Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2016, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2017 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The older AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

[2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2017, 5:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by cameljockey
If I am looking to secure a one way ticket from (Spain (MAD?), or France (CDG?)) to SFO, in late Sept to early Oct 2017, when can I expect AA to release the preponderance of such award seating?

Thanks
There's no predictability.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Typically the miles are pulled right away as soon as the upgrade clears. So there's a chance something fell through the cracks and you'll get lucky, especially as you didn't get on the list till the airport and it didn't clear till the gate. However there's also a chance that it's just taking AA a while to catch up. There are lots of recent reports about AA audits pulling SWUs for flights that happened months ago.

Also...you will receive credit for the original class of service you paid for (J), not the class of service you upgraded to (F). So that seems ok.
thanks - all what I had figured, though it has been quite some time since I've been flying enough to be up to date.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA EXPLAT, AS MVP 75K, Star Alliance Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, SPG GOLD, HH Gold
Trying to find an answer to this BUT i am flying JFK>HEL on AY and arrive on a flight late morning into JFK non OW carrier. I am unable to obtain mobile BP via online check in but wanting to meet a friend airside at T8 prior to AY desks opening. Does anyone know if I can self service kiosk check in for AY at T8?? (No checked bags) Any info would be greatly appreciated, many thanks!
Old Jul 23, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA EP
I believe AY has online checkin.

Originally Posted by Levi Maeschan
Trying to find an answer to this BUT i am flying JFK>HEL on AY and arrive on a flight late morning into JFK non OW carrier. I am unable to obtain mobile BP via online check in but wanting to meet a friend airside at T8 prior to AY desks opening. Does anyone know if I can self service kiosk check in for AY at T8?? (No checked bags) Any info would be greatly appreciated, many thanks!
Old Jul 23, 2017, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Originally Posted by JDiver
I'd try to find the old number, or call. There aren't any major advantages or disadvantages I can think of, but that's just my quirky opinion. Perhaps it could make a small difference to an agent or employee seeing you have a legacy AAdvantage number.
They could not find either my Advantage or USAir information using the account numbers I found on old mailings so they created a new AAdvantage # for me.

I have some more questions, I swear I spent time on here searching but cannot find the answer.

I'm an AA frequent flyer's worst nightmare, I want to buy up to first since I don't have any status yet. I applied for a Citi credit card and was approved, but I haven't received the card in the mail yet. I'm waiting until I get this card (hopefully the ticket price doesn't go up) before buying my ticket.

If I buy this ticket at a coach fare with the intent to buy up:
1) can I indeed get a receipt for the coach fare that shows the coach price?
2) can I buy up to first without having to pay a change fee? I found this thread, but it only talks about award tickets.

Is this the best way for me to go about getting a first class seat on my flights? Thanks!!!
Old Jul 23, 2017, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA EXPLAT, AS MVP 75K, Star Alliance Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, SPG GOLD, HH Gold
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
I believe AY has online checkin.
Appreciate the response, AY allowed me to check in online EXCEPT they wouldn't issue me a mobile BP, so I didn't want to have to wait until the counters opens for the flight so was hoping the self service kiosks at JFK T8 could print me a pass??? Meeting a friend so trying to see him before his flight leaves :/
Old Jul 23, 2017, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA EP
Guess u will have to wait until counters open. I don't think AY has a kiosk at JFK.

Originally Posted by Levi Maeschan
Appreciate the response, AY allowed me to check in online EXCEPT they wouldn't issue me a mobile BP, so I didn't want to have to wait until the counters opens for the flight so was hoping the self service kiosks at JFK T8 could print me a pass??? Meeting a friend so trying to see him before his flight leaves :/
Old Jul 23, 2017, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Traveller
They could not find either my Advantage or USAir information using the account numbers I found on old mailings so they created a new AAdvantage # for me.

I have some more questions, I swear I spent time on here searching but cannot find the answer.

I'm an AA frequent flyer's worst nightmare, I want to buy up to first since I don't have any status yet. I applied for a Citi credit card and was approved, but I haven't received the card in the mail yet. I'm waiting until I get this card (hopefully the ticket price doesn't go up) before buying my ticket.

