Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2016, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2017 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The older AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

[2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Old Aug 4, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
I'm not new, just perhaps really dense, with this basic question:

I booked a ticket (regular coach) a few months ago, cancelled the ticket before the trip and still have the confirmation code. When I look up my reservations on AA.com, it shows the trip as "Cancelled", but states that the reservation cannot be located and will be removed from the list.

Can't I apply the value of a cancelled ticket (upon payment of the $200 change fee) to a new ticket? Can that be done online, or do I have to call AA? I am Platinum, if that makes a difference.

Thanks!
You'll need the ticket number, not the old confirmation code. Put your new reservation on hold online, then call in to get it ticketed
Old Aug 4, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Diamond; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by pandaperth
I guess the reason no one has answered this is because none of us AA frequent flyers know the rules of the AS frequent flyer programme

Probably you should find the information yourself on the AS web site, or ask in the AS form

(My guess is that you will get only the point to point distance)
I have seen posts on the AS forum stating that you do indeed only earn AAA-CCC miles on an AAA-BBB-CCC flight, the same as with AA.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Originally Posted by chivas69
I just called the (german) hotline to upgrade a domestic flight by paying the fare difference, but the agent also wanted to charge me 170 EUR (200 USD) change fee. No other changes requested, only the upsell. Is that correct?
I'm new to AAdvantage but I just did this on a ticket in the US and was not charged the $200 change fee. I had to wait until it was ticketed (about 3 hours) to call in to upfee, upfare, upsell, I made sure not to say "upgrade" to not confuse the agent. I called before the 24 hour window was up, I'm not sure if this is a requirement or not.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 6:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by chivas69
I just called the (german) hotline to upgrade a domestic flight by paying the fare difference, but the agent also wanted to charge me 170 EUR (200 USD) change fee. No other changes requested, only the upsell. Is that correct?
As others have said, AA does not normally charge anything other than the fare increase and possible differences in taxes for an upfare.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 11:19 pm

Programs: LH HON
I'm a bit puzzled. I've tried to get both myself and +1 on the upgrade list for an upcoming international flight. To do so, I wanted to burn a SWU plus miles + copay, since I'm out of SWU. That's apparently not possible. We are on one PNR. The only way, according to the agent, would be to split our PNR thus decreasing her chances to get upgraded in the first place?

Is the only way to apply for 2x miles + copay?
Old Aug 5, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: AA EP
U did it correctly. However, u could have called AA and had them push through the ticket and do the upfare at the same time.

Originally Posted by Traveller
I'm new to AAdvantage but I just did this on a ticket in the US and was not charged the $200 change fee. I had to wait until it was ticketed (about 3 hours) to call in to upfee, upfare, upsell, I made sure not to say "upgrade" to not confuse the agent. I called before the 24 hour window was up, I'm not sure if this is a requirement or not.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 8:09 am
erm

Programs: Marriott, southwest, AA
I am flying ( with spouse) international (economy) AMS to BDL with a 3 hr layover in PHL. I have AA Citi platinum select card but no airline status. Is there any way to get lounge access in PHL? My apologies but I did use the search function and looked on the AA website. If there is no way to access AC are there any other types of lounge passes I might purchase for one day access. Thanks for any help you can give.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by erm
I am flying ( with spouse) international (economy) AMS to BDL with a 3 hr layover in PHL. I have AA Citi platinum select card but no airline status. Is there any way to get lounge access in PHL? My apologies but I did use the search function and looked on the AA website. If there is no way to access AC are there any other types of lounge passes I might purchase for one day access. Thanks for any help you can give.
You can buy a day pass when you get there for $59/person.

When are you traveling? There's an Amex Centurion lounge scheduled to open there later this year; a day pass there will be $50 if you have any Amex card, and will likely be a much nicer experience than the Admirals Club.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 7:22 pm
erm

Programs: Marriott, southwest, AA
Thanks, Swag.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 9:14 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by erm
Here's the page on the AA website: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...membership.jsp

As you'll see, AA can choose to not sell one-day passes in the lounges where there is extensive renovation work, as space/amenities tend to be reduced.

swag already mentioned the Amex Plat/Centurion option. Any chance you have a credit card or membership that gives you access to Priority Pass lounges? It's not a true "lounge," per se, but there is a Minute Suites facility available in PHL.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 2:24 am

Programs: ba gold
Is there any rhyme or reason for aa charging $40 more for ba yq than ba itself on the same flights
Attached Images   

Last edited by a mirrer; Aug 6, 2017 at 2:35 am
Old Aug 6, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: Aadvantage, SPG
If a plane has Wifi, does this mean that videos on demand are free?
Old Aug 6, 2017, 3:54 pm

Programs: DL PM
Delay for Phone Award tickets

Is it normal for points to not deduct and no confirmation email to come through right away on an international AA award booked over the phone? I'm also not yet seeing any charge on my credit card.

Hesitant to call again because I got lucky and didn't get charged the phone ticketing fee by the agent. I know there are delays with things ticketing, but thought I'd get some sort of email or be able to see the pending status in my AA account.

Thanks!

Last edited by ElliottMB; Aug 6, 2017 at 4:08 pm
Old Aug 6, 2017, 8:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by ElliottMB
Is it normal for points to not deduct and no confirmation email to come through right away on an international AA award booked over the phone? I'm also not yet seeing any charge on my credit card.

Hesitant to call again because I got lucky and didn't get charged the phone ticketing fee by the agent. I know there are delays with things ticketing, but thought I'd get some sort of email or be able to see the pending status in my AA account.

Thanks!
It is possible for an award to go into a queue for ticketing. Did the agent give you a PNR? I'd try looking up the ONR on aa.com.

Originally Posted by uyman
If a plane has Wifi, does this mean that videos on demand are free?
If the aircraft has an on-board WiFi server that uses the Gogo Entertainment app, the IFE is free. This server has no external connection capabilities.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 12:19 am

Programs: Aadvantage, SPG
Thanks again!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.