Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: Will I Have Lounge Access? Access, Rules (2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
HELP DESK: Lounge Access, Access Rules. Will I Have Lounge Access? (2017)
Please read this wiki carefully; some fine nuances exist.

PLEASE DO NOT ALTER THE CONTENT OF THIS MODERATOR NOTE

The Lounge Access Help Desk

To assist members with questions about Lounge Access Rules that they have not been able to answer on their own using the above resources, the AA Moderator team has decided to institute this thread, the third in a series of "Help Desk" threads. N.B.: If you have questions about physical access to a specific lounge (e.g., airside vs. landside, different terminal, etc.), please search for and post to the appropriate specific thread for that lounge.

New threads on this topic will be merged into this one and bumped by the moderators as necessary. As such, we do not expect that this thread will develop into a searchable database, but that it will nonetheless provide a valuable resource to members. As well, we may shed / pare down posts from time to time to a trailing thread or similar device.

Our goal is to provide a place where members can feel welcome to post such questions and expect helpful, accurate responses. In this way, we hope to accommodate the needs and desires of both new and veteran members - those who aren't sure they are interpreting the available resources correctly can ask for help without fear of snarky-appearing responses; those who do not wish to participate in such threads are invited and, indeed, encouraged, to ignore this thread.

Please be forewarned: This thread will be subject to heavy moderation. Posts that are incorrect will be subject to deletion without notice - DO NOT POST answers unless you are 100% sure your answer is complete and correct. Posts that are unhelpful or off-topic will also be subject to deletion without notice - DO NOT POST unless you can be friendly, helpful, concise, and salient.

Finally, a few guidelines for members posting queries to this thread:
  • Please DO make an effort to review the listed resources before posting here.
  • Please DO try to give as much information as possible, including your entire itinerary, with carrier for each segment and codeshares and stopovers clearly designated, your class of service and fare class purchased, whether or not you have Admirals Club or Qantas Club membership, a Citi AAdvantage Executive card (which includes full Admirals Club membership), and the number of guests and your family relationship with them, if any.
  • Please DO understand it could take some time for answers (especially on holidays and weekends.)
  • Please DO thank helpful members volunteering to reply to your questions.
Note: Members interested in arranging AA lounge meet-ups or offer guesting in should use this thread: Admirals Club / Flagship Lounge Meet Up & Guest Offer (master thread)

Also see the future changes in lounges and access: Admirals Club and Flagship Lounge Changes, Renovations & Additions

Sincerely,
The American Airlines | AAdvantage forum Moderator Team
(Help Desk established by dstan)

=================end mod note===================

oneworld Lounge Access
Wizard by kduarte.

Help Desk: Lounge Access Rules / Will I Have Lounge Access?

Lounge Access can be obtained in a number of ways during travel on AA and its oneworld partner airlines. These include purchasing an Admirals Club one day pass, or via Citi AAdvantage Executive MasterCard (including, as of Dec 2015, authorized card users), reciprocity agreements with other airlines, traveling on certain transcon flights in F or J, or traveling internationally with Platinum (oneworld Sapphire) or Executive Platinum (oneworld Emerald) status or in F or J classes of service - except if flying solely within North America inc,Using destinations other than MEX or the Caribbean. The last is often the greatest source of confusion, despite lounge access rules being described clearly on aa.com. Threads about these are linked to in the American Airlines LOUNGE DASHBOARD thread.

Admirals Club members paid or Executive cardholder members) are entitled guests as follows:

Up to two guests or household members (spouse, domestic partner and/or children under the age of 18) may accompany the member.
* Note that AA no longer offers a 30-day membership as of July 25 2016.

For AA status-based access (PLT, PlatPro or EXP),* passengers must: (1) be traveling on an international itinerary (Europe, Asia, Central and South America, and Mexico City, excluding the Caribbean and other destinations in North America (other than on certain three class transcontinental flights) including other destinations in Mexico, and (2) have an onward flight on a oneworld airline marketed and operated flight on the same day. PLT and PPRO members are eligible for access to all oneworld Business Class lounges, now including Flagship Lounges, including Admirals Clubs; EXP members are also eligible for access to all oneworld First Class lounges, including Flagship Lounges.

Lounges operated by third parties or premium lunges operating outside of oneworld rules (e.g. BA Concorde Room, Qatar Al Safwa or Al Mourjan lounges) may be excluded, and all may may refuse admittance if they claim they are crowded. There are other exceptions.

*Non-AA oneworld Sapphire and Emerald elites are not subject to rule #1 above.

Emerald / EP on CX JFK-YVR are not subject to AA limitations and are issued Flagship Lounge invitations for use at JFK.

