Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2016, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2017 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The older AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

[2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:02 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by chauffeurboy
I am planning a trip from Tokyo to Siem Reap Cambodia to visit Angkor Wat and then a flight to Singapore to catch a cruise to HKG. We are flying Finnair/Japan Airlines for the rest of the trip home to yyz.

Is there a routing between NRT/HND and Siem Reap that does not take two days using oneworld airlines. I would have thought using either Cathay, Japan or Malaysian this would be possible but I am having no luck so far. I had hoped to use points from AAdvantage to cover my tickets in J or F.

Any help would be gratefully received!
Another possibility would be to fly JAL from Tokyo to Bangkok (a few direct flights daily), then make the 1-hr hop to Siem Reap (many direct flights daily). Yeah, the latter flight's not oneworld, but it's cheap. And there's a good chance you could save that extra day.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by sonar671
Hello Everybody,

Very new to these forums so please excuse me if this post doesn't belong here, so please let me know if this post is in the wrong spot. However I was wondering if somebody could help me out with the following...

I have an upcoming trip this march. My flight schedule is as follows:
CBR-SYD (QF) SYD-LAX-JFK (AA) JFK-SFO-LAX-SYD (AA) SYD-CBR (QF) all in O economy booking class.

I am gold with Turkish airlines, however that does not help with these flights. we have a long wait in LAX on the way over and upon being there last time, it was not the greatest airport. I was looking to somehow get a status match to acquire lounge access etc for this upcoming trip.

I have done some research already, discovering that AA will grant me a status challenge however this will cost $400US, however I am not sure if I would make the 12,500 miles minimum?. I cannot get a status match with AB as I do not live in the US or EU. I have seen that I could possibly get a status match with Alaskan Airlines however would this be worthwhile? and also can I get into AA lounges with Alaskan gold? or can I get into Alaskan lounges if flying on AA Metal?
Or is there another program or way that this could be achieved for the above flights??

My other question is, if I cannot get any type of status match etc, should I just credit the points from the flights to my QFF or would there be another program that would benefit me more by crediting the miles to that program?
Any ideas and or information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanking you all kindly in advance.
your best bet and way less trouble is to just buy a single-entry pass into any of the lounges. There are several lounges at LAX that allow you to pay to enter and that'll be way less of a hassle (and also cheaper) than dealing with status matches and status challenges.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:28 pm

I have 230k miles on AA, trying to get a family of four IND>MUC on Sept 3, and back from Rome on Sept 19. The economy saver requires us to do two stops, economy anytime gets us there with one. Economy anytime allows good seats (bulkhead or two and two).

So, may have to buy miles to get home. Right now, buy 100k, get 50k free. That gets us there and back, in economy anytime, which I'm good with. Pay roughly $3200 and use the miles I already have, gets us over and back, in decent seats.

Any chance at all we'll get an upgrade (HAHAHAHAH)? I'm nothing on AA. Was gold, due to AA Platiumum Mastercard, but think that expires.

And, if I buy the miles, benefit to paying with above CC, or Chase Sapphire Reserve?

Thanks!
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:05 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by airboss1998
I have 230k miles on AA, trying to get a family of four IND>MUC on Sept 3, and back from Rome on Sept 19. The economy saver requires us to do two stops, economy anytime gets us there with one. Economy anytime allows good seats (bulkhead or two and two).

So, may have to buy miles to get home. Right now, buy 100k, get 50k free. That gets us there and back, in economy anytime, which I'm good with. Pay roughly $3200 and use the miles I already have, gets us over and back, in decent seats.

Any chance at all we'll get an upgrade (HAHAHAHAH)? I'm nothing on AA. Was gold, due to AA Platiumum Mastercard, but think that expires.

And, if I buy the miles, benefit to paying with above CC, or Chase Sapphire Reserve?

Thanks!
Right now, it looks like paying for the flights would cost $5428. Vs 230k miles and $3200 is your call (and remember that redeeming with miles still leaves you paying $ for taxes and fees).

Paying on your Citi AA Platinum card earns 2 miles/$. Paying on your CSR earns 3 UR pts/$. Again, it's your call as to how much you value the miles and the points.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by airboss1998

Thanks!
First, you can buy the tickets outright right now for $1281, so roughly $5200 for your family of 4. If you're willing to spend $3200 to buy the miles to get AAnytime awards, that means you'd be spending 380,000 miles to save only $2000 on your tickets. This is a horrible, horrible use of miles.

Second, there are 1-stop options available at the sAAver level in both directions, just not for 4 passengers. I see 1 seat on the outbound IND-PHL-MUC, and 3 seats on the return FCO-CLT-IND.

I would buy one ticket a $1281, then book 1 sAAver and 2 AAnytime on the way over, with 3 sAAvers on the return. If my math is correct this would be $1281 and 215k miles.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA - Gold Hilton - Diamond
AA - Is It Time To Go?

