Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2017 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 22, 2017, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing

NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)
  • Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
    2. Executive Platinum
    3. Platinum Pro
    4. Platinum
    5. Gold
  • Upgrade type
    1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
    2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
    3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)
  • Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months

• Booking class

• Time of request"

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

U]Link[/U] to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Updated 22 May 2017 by JDiver
[/COLOR]
Print Wikipost

2017 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2017, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by theone1080
Hi all,

I am an EXP looking to take a trip to PEK in early December. Need to use SWU for myself and two companions. Better chances at DFW? LAX? ORD?

LAX-PEK is relatively new, does that help?

All are operated by 787.

Doesnt seem to be any availability on EF right now.

I am flexible on connecting airport, just trying to best chance for three to clear.

I am looking to depart either Wed/Thurs and return on Sun/Mon.

Any thoughts or insights would be appreciated, thanks!
Although there's no data points yet as the flight hasn't started, I agree that LAX-PEK should be the best shot. AA generally makes upgrade space much easier to obtain on new routes like this as the paid business demand isn't there yet.

That said, if you can travel Wed-Mon in early December, as you mentioned, your chances should be pretty good via ORD and DFW as well.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:33 am

I'd like some advice on booking next summer's flights to Maui (2 adults, 1 child), as this is the first time that we'll be going outside of February and September. Here are the details:

Departure: 6/13/18
PHL-LAX: 2315
LAX-OGG: 205

Return: 6/23/18
OGG-LAX: 254
LAX-PHL: 2061

I'm struggling with whether or not I should buy the tickets in economy right now and put all three of us on the 1st class upgrade list using award miles, or simply booking the entire trip using miles. The flights I want are available in AAnytime right now, but not MileSAAver, and they're actually considerably more miles than they were a few weeks ago when I checked. In fact, I'd likely have to spend $1500 to buy the miles required to go through with it.

Is this something that Expert Flyer could help me out with (when to book economy tickets with cash and then when upgrades become available)? Prices are a little high right now based on my tracking, though I'd still be comfortable buying them now if it meant there was a much greater chance at being upgraded using miles later on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
LAX-MIA - AA 1088 - Sunday, Aug 27th

Any thoughts on a Y-J upgrade on a UDU for Sunday's flight on the 77W? Looks like 10 seats available on the seat map in J but showing J4D3I0 in EF + 5 open seats in MCE. Booked this about 2 weeks ago into booking class "G". PlatinumPro with just over 11K EQD's in 2017 (plus a few trips late last year but not sure about how to calculate those EQD's into the upgrade mix).
Old Aug 25, 2017, 11:38 am

Programs: AA EP
My guess is not good for a UDU. That flight tends to have allot of CK/EPs that will burn an instrument, which historically, seems to clear at 24 and 48 hours. And also that route is very very CK/EP heavy due to it being the 77w and they would be ahead of u for UDUs.

But ialways a chance! Good Luck!

Originally Posted by ORDPLATAA
Any thoughts on a Y-J upgrade on a UDU for Sunday's flight on the 77W? Looks like 10 seats available on the seat map in J but showing J4D3I0 in EF + 5 open seats in MCE. Booked this about 2 weeks ago into booking class "G". PlatinumPro with just over 11K EQD's in 2017 (plus a few trips late last year but not sure about how to calculate those EQD's into the upgrade mix).

Last edited by AAExecPlatFlier; Aug 25, 2017 at 3:17 pm
Old Aug 25, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
My guess is not good for a Urdu. That flight tends to have allot of CK/EPs that will burn an instrument, which historically, seems to clear at 24 and 48 hours. And also that route is very very CK/EP heavy due to it being the 77w and they would be ahead of u for UDUs.

But ialways a chance! Good Luck!
Appreciate the feedback. I am in a window MCE seat so shouldn't be too bad (but keep scanning for an aisle).
Old Aug 25, 2017, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Originally Posted by WearyTravellerMSP
very dense. I'm about 2 for 5 CLT-SFO as an EXP. With only 7 left, i'd put chances at under 10%
Its been 10 days since I posted (#590) that there were plenty of the ~16 exits still open. Every one is now filled/assigned. And J shows 4, (5 unassigned) on EF. I may make it as EXP but PP buddy may not.

My DCA-CLT leg cleared very early this morning, or T-76.

I thought it would be helpful to see the atrophy of inventory over time and maybe make sense of it..

What I forgot in booking was that CLT has major financial services organizations and personnel in the area. And that a Monday AM departure arriving in time to get downtown by noon or shortly thereafter - would be EXP heavy.

May be a decent move though. At least Ill get there. I don’t know what the effect will be in DFW (where I usually route thru for SFO) given the Hurricane Harvey track.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA, United, Alaska, Virgin America
Originally Posted by NTP9766
I'd like some advice on booking next summer's flights to Maui (2 adults, 1 child), as this is the first time that we'll be going outside of February and September. Here are the details:

Departure: 6/13/18
PHL-LAX: 2315
LAX-OGG: 205

Return: 6/23/18
OGG-LAX: 254
LAX-PHL: 2061

I'm struggling with whether or not I should buy the tickets in economy right now and put all three of us on the 1st class upgrade list using award miles, or simply booking the entire trip using miles. The flights I want are available in AAnytime right now, but not MileSAAver, and they're actually considerably more miles than they were a few weeks ago when I checked. In fact, I'd likely have to spend $1500 to buy the miles required to go through with it.