Another confusing rule relates to transcontinental access. From member FriendlySkies:

Traveling on a Non-Stop Transcontinental* Flight? http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/trans-con-access.jsp

More changes:

If you are traveling in the First or Business class cabin (on flights sold as three classes) in one of the following non-stop markets, we welcome you to visit the lounge as indicated below.

The following exceptions apply:

First and Business Class customers who do not hold Emerald or Sapphire tier status are not eligible to access American Airlines lounges when travelling on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean; customers travelling in First or Business class on U.S. transcontinental flights between JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and MIA-LAX (and vice-versa) are eligible for lounge access. one world lounge access page - link
On February 17 2016, AA announced an addition to the above. As stated on their Reimagining our lounges page, in the Flagship Lounges section, "Starting in 2017, lounge access will be extended to customers booked in Business and First Class on A321T, Trans-Atlantic, Trans-Pacific and deep South American flights."

In the Flagship Dining subsection, they state:

Beginning in early 2017, the Flagship Dining experience will be available in select cities with 3-class service:

● Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW)

● New York (JFK)

● Miami (MIA)

● Los Angeles (LAX)

First Class customers on American’s 3-class international and transcontinental flights will have exclusive access to Flagship Dining in 2017
All Admirals Club visitors receive free Wi-Fi access at Admirals Clubs (password is available at front desk and throughout the Club on signs), some non-alcoholic and "well" (lower price tier) alcoholic beverages and counter snacks (fruit, some kind of snack mix, cheese cubes, hot cereal mornings and soup evenings are the most common - recent additions have been made); free computer terminals are available for all passengers, and many Clubs have Business Centers and tethered Samsung Galaxy tablets in seating areas. Passengers accessing Admirals Clubs based on status or class of service on international travel are entitled to free drinks coupons usable for higher-tier non-alcoholic and alcoholic beverages and bottles of water.

Flagship Lounges (JFK, LAX, LHR and ORD) offer extended beverages and upscale snack services as well. See below for link.

NOTE: Some Lounges and Clubs are undergoing refurbishment.

Citi Prestige MasterCard holder Admirals Club access ended July 23, 2017.

American Express Platinum cardholder Admirals Club access ended 21 March 2014.

NOTE: It has been verified more airports are allowing multiple terminal access on one's day of departure. LAX has been one since mid-2014.

Admirals Club access is granted the day of flight for statusholders flyingone world and those flying F or J, or the following day at the first port of arrival if flying overnight and arriving by 0600.

Airports requiring Lounge users have a same day departure boarding pass include BOG, CCS, CDG, GIG, GRU, LHR, MEX, NRT, SCL, YYZ.

N.B. Qantas Lounges and Clubs require Smart Casual (sic) dress as of May 2015; those not meeting the standard may be turned away. They also require AAdvantage members be traveling on a departing AA marketed flight.

Please see the following resources for full details on Lounge Access Rules: (and see below)

. . . ● AA.com: Lounge Access Rules

. . . ● AA.com: American Airlines Flagship Lounge Access Rules

Beginning later in 2017: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ge-updates.jsp opens Flagship access to many more pax.

. . . ● AA.com: Reimaging our lounges

. . . ● AA.com: Admirals Club Membership Guide in a downloadable PDF format.

. . . ● oneworld.com: Lounge Access Rules and Search Tool

. . . ● Wiki: Lounges

. . . ● FT: American Airlines LOUNGE DASHBOARD

For various threads on membership, access by status, transcon service, class of service, Flagship lounge access, lounges directory with links to specific lounge threads, Club member access to partner lounges, recipripocity agreements, etc.

. . . ● Last year's thread:HELP DESK: Will I Have Lounge Access? Access, Rules (2016)

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: Will I Have Lounge Access? Access, Rules (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by ASUDan130
Domestic
There is no lounge access for you.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:18 am

Not very convenient. Terminal B (domestic AA) and Terminal E (international) are not connected and you would need to exit security and bus (or fairly long walk outside) between them. I have no knowledge of whether you could pass security in E with your boarding pass.

The BA lounge was recently renovated. I haven't been in it since the reno, but reviews seem positive.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:18 am

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
If you are an AAdvantage Platinum member traveling domestic, then you have no lounge access privileges. You would need to get an admirals club membership or pay for a day pass
Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access

American Airlines AAdvantage® members, regardless of their tier status or class of travel, are not eligible for lounge access when travelling solely on North American flights within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean.
You would have access if you were QF Platinum, but not AA Platinum.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milesandmoremiles
If you are an AAdvantage Platinum member traveling domestic, then you have no lounge access privileges. You would need to get an admirals club membership or pay for a day pass
Or flying on business on that BA flight to LHR.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian
Or flying on business on that BA flight to LHR.
As a AA Platinum (OneWorld Sapphire) OP would have access to the lounge if they were on the BA flight to LHR in any class, wouldn't have to be in business.