Not really a newbie, but didn't really know where to ask this question. Is it time to call it quits with airline loyalty? I have been an AA elite member for over a decade. I've done plenty of mileage runs just to enjoy the benefits; all on personal travel (my dime). Ms. SANman never really understood why we had to go through DFW and ORD to get to MIA, but began to enjoy first class and stopped asking why. But, the benefits are fading and the costs are rising. I think it is time to go. But, before I do...my thoughts.

I have 965K Million Miler balance and travel monthly to PDX and about 5-7 other trips a year for fun but often find I am struggling at the end of the year to reach Gold. I think I should focus this year on hitting the Million and then switch my allegiance to Alaska Air. It seems, I will fly them most and status may help. Or just go for price?? Thoughts? I do appreciate all the wisdom from the FT experts.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 10:50 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by SANman
Not really a newbie, but didn't really know where to ask this question. Is it time to call it quits with airline loyalty? I have been an AA elite member for over a decade. I've done plenty of mileage runs just to enjoy the benefits; all on personal travel (my dime). Ms. SANman never really understood why we had to go through DFW and ORD to get to MIA, but began to enjoy first class and stopped asking why. But, the benefits are fading and the costs are rising. I think it is time to go. But, before I do...my thoughts.

I have 965K Million Miler balance and travel monthly to PDX and about 5-7 other trips a year for fun but often find I am struggling at the end of the year to reach Gold. I think I should focus this year on hitting the Million and then switch my allegiance to Alaska Air. It seems, I will fly them most and status may help. Or just go for price?? Thoughts? I do appreciate all the wisdom from the FT experts.
IMO, Gold for life will defray some fees and be useful. Otherwise, you'd not be he first to leave AA for AS.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 2:55 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
did a quick search but couldn't find the answer.

am doing a dummy booking (that I might actually end up booking) on aa.com and am entering my BAEC number (BA GGL so OW Emerald). on the next page where it offers me to select seats, it's got prices for all the seats and adds that to the cost.

do OW Emeralds no longer get free seat selection on an AA international Y ticket?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 3:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Originally Posted by chris1979
did a quick search but couldn't find the answer.

am doing a dummy booking (that I might actually end up booking) on aa.com and am entering my BAEC number (BA GGL so OW Emerald). on the next page where it offers me to select seats, it's got prices for all the seats and adds that to the cost.

do OW Emeralds no longer get free seat selection on an AA international Y ticket?
No change. OW elites still get free seats. Sounds like your baec number isn't being recognized by aa. Try putting the reservation on hold and then going back into the seat map - it should adjust the prices to 0.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 3:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Originally Posted by explorer84
Im Alaska MVP...how do i get that info on my American Airlines profile/ticket? want to take advantage of the new boarding

thanks
You can't save the info in your aa.com profile. You can enter your AS frequent flyer number INSTEAD OF your aadvantage number when you book and you will get AS MVP benefits, which also include free access to preferred seats and discounted mce.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by sonar671
we have a long wait in LAX on the way over and upon being there last time, it was not the greatest airport. I was looking to somehow get a status match to acquire lounge access
Not sure when the last time you were through LAX but now that the international terminal is connected airside to terminals 4-5-6-7 you have a lot of options if you're looking for food/lounges. If I were you, I would simply pay for access at any of the F/J lounges in the international terminal -- Qantas & the Star Alliance lounges are great, as is the Oneworld J lounge.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:46 pm

Question: I have some AA gift cards and I need to buy Dubai-Delhi ticket. AA does not fly Dubai-Delhi but Jet Airways does and it is a partner of AA. AA.com does not show any Dubai-Delhi flight. Can I call AA and book Dubai-Delhi flight on phone using AA gift cards ?
Old Jan 20, 2017, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by niting
Question: I have some AA gift cards and I need to buy Dubai-Delhi ticket. AA does not fly Dubai-Delhi but Jet Airways does and it is a partner of AA. AA.com does not show any Dubai-Delhi flight. Can I call AA and book Dubai-Delhi flight on phone using AA gift cards ?
You can only use gift cards on fares that AA has filed and is thus selling them on their own website. AA does not sell any Dubai-Delhi flights themselves (same as they don't sell any intra-european flights by themselves or any other random non-NA-involving flights) so for those you can't use gift cards. In fact you can't use anything because AA won't sell those under any circumstance.

TL;DR: No.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Can you upfare AA codeshares to premium economy?

Looking to fly ORD-HKG and back on CX. I can book them as AA flight numbers, but want to know if I could upfare it (would it be to W*)?

I have to book through work, so I have to jump through hoops if I want to sit anywhere other then the back of the bus.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: BAEC
Flying on the a330-300 from Lhr to CLT. Online reviews make it look like a very dated cabin. How is it? Should I change to indirect via Washington which means Lon to Washington would be on a BA A380? Judgemental I know but thought I'd ask

also when do the window seats open up on AA? Is it 24 hours in advance?

thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.