Is this something that Expert Flyer could help me out with (when to book economy tickets with cash and then when upgrades become available)? Prices are a little high right now based on my tracking, though I'd still be comfortable buying them now if it meant there was a much greater chance at being upgraded using miles later on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My experience with waitlisting far out is terrible. I don't even have confidence the system works. Coupled with AA's stingy as F upgrade releases, you'll never get 3 at once and you'll never know if you actually are even still properly on the waitlist, especially if there are the likely 2 - 3 schedule changes and ticket re-issues between now and your flight. I'd set your alerts now in Expertflyer without buying for whatever inventory you want and wait for them. I'd consider also thinking about holding out for 2 or 1 upgrade or saaver awardand buying the others outright or doing Anytime for them.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by ORDPLATAA
Appreciate the feedback. I am in a window MCE seat so shouldn't be too bad (but keep scanning for an aisle).
Update: UDU did not clear. I am #12 on the list but did manage to snag 17D so got an aisle. All good- even got to try out new T5 AC - opening day is today.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 12:22 pm

Looking to book RDU to Tokyo trip for April 2018. I'm trying to use SWUs from my dad- he is exec platinum. I don't have any significant status with AA.

Ideal travel is the Saturday flight DFW > NRD. When we called in, not much was available that could be upgraded instantly- departing the following Friday was the first day with confirmed upgrade available.

Since it's pretty early, I imagine I'll be towards front of the waitlist. Will I inherit my dad's status (he's not traveling with) or will true EXP's get upraded before me?

All in all, how are my chances? If I'm reading this table from EF correctly, it looks like this Saturday's flight doesn't have any C seats available on the longhaul: http://imgur.com/a/mSLTy
Old Aug 30, 2017, 2:16 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Greg Cronheim
Looking to book RDU to Tokyo trip for April 2018. I'm trying to use SWUs from my dad- he is exec platinum. I don't have any significant status with AA.

Ideal travel is the Saturday flight DFW > NRD. When we called in, not much was available that could be upgraded instantly- departing the following Friday was the first day with confirmed upgrade available.

Since it's pretty early, I imagine I'll be towards front of the waitlist. Will I inherit my dad's status (he's not traveling with) or will true EXP's get upraded before me?

All in all, how are my chances? If I'm reading this table from EF correctly, it looks like this Saturday's flight doesn't have any C seats available on the longhaul: http://imgur.com/a/mSLTy
Your chances are brutally improbable . You may use your dad's SWU, but you will absolutely not "inherit" your dad's status. You'll waitlist on the basis of your own status - the order is Concierge Ket, Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, Platinum, Gold, no status (you). Within those groups, by last 12 month EQD spend. Do yourself a favor and read the Wikipost at the top of this page before proceeding any farther.

Time of request has no bearing at all on where one is on the waitlist, anymore. If you really want that upgrade, book when there's availability.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Your chances are brutally improbable . You may use your dad's SWU, but you will absolutely not "inherit" your dad's status. You'll waitlist on the basis of your own status - the order is Concierge Ket, Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, Platinum, Gold, no status (you). Within those groups, by last 12 month EQD spend. Do yourself a favor and read the Wikipost at the top of this page before proceeding any farther.

Time of request has no bearing at all on where one is on the waitlist, anymore. If you really want that upgrade, book when there's availability.
Bummer. Thanks a bunch for the info. I went through expertflyer for a few weeks' range and this is all the availability (target dates were leaving 3/24 or 3/31):
Departing:
Fri 4/6 - C3 (3 seats in C)
Tue 4/10 - C2

Returning:
Wed 4/04 - C1
Tue 4/10 - C1
Tue 4/24 - C1

Probably especially tough considering peak cherry blossom season. Looks like I'll have to pick another destination if really hoping to use the upgrades.

Edit: Is there any pattern to what destination(s) might be more likely if I were to try and just see where I may be able to go and use these with instant confirm? Pretty much open to anywhere, preferably first half of next year.

Last edited by Greg Cronheim; Aug 30, 2017 at 7:37 pm
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:09 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Greg Cronheim
Bummer. Thanks a bunch for the info. I went through expertflyer for a few weeks' range and this is all the availability (target dates were leaving 3/24 or 3/31):
Departing:
Fri 4/6 - C3 (3 seats in C)
Tue 4/10 - C2

Returning:
Wed 4/04 - C1
Tue 4/10 - C1
Tue 4/24 - C1

Probably especially tough considering peak cherry blossom season. Looks like I'll have to pick another destination if really hoping to use the upgrades.
You've obviously done some EF homework. ^

My only suggestion is to also keep checking other airports as well: ORD-NRT, LAX-NRT, LAX-HND. Best of luck!

Oh - and welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Aug 31, 2017, 7:46 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Elite upgrade window begins at T-X from first flight for second flight?

Had a UDU clear on the second leg of a two flight connecting itinerary. It was T-103 from the second flight and T-98 from the first flight. Since EXP upgrade window is T-100 did I get upgraded early on the second flight because the time window is calculated from the first flight? At the time the upgrade cleared for the second flight the first flight did not clear so it really felt like I got upgraded T-103 which surprised me. I had always assumed the upgrade window is in reference to each flights departure time. Or did I get lucky and get an early upgrade?
Old Aug 31, 2017, 8:39 am

JFK-RDU and back. T-100 cleared for 2 both ways.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 12:38 am

Programs: AA, United, Alaska, Virgin America
Sfo Jfk no hope of SWU

AA 18 10:30pm on Thursday Aug 31 2017 - exec plat with SWUs for two on the waitlist as the top for 9 months. Data point - roughly 20 calls to AA and only two had real requests to revenue both flat out denied. Also the agents CAN see the waitlist, they just tell you they don't have access. In the end they only cleared one of us, so we had to give up the upgrade to still fly together. So honestly why even give the SWUs anymore? They have limited the quantity and availability and they have no intention of letting people use them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.