If I buy this ticket at a coach fare with the intent to buy up:
1) can I indeed get a receipt for the coach fare that shows the coach price?
2) can I buy up to first without having to pay a change fee? I found this thread, but it only talks about award tickets.

Is this the best way for me to go about getting a first class seat on my flights? Thanks!!!
AA allows one to upfare without charging a change fee. See Upgrading AA Fare Code or Class of Service - Upfare / Upfaring (master thd).

Your best bet is to purchase the economy fare, print out the receipt when it is issued, then call in to uofare.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
AA allows one to upfare without charging a change fee. See Upgrading AA Fare Code or Class of Service - Upfare / Upfaring (master thd).

Your best bet is to purchase the economy fare, print out the receipt when it is issued, then call in to uofare.
Thanks again! I was searching for "Buy Up" and could not find this thread.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by Traveller
Thanks again! I was searching for "Buy Up" and could not find this thread.
My pleasure. Moderating has its benefits - we try for title consistency, and if we can remember what we've done in our curatorial duties it's easy to share. Bon voyage.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:55 am

Programs: points traveller
any ideas for how to get telephone agents to see award class availability in their system? I've found QF availability in P and U class (F & J respectively) but won't show on AA online, or via phone agent.

FWIW also showing on Avios search tool
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by diningdecadence
any ideas for how to get telephone agents to see award class availability in their system? I've found QF availability in P and U class (F & J respectively) but won't show on AA online, or via phone agent.

FWIW also showing on Avios search tool
With EY you must call the Australia or New Zealand numbers (the Mindspring call centre in Suva, Fiji, actually). With other airlines, there's sometimes problems with phantom availability. Lots of pesky variables for awards.

Have you tried ExpertFlyer yet? There's a five day trial available.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 5:29 pm

Programs: points traveller
With EY you must call the Australia or New Zealand numbers (the Mindspring call centre in Suva, Fiji, actually). With other airlines, there's sometimes problems with phantom availability. Lots of pesky variables for awards.

Have you tried ExpertFlyer yet? There's a five day trial available.
sorry yeah didn't explain it well.

expertflyer shows the availability, and i can see it on QF, Avios, Asiamiles search tools, but not on AA website, and not via phone agent.

it's a QF flight/ aircraft not EY btw
Old Jul 25, 2017, 3:29 am

Programs: Delta Diamond
Trying to decide on a C+ seat for my wife and I. HNL to LAX
We normally fly delta but have some miles I wanted to use so we booked AA as it was the cheapest at the time

The AA site says its is an Airbus Jet. But doesnt specify what version. What version is this most likely to be?

My wife looked at Seat Guru (not sure she says looking at the right plane tho)says Seats 8A/B has less leg room due to bulkhead wall being close. I'm 6'3" so the extra leg room is needed.

Seatguru also says that exit rows do not recline? Is this true?

Which are the decent c+ seats?
Thanks
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: AA LP pleb, QR Plat., Bonvoy Ti, IHG Diamond Amb, Foolish Hoarder of Miles, Fid. Def.
Originally Posted by cboy
Trying to decide on a C+ seat for my wife and I. HNL to LAX
We normally fly delta but have some miles I wanted to use so we booked AA as it was the cheapest at the time

The AA site says its is an Airbus Jet. But doesnt specify what version. What version is this most likely to be?

My wife looked at Seat Guru (not sure she says looking at the right plane tho)says Seats 8A/B has less leg room due to bulkhead wall being close. I'm 6'3" so the extra leg room is needed.

Seatguru also says that exit rows do not recline? Is this true?

Which are the decent c+ seats?
Thanks
AA operates the A321 (designated as 32B) on that route these days. Honestly not my favorite configuration, to put it mildly. Took me a minute to grok what you meant by C+ (shows how recently I've had occasion to fly Delta); the equivalent product, Main Cabin Extra or MCE, on this particular aircraft does indeed have the restrictions you spotted on SeatGuru. Row 9 would probably be fine if it's available. Looks pretty similar to Delta's configuration on the same equipment, so if you've flown their A321s you may find it familiar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.