JFK Terminal 8 users in particular are invited and encouraged to add value to this wikipost and thread by sharing your knowledge.

Thanks to all for helping make the AA forum a welcoming and informative corner of the interwebs.

(N.B. The old thread has been archived here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...re-2016-a.html)

/AA Moderator Team

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 25, 2018 at 10:27 pm
Old Jan 13, 2016, 4:15 pm

AA Guide: JFK / New York JFK Int Airport, MCT / Connection (2016 onwards)

I have an upcoming flight from LAX to Europe, with a 2-hour connection at JFK.
The itinerary says CHANGE TERMINALS.
I am quite unfamiliar with JFK, but I assume I will be arriving in AA's domestic terminal and then have to change over to the International Departures terminal.
Is this an easy walk, or are there shuttles?
Will I have to re-do security?
It's a Business AAward ticket, if that matters.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
If your international segment is operated with BA or IB metal (even if it has an AA flight number), then you will need to change terminals at JFK and reclear security. 2 hours should be sufficient, but you will want to move swiftly.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36
If your international segment is operated with BA or IB metal (even if it has an AA flight number), then you will need to change terminals at JFK and reclear security. 2 hours should be sufficient, but you will want to move swiftly.
Both flights are AA. I knew better than to select BA metal and their trans-Atlantic fees !
Old Jan 13, 2016, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Since they are all on AA metal, both flights should operate out of Terminal 8. Now there are 2 "sections" of T8 but they are easily connected via tunnel.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by cheaptom
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Both flights are AA. I knew better than to select BA metal and their trans-Atlantic fees !
All AA flights at JFK operate out of Terminal 8. AA does not have separate international and domestic terminals at JFK. I have no idea what to make of the "change terminals" language on your itinerary.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 4:57 pm

Thanks, everyone. I called AA and confirmed that the Terminals are the same. She also has no idea why that appears on my itinerary, but she believes it's because something to do with an international flight and the system just automatically included the terminal change message, thinking I was on BA.

Last edited by Microwave; Jan 14, 2016 at 2:21 am Reason: Removed QUOTE tags since this was not a quote
Old Jan 14, 2016, 2:22 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by cheaptom
I have an upcoming flight from LAX to Europe, with a 2-hour connection at JFK.
The itinerary says CHANGE TERMINALS.
I am quite unfamiliar with JFK, but I assume I will be arriving in AA's domestic terminal and then have to change over to the International Departures terminal.
Is this an easy walk, or are there shuttles?
Will I have to re-do security?
It's a Business AAward ticket, if that matters.
I'll go ahead and put this thread into the extant JFK connections thread.

~Moderator
Old Jan 14, 2016, 7:36 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Maybe a DUH question, but all these years of flying in T7 on BA and connecting to AA in T8. I've always picked up my bag at immigration (which is tagged to my final destination), and lugged it to T8 and checked them back in again. I know there's a bag drop at T7 as you exit immigration, but I don't think I'm allowed to drop them off there. Am I?
Old Jan 14, 2016, 8:14 am

Looking at doing a T4-T8 connection in an hour and a half from intl to domestic. I know its very tight and on separate tickets no less but I am willing to take the risk. How much time would it save if I am able to get my bag checked to my final destination instead of at JFK? Does getting my bag checked at my origin save any time at all since I know all bags are collected at JFK anyway?
Old Jan 14, 2016, 8:29 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ASUDan130
Looking at doing a T4-T8 connection in an hour and a half from intl to domestic. I know its very tight and on separate tickets no less but I am willing to take the risk. How much time would it save if I am able to get my bag checked to my final destination instead of at JFK? Does getting my bag checked at my origin save any time at all since I know all bags are collected at JFK anyway?
Does AA even have a bag drop at T4? I doubt it...

I would only even consider this itinerary with carry-ons only.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by SJC AA
Does AA even have a bag drop at T4? I doubt it...

I would only even consider this itinerary with carry-ons only.
Well what do I have to lose by trying? Lose a few thousand points because I am going to use BA Avios since its less than AA and worst case I miss the flight and then I go into NYC and take the bus to WAS instead. So if there is no AA bag drop at T4 I have to re-check the bag anyway so no point in getting it checked all the way through?
Old Jan 14, 2016, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by Abidjan
Maybe a DUH question, but all these years of flying in T7 on BA and connecting to AA in T8. I've always picked up my bag at immigration (which is tagged to my final destination), and lugged it to T8 and checked them back in again. I know there's a bag drop at T7 as you exit immigration, but I don't think I'm allowed to drop them off there. Am I?
Of course you are. For whom do you think that bag drop exists?
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:23 am

Programs: M&M FTL / FB Silver / JP Silver / SkyWards Silver
Maximum check in time JFK [connecting baggage qq]

Dear all,

I will have a connection time of 11 hours (JFK) and I will have to recheck luggage as my final destination in Brazil. My intention is to go for a few hours to NYC. Will I be able to check in straight away, or it is a maximum time to check in luggage in JFK?

Thank you,
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:27 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by fanofmumbai
Dear all,

I will have a connection time of 11 hours (JFK) and I will have to recheck luggage as my final destination in Brazil. My intention is to go for a few hours to NYC. Will I be able to check in straight away, or it is a maximum time to check in luggage in JFK?

Thank you,
There's insufficient information here to give you much advice; sorry. According to sleepinginairports.net:

Luggage Storage & Lockers - Terminal 1 - Arrivals (Landside) • Terminal 2 - Arrivals (Landside) • Terminal 4 - Arrivals (Landside) • Terminal 5 - Arrivals (Landside) • Terminal 8 - Arrivals (Landside). Rates from: $4.00 (up to 20") - $11.00 (27"-32"). Hours: No access to bags overnight. The office is open 7:00AM - 11:00PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.