Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2017 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 22, 2017, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing

NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)
  • Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
    2. Executive Platinum
    3. Platinum Pro
    4. Platinum
    5. Gold
  • Upgrade type
    1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
    2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
    3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)
  • Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months

• Booking class

• Time of request"

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

U]Link[/U] to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Updated 22 May 2017 by JDiver
[/COLOR]
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2016, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

I've not had to travel so much the last few years, so I've lost track of the some of the guru level tips for navigating AA. But, now look like I'm headed back in to a busy period.

I assume expertflyer.com is still the best (or at least equally good to others) way of checking whether upgrades are available right now for a given flight (international in my case).

It would seem like someone would have figured out a way to monitor and build up a record of when & how many upgrades became available for specific flights in the past. But, I haven't found that.

Are there any other resources (than expertflyer) that I should be looking at for judging what our upgrade chances are?

thanks,
-BP
Old Dec 31, 2016, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Upgrade space generally opens up T-48 before departure for SWUs. Other than that its random.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Col Ronson
Upgrade space generally opens up T-48 before departure for SWUs. Other than that its random.
Thanks. Helpful to know. I've been out of the loop for a few years traveling infrequently and am suddenly facing a steep ramp up again.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 8:12 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
MODERATOR NOTES

Please use this thread to discuss upgrade availability on specific flights for calendar year 2017.

• For general information, see this FAQ entry: What are the chances that my upgrade will clear?

• For specific information herein, try using Search this Thread for your relevant airport code(s), as well as for the previous archived threads:

• Tools like ExpertFlyer and KVS can be useful in seeing upgrade availability as well as seats for sale available in the cabin you seek. The Travel Tools Forum has extensive threads about these tools.
sica4 has generously started a system for tracking upgrade percentages. Please see THIS PREVIOUS POST or click HERE to contribute.

Please do not ask members to post proprietary information (e.g. ExpertFlyer data) regarding upgrade chances (a thoughtful, helpful member may post information, but you are not allowed to request it). Subscriptions and free trials for these services are available.

The AA Forum Moderator Team

Last edited by JY1024; Dec 31, 2016 at 10:04 pm
Old Dec 31, 2016, 8:12 pm

Hi guys, am looking to fly AA 61 or 175 in May. Which day is easier for upgrade? I can depart Friday Saturday or Sunday.

Also, my wife and daughter will be traveling with me and only I am EXP. Wife and daughter are golds. With companions given my EXP status starting next year, anyone know how that would work? Would both of them clear with me or just one?
Old Jan 1, 2017, 4:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by babypuwet
Hi guys, am looking to fly AA 61 or 175 in May. Which day is easier for upgrade? I can depart Friday Saturday or Sunday.

Also, my wife and daughter will be traveling with me and only I am EXP. Wife and daughter are golds. With companions given my EXP status starting next year, anyone know how that would work? Would both of them clear with me or just one?
I generally find Sundays and midweek to be easiest to upgrade to NRT. Best advice would be to get an EF membership and check the specific loads for the particular dates/flights you're considering.

Who knows how/when the inherited companion status will work, honestly. I really don't think it will matter in your case. For transpacs, I've only seen C inventory opened up 24-48hrs prior to departure, at which point you should all clear together before going to the airport list (assuming there's sufficient business class space at that time). Again, an EF membership and a little vigilance will allow you to call the EXP desk and ensure all upgrades are cleared once C inventory appears (potentially even skipping those ahead of you on the waitlist).

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 1, 2017, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
I generally find Sundays and midweek to be easiest to upgrade to NRT. Best advice would be to get an EF membership and check the specific loads for the particular dates/flights you're considering.

Who knows how/when the inherited companion status will work, honestly. I really don't think it will matter in your case. For transpacs, I've only seen C inventory opened up 24-48hrs prior to departure, at which point you should all clear together before going to the airport list (assuming there's sufficient business class space at that time). Again, an EF membership and a little vigilance will allow you to call the EXP desk and ensure all upgrades are cleared once C inventory appears (potentially even skipping those ahead of you on the waitlist).

-FlyerBeek
Thanks for the advice Flyerbeek. Since I couldn't travel mid-week, I was thinking Sunday would be a good day as well, however, I actually do have an EF subscription and Sundays are actually showing as packed for the next couple of weeks. Not sure if that's the general trend. Also, C inventory hasn't been appearing for me the last couple of months unless its a flight with over half of the business class cabin being empty.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 5:25 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
I'm due to travel DFW-NRT a week from Monday (1-9) on the later flight. SWU is requested, but J cabin is filling up.

I think I heard someplace that NRT flights have a lot of no-shows/cancellations in J. How true is that?
Old Jan 1, 2017, 5:45 am

Traveling on AA 65 ZRH>JFK on 1/3 and SWU hasn't cleared. Wondering if there's any upgrade space left...
Old Jan 1, 2017, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by Astromiles
Traveling on AA 65 ZRH>JFK on 1/3 and SWU hasn't cleared. Wondering if there's any upgrade space left...
Flight still shows J3 so there is still a chance.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
How are upgrades from LGA to non-AA hubs as a Plat using stickers?

I checked the Google Docs sheet, but LGA data is limited and old. I'll be flying to ORD, ATL, DCA, Richmond, MSP, DFW and MIA from LGA. How are upgrades on these routes generally?
Old Jan 2, 2017, 7:05 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
It is not clear to me when advance upgrade space is released: in past years it has sometimes been released in batches a few months ahead, but maybe now just 329 days in advance?

A few weeks before departure it is easier to assess your chances from the seat map. I normally book a few months before travel so have typically been first on the upgrade list, and have almost always been upgraded even on apparently full flights. (But no longer when EQD priority is introduced. )
Old Jan 2, 2017, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by BlatheringPenguin

I assume expertflyer.com is still the best (or at least equally good to others) way of checking whether upgrades are available right now for a given flight (international in my case).
Set an EF award alert and it will automatically check for award/upgrade inventory. Move fast to reticket when you get the alert. EF doesn't assess the likelihood of an eventual upgrade success, however.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by Col Ronson
Pretty sure there is no such rule, nor enough anecdotal evidence to make such an assertion, or even count on a likelihood.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: DL, AA PLT, US, HH Gold, BW Diamond, Avis PP, Choice PLT
Hi. Can someone please check the availability of aa731 on Jan 5 lhr -clt. Been on the wait list since August and a dummy booking is showing 15 open business class seats. Wondering why we haven't been upgraded yet. (Me plus wife with platinum status (miles+copay))

thanks.

Last edited by conklaven; Jan 2, 2017 at 4:04 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.