But, as has been correctly stated in this thread, no access if travelling on a solely domestic itinerary.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bse118
As a AA Platinum (OneWorld Sapphire) OP would have access to the lounge if they were on the BA flight to LHR in any class, wouldn't have to be in business.

But, as has been correctly stated in this thread, no access if travelling on a solely domestic itinerary.
While I agree that's what the books say BA Terraces Lounges have denied access to folks that aren't flying BA and on another one world airline instead. It happened to me at DFW. They told me they are reserving space for BA flyers only so sorry and enjoy the AC.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
While I agree that's what the books say BA Terraces Lounges have denied access to folks that aren't flying BA and on another one world airline instead. It happened to me at DFW. They told me they are reserving space for BA flyers only so sorry and enjoy the AC.
And they were correct in denying you access to that lounge. Its not actually a BA lounge, its a shared use lounge. Plus the One World website says you need to be specifically flying one of a list of airlines to use the lounge, AA isn't on there.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 8:39 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
FRA JAL Sakura Lounge

Scenario: Mrs. controller1 (AAdvantage Gold) and I (AAdvantage Platinum and Admirals Club member via Citi Executive AAdvantage MasterCard) will be traveling in Business on AA71 FRA-DFW. We will be traveling with two other adults traveling in Coach. Neither these two are AAdvantage elite or Admirals Club members.

Will the following scenario get all four of us access to the JAL Sakura Lounge? -- Mrs. controller1 will enter based on her Business Class boarding pass. I will enter based on my Admirals Club membership and guest the other two.

Thanks.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by milesandmoremiles
And they were correct in denying you access to that lounge. Its not actually a BA lounge, its a shared use lounge. Plus the One World website says you need to be specifically flying one of a list of airlines to use the lounge, AA isn't on there.
DFW has a contract BA lounge; BOS has a BA-operated lounge. The oneworld site says for DFW "Access for eligible customers traveling on these oneworld member airlines only" but for BOS "Access for eligible customers traveling on any oneworld member airline". Of course, as noted, an AA elite traveling domestically is not an eligible customer, so this distinction is a moot point for the OP's question (if the discussion is still about the OP I think it is).
Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:53 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by controller1
Scenario: Mrs. controller1 (AAdvantage Gold) and I (AAdvantage Platinum and Admirals Club member via Citi Executive AAdvantage MasterCard) will be traveling in Business on AA71 FRA-DFW. We will be traveling with two other adults traveling in Coach. Neither these two are AAdvantage elite or Admirals Club members.

Will the following scenario get all four of us access to the JAL Sakura Lounge? -- Mrs. controller1 will enter based on her Business Class boarding pass. I will enter based on my Admirals Club membership and guest the other two.

Thanks.
"Admirals Club member (annual paid or Citi Executive card) plus two guests or immediate family. Must present boarding pass and Admirals Club membership card for same day travel on AA or US marketed and operated flight*. Not valid for arriving guests."

and

"Must present a boarding pass for same day departing travel on an AA or US marketed and operated flight* and one of the following:
  • First Class or Business Class ticket (on same flight)
  • oneworld Emerald or oneworld Sapphire card
  • Admirals Club membership"
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html
Old Jun 24, 2017, 4:22 am

I'll be flying AA 81 LHR to DFW in First
I am EXP

Can my spouse (no status) but also in F and I enter the Cathay Pacific Lounge at LHR?
Is this better than the AA first class lounge?

Thanks for any advice or help
Old Jun 24, 2017, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by SteveinA2
I'll be flying AA 81 LHR to DFW in First
I am EXP

Can my spouse (no status) but also in F and I enter the Cathay Pacific Lounge at LHR?
Is this better than the AA first class lounge?

Thanks for any advice or help
Yep, since your wife has an eligible 3-class F flight she could access any available oneworld F or J lounge even traveling without you. Of course as an EXP on a qualifying flight, you can also access any available oneworld F or J lounge plus one guest regardless of your class of service (with a few exceptions).

And yes, the updated CX lounge is your best bet departing T3.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 4:18 pm

Memphis

Flying Business class to the Middle East via American & Iberia. Have never flown from MEM before. Looking at aa.com, I don't see an Admirals Club listed.

If there is not an AC, is there a partner lounge in Memphis?

THANKS!
Old Jun 25, 2017, 5:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by miles4sheli
Flying Business class to the Middle East via American & Iberia. Have never flown from MEM before. Looking at aa.com, I don't see an Admirals Club listed.

If there is not an AC, is there a partner lounge in Memphis?

THANKS!
Partner club? But no Admirals Club or lounge with reciprocal access. (There's a Lounge Dashboard post in the WELCOME sticky worth checking.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.