Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2016, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2017 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The older AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

[2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Old Jul 26, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Thanks!

Originally Posted by econometrics
+1. Call AA. Sometimes there is OW space available that is not shown on AA.com via the partners they do not list on AA.com.

Also, just keep watching it. Space comes and goes for AA/AY/IB award space - all which save you $ on taxes and surcharges vs. BA.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
Great points..thanks! Can you tell me, aside from BA, am I just searching too early for other partner airlines? Do all of them release inventory about a year in advance, or could it be closer to 6 or 9 months?
Check these threads, as they have lots of good info for you to peruse:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...stance-45.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...aster-thd.html
Old Jul 26, 2017, 2:08 pm

You da' man/woman!

Great tip; just confirmed exact date I wanted for 2pax on TN...$11USD for two
Thanks for your insider information. ^

Originally Posted by guv1976
I think what laagima meant was that if you can find award seats on AA TATL flights to LON, the fees for then connecting to a BA intra-European flight will be modest. But if you can only find TATL award space on BA metal, the surcharges will indeed be hefty.

You might call AA and inquire about award space on TN's LAX-CDG nonstop; aa.com is incapable of displaying award space on TN flights. You can also search aa.com for award space on AB's (seasonal) LAX-DUS nonstop, and on IB's LAX-MAD nonstop.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
You da' man/woman!

Great tip; just confirmed exact date I wanted for 2pax on TN...$11USD for two
Thanks for your insider information. ^
You're welcome, and congrats! Were you also able to find award space on the same ticket for a connecting flight from the Bay Area to LAX?
Old Jul 26, 2017, 2:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Great points..thanks! Can you tell me, aside from BA, am I just searching too early for other partner airlines? Do all of them release inventory about a year in advance, or could it be closer to 6 or 9 months?
Originally Posted by econometrics
Check these threads, as they have lots of good info for you to peruse:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...stance-45.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...aster-thd.html
Be sure to read those threads; there is a lot of useful information in the Wikiposts atbthe top of the page.

/Moderator
Old Jul 26, 2017, 2:32 pm

Sadly, no, couldn't make the SFO to LAX portion, but I was able to get SaverAward for 2 non-stop business class...I'll consider it a big win. We are going to spend a couple of nights in Paris before continuing on to catch our cruise (Dover, UK).

Now I just need to figure out CDG to LCY on a LCC; shouldn't prove too hard. Thank you again.

You're welcome, and congrats! Were you also able to find award space on the same ticket for a connecting flight from the Bay Area to LAX?
Will do ^

Originally Posted by JDiver
Be sure to read those threads; there is a lot of useful information in the Wikiposts atbthe top of the page.

/Moderator

Last edited by JY1024; Jul 30, 2017 at 5:43 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old Jul 26, 2017, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Sadly, no, couldn't make the SFO to LAX portion, but I was able to get SaverAward for 2 non-stop business class...I'll consider it a big win. We are going to spend a couple of nights in Paris before continuing on to catch our cruise (Dover, UK).

Now I just need to figure out CDG to LCY on a LCC; shouldn't prove too hard. Thank you again.
If you're cruising out of Dover, are you sure you want to fly into LCY, as opposed to, say, LGW?
Old Jul 26, 2017, 2:59 pm

Or, maybe fly directly to Dover, or use bus or rail? See https://www.goeuro.com/travel/paris/dover

and buy rail tix via SNCF, never raileurope ( they won't offer you discounted fares).
Old Jul 26, 2017, 3:08 pm

I haven't really looked into which airport is best/closest; cruise departure was just changed from Tilbury to Dover. If LGW is closest, then that's what I'll book.

Cheers!

If you're cruising out of Dover, are you sure you want to fly into LCY, as opposed to, say, LGW?
Old Jul 26, 2017, 7:19 pm

Though the thread linked to is focused on baggage fees waived with credit cards, the Wikipost at the top of the page contains links to credit card terms and conditions so you can compare them. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...g-baggage.html
Thanks for the rapid and helpful responses. I'll ask over there.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 7:24 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
I haven't really looked into which airport is best/closest; cruise departure was just changed from Tilbury to Dover. If LGW is closest, then that's what I'll book.

Cheers!
IMHO, take the train
- see the French countryside
- experience high-speed rail
- experience the Chunnel
- probably faster journey from downtown Paree to the dock at Dover than flying
Old Jul 26, 2017, 7:44 pm

Agreed. It apeears to be around 3.5 hours and is very reasonably priced.

Originally Posted by pandaperth
IMHO, take the train
- see the French countryside
- experience high-speed rail
- experience the Chunnel
- probably faster journey from downtown Paree to the dock at Dover than flying
Old Jul 26, 2017, 8:11 pm

Missed your post earlier; just saw it now. Thanks for the link, I'm going to book rail and enjoy the scenery. ^

Or, maybe fly directly to Dover, or use bus or rail? See https://www.goeuro.com/travel/paris/dover

and buy rail tix via SNCF, never raileurope ( they won't offer you discounted fares).
Old Jul 26, 2017, 8:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hertz Gold
So my new wife is a USair retiree. I am just learning about all of the travel standby options. Anyone here have any experience with this? or where can I go to get more info?
Thanks
Woody
Old Jul 26, 2017, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by woodyth
So my new wife is a USair retiree. I am just learning about all of the travel standby options. Anyone here have any experience with this? or where can I go to get more info?
Thanks
Woody
Hi, Woody,

FlyerTalk is mostly oriented to revenue and award flying, but there's one thread that might be useful: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.